Rene herse/compass tyres

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

jemima wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:58 pm
LouisN,

If you're thinking of ReneHerse with tubes, you could consider the bit cheaper Soma Supple Vitesse EX or SL.
Only one 38 mm available in SL version :cry: frame can't take more volume than that . EX seems like another tire to me, thicker and bulky.
And the bigger tires are almost as pricey as René Herse ones.
René Herse with tubes is a no go ?

Louis :)

jemima

by jemima

LouisN wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 pm
René Herse with tubes is a no go ?

That would be fine.
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Perhaps slightly OT but in reference to the Gravelking SKs mentioned earlier. I had massive problems trying to get mine to hold air in the first place. An extra layer of rim tape and LOTS of sealant provided a just-about-adequate result, but they picked up tiny holes very frequently and didn't self-seal well. Running them with tubes was a pinch-puncture fest. I ended up giving them away in the end, and I think the guy who had them binned them eventually IIRC. I'd avoid tbh.

Marin

by Marin

G-One Allround can be very fast (older model, Evo version), or a bit slower (Performance version & new model with slower "Super Ground" casing).

Herse EL are great, if a bit fragile, even with (thin/light) tubes.

There's no case for non-EL IMHO as you can just get Gravelking slicks instead at 1/3 of the price.

LouisN

by LouisN

OK, thanks for the information :beerchug: !!

eurperg

by eurperg

I had major problems installing Jon Bon Pass TC 35mm Extralights on Shamal Carbon wheelset. In fact, I could not get them seated despite using a cargo lash to tie them down, and a large air compressor. Sealant was all over the floors. The tires felt too easy to install, so I knew it's not going to be easy to get them seated.

No, I did not use an inner tube to raise the other bead, because I don't even own a f***ing inner tube. Adding an another layer of rim tape was out of question because with Shamals, you don't use rim tape.

Eventually I just gave up and reinstalled my previous tires. Over the last couple years, I've been used to easy tubeless installation, and trying to install these felt like going back to 2005. I have installed dozens of tires tubeless over a decade, and even getting fat bike tires seated has been easier.

Has anyone had success with Shamal Carbons?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eurperg wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 pm

No, I did not use an inner tube to raise the other bead, because I don't even own a f***ing inner tube.

I mean, just buy a couple of inner tubes because there's going to be tires like this from time to time. 35mm Continental Terra Speeds were super loose on my Zipp 202 NSWs and required the inner tube trick.

Marin

by Marin

Same here, I put my EL Bon Jovies on my new EIE SL rims that also don't need tape. Took me a long time to get them seated, also because there was lots of milk residue on the beads and this takes hours to clean up.

eurperg

by eurperg

I like to change tires every now an then, because with current tubeless tires it takes no longer than changing a clincher with inner tube. But looks like I have to get a dedicated wheelset for Bon Jon Passes then. Sounds as easy as using tubulars! The problem is that with Ekar goupset there are not so many wheelsets even available... And the price of Ekar cassette is also high.

MikeD

by MikeD

eurperg wrote:I like to change tires every now an then, because with current tubeless tires it takes no longer than changing a clincher with inner tube. But looks like I have to get a dedicated wheelset for Bon Jon Passes then. Sounds as easy as using tubulars! The problem is that with Ekar goupset there are not so many wheelsets even available... And the price of Ekar cassette is also high.
Try more layers of rim tape so that the tire fits tighter on the rim. Your chances of a blowoff are greater with loose fitting tires.

Parkerross

by Parkerross

has anyone compared bon jon endurance to the gravelkings? Also do the endurance casing blow up less than the standard or light? I just mounted endurance pumpkin ridge on my 21mm inner width wheel and they come out to 40mm. What widths are the bon jons coming out at?

Thanks

emotive

by emotive

Parkerross wrote:has anyone compared bon jon endurance to the gravelkings? Also do the endurance casing blow up less than the standard or light? I just mounted endurance pumpkin ridge on my 21mm inner width wheel and they come out to 40mm. What widths are the bon jons coming out at?

Thanks
These are all Compass branded versions of the Bon Jon Pass Extralight measurements:

WAM-25 (set up tubeless) 38.3mm
WAM-22 (with Latex tubes) 37.6mm
WAM-20 (set up tubeless) 36.5mm

Marin

by Marin

Parkerross wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm
has anyone compared bon jon endurance to the gravelkings? Also do the endurance casing blow up less than the standard or light? I just mounted endurance pumpkin ridge on my 21mm inner width wheel and they come out to 40mm. What widths are the bon jons coming out at?

Thanks
I run 35mm Gravelkings and Bon Jon EL. The latter have a smoother ride and are marginally faster in my rolldown test. The are also more fragile.

I'm using the BJs as a road tire, and I'm careful when I ride offroad. The GKs aren't babied on gravel.

sebejo

by sebejo

Marin wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:54 pm

I run 35mm Gravelkings and Bon Jon EL. The latter have a smoother ride and are marginally faster in my rolldown test. The are also more fragile.

I'm using the BJs as a road tire, and I'm careful when I ride offroad. The GKs aren't babied on gravel.
What about the rubber compund? I have found the 35mm GK slicks to be quite slippy (boarderline sketchy) on agressive breaking distances and tight turns on asphalt. I just have infinite more confidence on my follow up Schwalbe Pro One 32mm tires in these situation.
Given the Rene Herse is coming from Panaracer as well I assume grippiniess is similar to the GK, right?

I'm thinking maybe the Challenge Strada Bianca 33mm HTLR (announced at Eurobike) could be an interesting experiment along these lines. Schwalbe now also has the Pro One in 34mm so big manufacturers are slowly catching up with the fast allroad tire trend. Let's see if we see a new announcement during the Roubaix week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

eurperg wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 pm
I had major problems installing Jon Bon Pass TC 35mm Extralights on Shamal Carbon wheelset. In fact, I could not get them seated despite using a cargo lash to tie them down, and a large air compressor. Sealant was all over the floors. The tires felt too easy to install, so I knew it's not going to be easy to get them seated.

No, I did not use an inner tube to raise the other bead, because I don't even own a f***ing inner tube. Adding an another layer of rim tape was out of question because with Shamals, you don't use rim tape.

Eventually I just gave up and reinstalled my previous tires. Over the last couple years, I've been used to easy tubeless installation, and trying to install these felt like going back to 2005. I have installed dozens of tires tubeless over a decade, and even getting fat bike tires seated has been easier.

Has anyone had success with Shamal Carbons?
What you need to do is add more layers of rim tape, or thicker rim tape such as gorilla tape. Even if you can get the loose bead to seat it will just be trouble down the line if it's not tight to begin with.