Rondo HVRT Dual-Duty Build

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cerro

by cerro

Prime wheels with Enve logos? What a fake! Keep it original.
Looks like a really cool bike, live the concept.

saverin

by saverin

Poptart242 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 am
It took quite some time to get here, but I'm happy to finally be in possession of the bike as I'd planned it.

HVRT Frameset
Dura Ace Build (Ultegra Chainset)
Tubeless Hunt 650b wheelset - Panaracer GK 43mm rear, WTB Byway 47mm front
Prime BlackEdition 700c wheelset - Schwalbe One Evo 25mm tubed

Other bits, non exhaustive:
Supacaz cages
Prime Primavera bars
Specialized Power Arc Elaston saddle
Deda Zero1 120mm stem (for now)
Vector 3s pedals

Weights:
Bike w/o wheels: 5163g
Road Mode: 8504g
Gravel Mode: 8714g

There's definite weight to be saved in the wheels and finishing kit if you wanted to go that way. More to the point it rides brilliantly. Crazy stiff on the road but chuck the tank tyres on and it's an immediate fast cruiser. Haven't tried out the endurance geometry, I'm pretty happy with it in aggressive mode so far. That might change post lockdown when I go all-day touring on it but for now at rides up to 100km I'm cool with the setup.
What's the measured width of the Schwalbe's on the Prime rims?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Poptart242

by Poptart242

The Schwalbes go up from 25mm claimed to 29mm actual @ 85psi

Hunt Wheels:
WTBs 47mm claimed to 49mm actual @ 35psi
Panaracers 43mm claimed to 45mm actual @ 35psi

Swapped out the rear WTB for a narrower Panaracer as it was _this close_ to rubbing and it made me nervous. Easy to get off and on the rims tubeless too which was nice.

ddman

by ddman

Poptart242 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:26 am
I had to do a little googling to get the weights of each component right, and I'm not sure how much sealant is in the front tyre as it arrived mounted. But as a guide:

Prime Wheelset: 1757
Schwalbe One x2: 490
Discs x2: 266
Tubes: 220
Cassette: 284
Total: 3017

Hunt Wheelset: 1594
Discs x2: 166
Sealant: 120
Valves: 36
Cassette: 284
WTB Byway 47: 527
Panaracer GK 43: 500
Total: 3227
thanks for your review, I think it's one of the few 2-3 out there (non-magazine). Are you sure about the 8504gr /5163gr (no wheels, tires, cassette, rotors, inner tube/sealant)? Did you include pedals? I was in market for one. I was between the HVRT and the Defy. I ended up with Defy Force AXS. It weighs 5727gr (all except the above) and rondo is heavier, especially with 105.

For the rest wondering the weights I have this table from rondo https://imgur.com/CKlQGoD

Poptart242

by Poptart242

I think the discrepancy might be that I've built it with Dura Ace components as opposed to 105 for the most part, bar an Ultegra crankset. I'll weigh it all again one day

ddman

by ddman

Poptart242 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:52 pm
I think the discrepancy might be that I've built it with Dura Ace components as opposed to 105 for the most part, bar an Ultegra crankset. I'll weigh it all again one day
that would be great. I was actually planning to sell the defy and build an HVRT with DA di2 and I was looking for real build ups weights. Thanks

Edit: I see you had a CAAD12. I did have a CAAD10 disc. How do you compare the ride, feel, everything? :D

Poptart242

by Poptart242

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison really. The CAAD12 was very focussed and the Rondo is more of a hybrid. On the Rondo the lower stack is noticeable, as is the slightly slower turn in. Not to say that it isn't a bike I'd be happy to race though. The Rondo is planted, very stiff in the BB and there's none of the 'spring' that I'd describe the CAAD's ride with there. The CAAD feels like it rides over a road, the Rondo feels like it rides through it, if that makes sense.

There was a buzzier front end in the CAAD but I'm hesitant to call it that between the two bikes. The Rondo has carbon bars and I used Alu on the CAAD so I don't want to go attributing feel to something other than the frame.

ddman

by ddman

Poptart242 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 am
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison really. The CAAD12 was very focussed and the Rondo is more of a hybrid. On the Rondo the lower stack is noticeable, as is the slightly slower turn in. Not to say that it isn't a bike I'd be happy to race though. The Rondo is planted, very stiff in the BB and there's none of the 'spring' that I'd describe the CAAD's ride with there. The CAAD feels like it rides over a road, the Rondo feels like it rides through it, if that makes sense.

There was a buzzier front end in the CAAD but I'm hesitant to call it that between the two bikes. The Rondo has carbon bars and I used Alu on the CAAD so I don't want to go attributing feel to something other than the frame.
Thanks.
if you'd have time to weigh it again in road mode /nothing wheel related would be great. Thanks and happy ride

Miles253

by Miles253

So pleased to read a thread from a buyer. I'm really struggling to get a frame, been waiting since January!

I've been holding out as there has been nothing better. The 3T Exploro Racemax looks like a credible alternative though...

What's the comfort like on the HVRT?
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

yosshaa

by yosshaa

Is there a difference between this frame and the cf1 or cf0... different carbon layup and/or weight? or same frame just different colors and group/builds

Kingstonian

by Kingstonian

I did a fast chaingang ride with a fella on a Rondo yesterday, the thing sounded like a missile as it cut through the wind. It is a great concept having a true do-it-all bike.

Do you actually notice much of a difference in handling when you change the fork insert round?

jcgiannini

by jcgiannini

I damaged my SL6 so I took the Rondo HVRT as a replacement bike to wait the SL7. So far quite a nice bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcgiannini

by jcgiannini

Without the bottle cages

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

jcgiannini wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:04 pm

I damaged my SL6 so I took the Rondo HVRT as a replacement bike to wait the SL7. So far quite a nice bike.

As a fellow owner of two of those stems they need to be run slammed or look terrible 😳😭
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com