Rondo HVRT Dual-Duty Build

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Poptart242

by Poptart242

Hello all! First time poster on the forum. Thought as I'm about to start a new build, I'd start things off here.

I'll have to admit that I'm not a proper weight-weenie given my own 85kg, but my view from the sidelines is that this forum is one of the best about for talking all things build and componentry. I'll of course post whatever weights I manage to get a hold of/remember as I go. Pics to follow once I have the frameset in-hand (it's a bit delayed in shipping just now, but should be here early March:
  • Rondo HVRT CF
    Frame & Fork: Rondo HVRT CF 2020, black on black
    Saddle: TBC, I'm still trying to work out if I like my Specialized Power Arc Elaston or my Pro Stealth
    Handlebars: Prime Primavera, 40cm
    Tape: Lizard Skins
    Stem: Stock Rondo 100mm to start, I have a 3T and a Deda Zero100 to swap out to in 120 & 130mm
    Headset/Spacers/Top Cap: Stock Rondo to begin with
    Groupset: Shimano Dura Ace 9120 throughout apart from:
    Crankset: Ultegra R8000 172.5, 52/36
    Bottom Bracket: Ceramicspeed 386evo
    Cassette: Ultegra R8000 11-30
    Chain & Quicklink: KMC
    Wheels 700c: Prime Blackedition 60mm clinchers
    - Rubber: Schwalbe Pro One Tanwall 25c (tubeless GP5000s in the pipeline once the Schwalbes are done)
    - Sealant/Glue/Tubes: Tubes (latex for racing)
    - Axles: Rondo's own for now
    Wheels 650b: Mason x Hunt Adventure Sport
    - Rubber: WTB Byway: 47c
    - Rear Sealant/Glue: Hunt setting them up, unsure
    Pedals: Garmin Vector 3s
    Bottle Cages: Rondo, may swap out for Supacaz Alu in purple
From what I know about the frame and the heavy wheels (both sets) I'd expect to creep into the 7.9s... but I'm prepared to be wrong on that.

Usage will be pretty much everything for me this year - some light bikepacking in the North of Scotland, Gravel Enduro, Club Runs, Chain Gangs, and at least one 25 mile TT. My current two bikes (Canyon Ultimate CF SL and CAAD12 Dura Ace Disc) will be going and my partner and I are living in a two-bike household for the next couple of years until we buy some more space in the countryside. Excited to show you guys how it looks! :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Scania123

by Scania123

Any updates on this? Has your frame arrived? If so, what are your initial impressions regarding build quality, paint job and so on? I'm very much looking forward to see the result of your build :)

Poptart242

by Poptart242

Still waiting, should be this week! Stripped my CAAD in the meantime and have all the parts ready to go at my LBS. I'll update as soon as I find out on all of the above!

sib

by sib

Frame/fork weights, if possible, please!

Poptart242

by Poptart242

So it appears that the distributor and the manufacturer have gone dark - no frameset has appeared at the retailer. Looking to cancel, although they do have the Shimano 105 version available so I could still proceed with the build, and have some spare parts to sell left over... I'm looking to see if I can do this before supply chains collapse!

Poptart242

by Poptart242

It's here and it's good!

Bit of a faff in getting a frame - the manufacturer/distributor ended up unable to fulfil due to Covid and Sigma Sports were a huge, huge help. Ended up getting a full 105-level bike for a discount and paid under £200 extra the amount I'd already paid for the frame.

Still need to weigh stuff but for now just under 9kg with the current heavy wheels, heavy groupset, heavy pedals and finishing kit.

First ride impressions:
  • Whoa boy it's stiff
    The flip chip is a silly concept, you'll set it and forget it but it's nice to have the choice
    Geo in aggressive mode is very aggressive, I might not even slam it
    R7000 is a hell of a groupset, I'm very impressed
    It's utter madness the amount of clearance you can build into an aero race bike if you really want to. 47mm tyres!
Work done so far:
  • Chainset Swap (R7000 to R8000)
    Wheel/Disc/Cassette Swap (from Rondo 700c to Hunt 650b)
    Saddle Swap (Fabric Scoop to Specialized Power Elaston)
    Add bottle cages
Work to do next week:
  • Groupset Swap (R7000 to R9100)
    Cut the massively long seatpost down
    Swap out the alu bars for Prime Primaveras
    Install my Vectors
Long term work:
  • Paint it
    Find some cooler bottle cages (anyone recommend any light, non ejector cages?)
    Convert my road wheels to tubeless

kode54

by kode54

Nice looking Rondo. Nice that you can still fit massive tires.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AZR3

by AZR3

That bike is beefy! Looks like a tank, I think if i had to replace my Exploro the HVRT would be towards the top....quick question, i was wondering if itd be able to clear 700x40c tires? Front doesnt look like itd be an issue but the rear might cause some problems.

bmCube

by bmCube

For cages I would definetly recommend Arundel mandible! Never ever ever had a bottle ejected on road, gravel, mountainbike!

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

However the combo of Enve cages and camelback bottles works very well
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Poptart242

by Poptart242

AZR3 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:23 am
That bike is beefy! Looks like a tank, I think if i had to replace my Exploro the HVRT would be towards the top....quick question, i was wondering if itd be able to clear 700x40c tires? Front doesnt look like itd be an issue but the rear might cause some problems.
I'm running 47s!! EDIT just realised 700 x 40 was your question, I think height would be the issue. 30mm is officially the limit...

Poptart242

by Poptart242

It took quite some time to get here, but I'm happy to finally be in possession of the bike as I'd planned it.

HVRT Frameset
Dura Ace Build (Ultegra Chainset)
Tubeless Hunt 650b wheelset - Panaracer GK 43mm rear, WTB Byway 47mm front
Prime BlackEdition 700c wheelset - Schwalbe One Evo 25mm tubed

Other bits, non exhaustive:
Supacaz cages
Prime Primavera bars
Specialized Power Arc Elaston saddle
Deda Zero1 120mm stem (for now)
Vector 3s pedals

Weights:
Bike w/o wheels: 5163g
Road Mode: 8504g
Gravel Mode: 8714g

There's definite weight to be saved in the wheels and finishing kit if you wanted to go that way. More to the point it rides brilliantly. Crazy stiff on the road but chuck the tank tyres on and it's an immediate fast cruiser. Haven't tried out the endurance geometry, I'm pretty happy with it in aggressive mode so far. That might change post lockdown when I go all-day touring on it but for now at rides up to 100km I'm cool with the setup.

Poptart242

by Poptart242

I had to do a little googling to get the weights of each component right, and I'm not sure how much sealant is in the front tyre as it arrived mounted. But as a guide:

Prime Wheelset: 1757
Schwalbe One x2: 490
Discs x2: 266
Tubes: 220
Cassette: 284
Total: 3017

Hunt Wheelset: 1594
Discs x2: 166
Sealant: 120
Valves: 36
Cassette: 284
WTB Byway 47: 527
Panaracer GK 43: 500
Total: 3227

calleking

by calleking

I like this! Was actually looking at the HRVT for awhile. I think GCN had a clip about it awhile ago. I'm still a bit interested in a having a bike that can do it all-ish and full time job, house and two kids taking up most of my time this would be perfect. I just wish it was a bit more integrated at the front. Not that it really matters :)

btw, where is this photo taken?
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Poptart242

by Poptart242

Pics around Edinburgh - easily the most beautiful city in the world in my highly biased opinion!