Colnago G3X

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexaqui

by alexaqui

Hi. I'm looking at a picking up a gravel bike and saw that Colnago has come out with the G3X with availability at a local dealer in a few days. Thoughts on this bike? I see very little info out there so far. My local dealer speaks very positively of customer feedback so far.

Any details on weight? One of the online dealers lists it at 8.4kg. Is that acceptable for gravel bike? The wheels are obviously a weak point in weight - looks like ~2kg alone. I'd expect to upgrade those to something nice. I'm also looking at having the GRX mechanical swapped out for DI2 and keep it as a 2x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexaqui

by alexaqui

I guess this is still a relatively unknown bike. My local dealer has sold a few and received positive feedback. I think I am going to place the order tomorrow... if I do, I'll have the bike with some upgrades in about a week. I'll post updates :)

If I am making a mistake, please let me know! The package price for DI2 isn't bad and I figure I can swap to another frame at some point...

sebejo

by sebejo

anybody knows frame weight only?

AJS914

by AJS914

alexaqui wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 am
If I am making a mistake, please let me know! The package price for DI2 isn't bad and I figure I can swap to another frame at some point...
Enjoy it! It looks like a very fast gravel bike. It seems to have the aero touches of the V3R with clearance for 42mm tires or 650Bx47. The 650B wheels would give you some options for rougher terrain.

alexaqui

by alexaqui

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 pm
alexaqui wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 am
Enjoy it! It looks like a very fast gravel bike. It seems to have the aero touches of the V3R with clearance for 42mm tires or 650Bx47. The 650B wheels would give you some options for rougher terrain.
Thanks! I placed the order today. Very excited about it. Taking a bit of a risk except the local dealer is super responsive, willing to make changes at reasonable price levels, and has sold a few of them.

I wish I could find out the weight of the frame :). My guess is that it will be the usual ~1100 range + fork + others. Putting lighter wheels on and some minor tweaks should result in in in the 7.9kg range, which is really not bad for a gravel bike.

alexaqui

by alexaqui

Quick update... I picked up my bike this weekend. While I only have an hour on it so far, it exceeded expectations. Colnago does a terrible job marketing this bike - it is way nicer in person than it looks online. The bike feels very comfortable and smooth - almost like my older C50 except on rougher terrain. Power transfer is very direct and the bike wants to go fast. It's a little "slower" coming out of the saddle given the long wheel base and relaxed angles. Bike came in a little heavier than expected at 9.1kg fully kitted (speedplay pave pedals, Shimano DI2 GRX 2x upgrade). The wheels are prety heavy so I can get some of that back. I'm sure there are good weight savings opportunities with the stem/bars. Not in a rush as so far I am really happy with this bike. Tube shapes are definitely from the V3 as they all cam-tail style.

AJS914

by AJS914

:beerchug:

We need pictures!

derosa2000

by derosa2000

Yeah , please let us see real life pics ! :)

boarder1995

by boarder1995

Any more on this bike? Considering one myself and there's so little real world info on it other than pressers.

biwa

by biwa

alexaqui wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:36 pm
Quick update... I picked up my bike this weekend. While I only have an hour on it so far, it exceeded expectations. Colnago does a terrible job marketing this bike - it is way nicer in person than it looks online. The bike feels very comfortable and smooth - almost like my older C50 except on rougher terrain. Power transfer is very direct and the bike wants to go fast. It's a little "slower" coming out of the saddle given the long wheel base and relaxed angles. Bike came in a little heavier than expected at 9.1kg fully kitted (speedplay pave pedals, Shimano DI2 GRX 2x upgrade). The wheels are prety heavy so I can get some of that back. I'm sure there are good weight savings opportunities with the stem/bars. Not in a rush as so far I am really happy with this bike. Tube shapes are definitely from the V3 as they all cam-tail style.
Thanks for the update. Which size is yours and what's the weight now if you've upgraded the wheels and other components?

Birdman

by Birdman

Hi,

I may be pulling the trigger on this bike as well. Any ride reports or reviews anyone can share here? Seems like a very capable bike. Although there are more capable bikes out there, this bike is plenty capable for me, plus, the sex appeal.... what a good looking bike!
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

rapidcarbon

by rapidcarbon

For those who want to know the weight of this bike, I got G3X size 49, everything stock except the followings and its weight is 19lbs

- Handlebar: Enve Gravel 44
- Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 90mm
- Wheels: Enve AR disc:
- Pedals: Time Speciale 12

boarder1995

by boarder1995

I'm in the market for a new grave ride as I just sold my diverge I built. The diverge was a great ride, but I found myself looking at other builds all the time. So, here I am considering a Colnago for my next gravel bike, possibly with Campy Ekar group set. My road bike is a Colnago C60 with Campy SR12 and I love it - ride, feel, handling, etc.. It does lots of things really well. Any thoughts on how the G3X compares? Also, please post pics of y'all's rides, so we can see more than the usually marketing shots.

tepextate

by tepextate

Bike looks really nice... the picture you uploaded isn't working for me. Would love to see it if you get around to reuploading it !

rapidcarbon

by rapidcarbon

reupload image.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com