Custom OPEN WI.DE

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

justaute

by justaute

It seems we have a couple of items in common, the Onyx hubs and the Berk saddle.

by Weenie

jacobeh

by jacobeh

TomEdward wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm
jever98 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:24 am
Regarding the Hambini BB: not sure what he refers to with regards to shims. My Hambini BB creates a "normal" interface. What's special about is that it's a 1-piece construction, which ensures that the bearings are well aligned, which isn't always guaranteed with a 2-piece BB.

Re Meld - I use their saddles and ordered my first one from Switzerland. It added a bit of logistics, but not much.

On the use of gold - and this is a personal opinion - I would go for less rather than more. Having a lot of gold can look garish, especially if the hues don't match exactly. For example, having a gold cassette, chain and hub might be a bit much IMHO. How about using a black cassette and hub, but use gold nipples on the wheels?
Thanks again. Yes you might be right in regards to gold. I do like the rainbow colour of the rear cassette. The wheels are black with gold nipples so quite subtle. That might work better.
Very nice build - not envious at all :D

I hope the gold cassette hold up to wear better than their rainbow / oilslick, because after under ½ season of riding mine is a "nice" dull grey color after the coating has worn off on the most used sprockets (and they no longer protects against corrosion) :(

TomEdward

by TomEdward

justaute wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 am
It seems we have a couple of items in common, the Onyx hubs and the Berk saddle.
Great choice! Even though I maybe a little bias 8) :beerchug:

TomEdward

by TomEdward

jacobeh wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am
TomEdward wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm
jever98 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:24 am
Regarding the Hambini BB: not sure what he refers to with regards to shims. My Hambini BB creates a "normal" interface. What's special about is that it's a 1-piece construction, which ensures that the bearings are well aligned, which isn't always guaranteed with a 2-piece BB.

Re Meld - I use their saddles and ordered my first one from Switzerland. It added a bit of logistics, but not much.

On the use of gold - and this is a personal opinion - I would go for less rather than more. Having a lot of gold can look garish, especially if the hues don't match exactly. For example, having a gold cassette, chain and hub might be a bit much IMHO. How about using a black cassette and hub, but use gold nipples on the wheels?
Thanks again. Yes you might be right in regards to gold. I do like the rainbow colour of the rear cassette. The wheels are black with gold nipples so quite subtle. That might work better.
Very nice build - not envious at all :D

I hope the gold cassette hold up to wear better than their rainbow / oilslick, because after under ½ season of riding mine is a "nice" dull grey color after the coating has worn off on the most used sprockets (and they no longer protects against corrosion) :(
So do I, that's not great is it, especially for how much they cost! Would you say you ride a lot?

jacobeh

by jacobeh

jacobeh wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am
So do I, that's not great is it, especially for how much they cost! Would you say you ride a lot?
Strava says 4000km as of today, but I'd wager it started around ~2000km. I assume it's all the grit and sand that shreds the coating - let me know how yours hold up, I might have to change to gold when it needs replacement :D

TomEdward

by TomEdward

It's finally been built guys! I couldn't be happier with it. There were a few hiccups during the build but it all worked out in the end. Gee is currently editing the video as I type so he hopes to have it up soon. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and input, it's really helped make a beautiful dream build. Oh and it's the best bike i've ever been on! It's so smooth and fun to ride, I love it! :-D

ImageOPEN WI.DE build by Tom Gutteridge, on Flickr

stannymenza

by stannymenza

Looks ace!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nice work!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

Js2

by Js2

The paint job and color coordination is off the charts! :thumbup: :beerchug:

justaute

by justaute

Fantastic work, Tom.

jever98

by jever98

Very nice! I broke a cold sweat, though, when I saw what looked like the bike being clamped by the Darimo seat post :-O
----
No longer in the industry

CamW

by CamW

Looks awesome!

I'm curious how you find the Pirelli tyres. They look appealing to me.

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

So happy to come across this thread after watching the build video last week. I have been sending pictures to all my friends since. I couldn't see myself riding something so bling, my bike is all black and I appreciate a lot of people find that boring. But, I really admire the selection of parts and individuality of the build. Nice work!

francisA

by francisA

Amazing build. I'd be very very scared to ride such a masterpiece
2020 3T Exploro; eTap AXS "Mullet"; Reynolds ATR 700c; Stan's Crest MK3 650b
2020 OPEN Wi.De; eTap AXS "Mullet"; Zipp 303S
2016 Cervelo R5; Ultegra di2; Zipp 303 NSW; Powertap P1

Prior bikes:
2018 Colnago V2-R TNMR