SRAM eTap (Gen 1) for Gravel SoL?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

So I've been doing some light gravel riding with my Focus Paralane with SRAM eTap. I got a lot of chain slapping or at least rattling in the back. I've been trying to figure out what I can do to make it more suitable for gravel riding. I have an oversized derailleur but that can only do so much.

Since eTap gen 1 is dead on the upgrade path. What is my cheapest upgrade option? Can I move to Force 1 but keep my 2x crankset and brakes plus cables already router?

strip the whole thing and go Shimano Ultegra GRX?

I would like something that I can run 2x since I lot of my gravel rides to take me on the road.

Thanks

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Also, if I was to go with Force AXS, I would have to get a new crankset right? There's no aftermarket chainring or third party cranksets compatible with AXS yet is there?

MMMhills

by MMMhills

what size cassette are you running? I have been using red etap gen 1 on my gravel setup for 3 years now with no problems at all. I also use oval chainrings which do require a perfect adjustment to work well but they do work well.

My gut feeling is your chain is too loose and if you took a link out it would solve the problem, pending it can still reach the largest cog.
If you think you can handle 10,000 feet then check out this ride...http://www.michiganmountainmayhem.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I think your cheapest option is to see everything on the bike and buy a whole groupset. Unfortunately, Red eTap just don't give much of an upgrade option, and if you're like me, once you go electronic, it's hard to go back. Personally, I like the ergonomics of Shimano's groups, and thankfully, Shimano lets you change the shift method, so you can replicate much of eTap's shifting style, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Going with any of the AXS groups will require you to get a new crank, since the tooth profiles are different. Maybe you can use your old crank on the road, but given how rough gravel can be, I would err on the side of using the new AXS crank, if it were me.
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

I'm running 50/34 with a 11/34 cassette. I got an oversized pulley but I realized I can probably increase the tension on it so maybe doing that and removing a link might help. I'll try that out.

Don't think i can fit an 11/36 though. 41 total teeth might be too much. Though the GRX would let you . . .

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

One thing to add is that my frame does not have a hole for a front derailleur for Di2. I went from Di2 to eTap because I bought two bikes/frames meant for mechanical shifting.

TheRich

by TheRich

vanmatthew wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 am
So I've been doing some light gravel riding with my Focus Paralane with SRAM eTap. I got a lot of chain slapping or at least rattling in the back. I've been trying to figure out what I can do to make it more suitable for gravel riding. I have an oversized derailleur but that can only do so much.

Since eTap gen 1 is dead on the upgrade path. What is my cheapest upgrade option? Can I move to Force 1 but keep my 2x crankset and brakes plus cables already router?

strip the whole thing and go Shimano Ultegra GRX?

I would like something that I can run 2x since I lot of my gravel rides to take me on the road.

Thanks
Do you have reason to believe your rear derailleur spring has lost it's springyness?

2x drivetrains are going to rattle off road. You can minimize it by using the big ring as much as possible, but also has a lot to do with the front derailleur. The main thing is to make sure it isn't slapping your chainstay, and protect your chainstay if it is.