New gravel bike for 85% road

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

@Js2

Thx for the info. I have a stock 52cm geo on the Vamoots Disc RSL and it fits fine...but the Routt 45 has a more slack geo...but probably better for gravel and rough surface.
If I were to get a Routt RSL or 45...it would be the stock geo as well. Wait times are a bit too long...and like a tailored suit, difficult to sell when the time comes. Would like to see what you do with it when you get it.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

Js2

by Js2

kode54 wrote: @Js2

Thx for the info. I have a stock 52cm geo on the Vamoots Disc RSL and it fits fine...but the Routt 45 has a more slack geo...but probably better for gravel and rough surface.
If I were to get a Routt RSL or 45...it would be the stock geo as well. Wait times are a bit too long...and like a tailored suit, difficult to sell when the time comes. Would like to see what you do with it when you get it.
My current ETA is 3/26 (about 11 weeks total?). I'll keep you posted once I have some saddle time on it. I think the stock Geos are easier to sell than a full custom geo ones though since I fit fine with the stock sizing.

by Weenie

Miles253

by Miles253

I'm pretty much set on the Rondo HVRT after some rigorous research this weekend. The insurance finally paid out so I'm ready to push that button.

No sign of any owners on here, which could mean a couple of things, but bike of the year bodes well
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

petert123

by petert123

Miles253 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm
For full disclosure, the Rose was my do-it-all winter bike first and foremost and I really didn't ride too much off-road on it. The replacement will need to fit a similar bill, with the capability to ride well for road use and gravel use with different wheels.

What bikes should I be looking at ? I'm thinking Open UP and Rondo HVRT/ Ruut at the moment, or of course going for another Backroad, which was a nice bike, if a bit low at the front.
With similar requirements I'm going to build up a J.ack Laverack.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

LeMomo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:00 pm
I must say it's reassuring to see so many recommendations for the Exploro on this thread as mine turned up on Wednesday. I'd originally ordered an Aspero but the wait time meant that it wouldn't be here in time for my first event this year.
My Exploro has been great. I typically ride it on the road, however, it is set up with 38 Gravelking SKs for when I want to ride in the dirt too. I think you should be pretty happy with it :beerchug:

LeMomo

by LeMomo

tonytourist wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:37 pm

My Exploro has been great. I typically ride it on the road, however, it is set up with 38 Gravelking SKs for when I want to ride in the dirt too. I think you should be pretty happy with it :beerchug:
I am happy with it, but if tinkering required, had a longer stem delivered today, planning to use 120 for road/general and switch in 110 for big gravel days.

Only managed one proper ride so far, 35km mixed riding including a lap of a local mtb track (berms are interesting on drop bars!) have been stuck on the turbo since while the UK has been hit with winter storms (50mph headwinds are not fun!)

Running 650x47 WTB byways for now, fast enough on road, sketchy when the off-road gets damp or muddy, I'm keen to try something properly treaded to see just how capable this bike really is.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iuq5c7]Image

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

LeMomo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 pm

Running 650x47 WTB byways for now, fast enough on road, sketchy when the off-road gets damp or muddy, I'm keen to try something properly treaded to see just how capable this bike really is.
I've been running 650x47 WTB Senduro on my Aspero for MTB trails. Seem to be pretty grippy but I haven't found a lot to compare them to. Definately better than GravelKing SKs in the dirt and mud. Not a really good slection for real knobby 650/27.5's in the sub 2" range.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:01 pm
LeMomo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 pm

I've been running 650x47 WTB Senduro on my Aspero for MTB trails. Seem to be pretty grippy but I haven't found a lot to compare them to. Definately better than GravelKing SKs in the dirt and mud. Not a really good slection for real knobby 650/27.5's in the sub 2" range.
I was considering the sendero for my 650b to compliment Continental Terra speed 40 and 5000 28 on my 700c wheels.. should have most surfaces covered then
Perdita- Burls Ti
Aurelia- Saffron Stainless/Carbon
Bertha - Trek Speedconcept
Verity - Sturdy Ti/Carbon Aero (incoming)
Serenity- Sturdy Ti (incoming)
Allegra - Sturdy Steel Lugged (incoming)

Jolene - Retired Aluminum

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Another vote for Sendero on 650b, work well I’m UK at the moment... mud!! Running a set of Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR 700c x 30mm tyres for road, so far they’ve been great as a all round road winter tyre especially in the uk as the roads are currently so bad...

I do have a full aero road bike, which is currently on the trainer and waiting for the UK to dry out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bike349

by bike349

Hello! Very nice topic and it engages with my dilemma also. For now I've been driving for years with MTB, but couple of years for now about 85% my road is on asphalt and it puts me think to buy a new bike - but which one ? Gravel or ... ? My distances are about 50 - 100 km with my MTB at the moment, but I flirting with my desire to go beyond 150 km etc.

I'm not a hardcore and everyday rider, but when I ride then I want to perform max.

Last year I bought Continental Grand Prix 5000 28 mm, 700 - Lol, I dont have a new bike, I have tires...

I did a research and found out that Scott or Canyon is something, what I want/like and the results are:

Canyon:

Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0

Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0

Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Canyon Grail CF SL 7.0

SCOTT:

SCOTT ADDICT 20 DISC

SCOTT SPEEDSTER GRAVEL 20

* In that list, there is AL versions also, but I guess I should go to CF instead ?

* My one of the biggest question is: Can I use last year purchased GP5000 28mm,700 under Canyon Grail or Scott Speedster Gravel ?

* We know that there is unforeseen roads and suddenly you are middle of moon, where road is full of splinter etc - will GP5000 can handle it ? I don't mean that I ride through it with full speed...

* I'm 195cm tall, 100 kg so I definetely need comfoft position

Endurace VS Addict:

Grail VS Speedster:

bike349

by bike349

Anybody ?

emotive

by emotive

Any of the bikes you have chosen will do a good job. Alloy is a little heavier but not really less comfortable on wide tyres. I would put the extra money toward a second wheelset. You may find you want to ride some fire trails and singletrack then some 650b tyres transform the bike into a more capable off road bike.

28mm GP5000 is very capable on smooth gravel and bad tarmac. Once you get to medium and rough gravel then a Rene Herse 700x 44 tyre is much more comfortable, faster, and much less chance of pinch flatting. With a gravel bike you have clearance for fast, wide tyres, then you find they are a lot of fun.

Scania123

by Scania123

Miles253 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:20 am
I'm pretty much set on the Rondo HVRT after some rigorous research this weekend. The insurance finally paid out so I'm ready to push that button.

No sign of any owners on here, which could mean a couple of things, but bike of the year bodes well
Did you end up getting a Rondo HVRT? If so, what do you think of it?

Xenophon

by Xenophon

bike349 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 am
Anybody ?
I own a Grail CF SL8 with the 'hover bar'. Have about 11k km on it now and my advice is: don't. The bar brings very limited benefits and imposes very serious limitations (difficult attaching lights and gizmos + no way at all to finetune size and setup: it either fits or it doesn't and Canyon's sizing app is not perfect). Other than that it's a good bike, i'd like for it to be a bit more nimble though.

I'm starting to look for a successor in a year or so and am considering the bikes mentioned here (Áspero, Scott addict gravel 10, Open U.P. and am intrigued by the Rondo HVRT Cf0 but curious to read more feedback about the Rondo from people who made the jump, there are next to no dealers hence limited possibilities to try one and I need to be sure that the 'adjustable geometry' really brings something to the table). I mainly (90%) ride on roads and want something reliable that can take some abuse and is fast. I can deal with limited comfort, no mudguards and no attachment points for luggage.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Did a 120km sportive in UK today, used gravel bike but put deep section wheels on it...

It was a great ride... loads of fun.. highly recommend....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie