Cut Sidewalls, tubeless, Continue to ride?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

So, I have a gravel ride tomorrow and I'm trying to decide if I should go or not. A month ago, I got a cut on my sidewall. After 2 canisters of CO2. The sealant sealed the hole with a bit of dirt and rocks.

So it's holding pressure but drops maybe 10 PSI after 4 days. Haven't ridden it with full weight. Will try tonight.

I don't have that much experience with how well tubeless sealant seals.

Anyone ride with a sealed sidewall? I have the Stan's Dart and was thinking of poking a hole with it and injecting the cloth thingy and have it seal with that. Should I do that or trust the dirt and rocks and grime did a good enough job sealing it.

Thanks

simoncx

by simoncx

Why not remove the tire and glue a patch from the inside? Personally I've never had luck with sidewall cuts with sealant only unless it had a patch glued on, usually the first bit of uneven terrian the sidewall flexes and the sealant lets go.

by Weenie

Miller

by Miller

Good advice in the post above. I've done similar fixes with good results. If your tyre starts leaking sealant 2km into your ride you'll be pissed off.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Crap should have checked this before this morning. I was thinking of doing that but was too lazy to pop the seal. I just added more sealant instead. Hopefully it holds today. Was hoping for a "you'll be fine"