Bang for buck: Changing bars seatpost saddle cranks SuperX GRX

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded my CAADX to a SuperX GRX for CX racing. Bought the cheapest model as I basically wanted the frameset. Groupset is going over to GRX DI2; wheels have been changed for handbuilt on DT240s.

Was now wondering about the finishing kit:

Bars, stem, seatpost are the basic Cannondale 3; Saddles is (steel) Fabric Scoop; cranks are Cannondale 1 (not Hollowgram)

Left crank will be Stages anyway.

I was wondering if anyone had any views on "bang for buck" on flipping any of this kit over to something that weighs less/ performs better. Are there obvious choices, or are the gains so marginal it is not worth it?

by Weenie

jemima

by jemima

If you ride a 42cm bar, the carbon Satori X-Race Aero is a good price and weight (about 215gm).
Curve Grovel ti.

CrossRob

by CrossRob

If it's the right shape for you, a SLR saddle can save you a huge amount. I've got 135g ones that I've picked up second hand for £30 in great condition.

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

CrossRob wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:29 pm
If it's the right shape for you, a SLR saddle can save you a huge amount. I've got 135g ones that I've picked up second hand for £30 in great condition.
Thank you

Do you mean the Selle Italia ones? Just saw that the existing saddle is 350g, so there is a big difference.

I cannot find existing weights for seatpost, stem, crank arm or bars.... so hard to see whether there is much to be gained in weight. I would expect the carbon seatpost to up comfort a little