Bar Widths, Are You Riding Wider For Gravel?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

40 on road and gravel. Have a set of the Easton ec70 AX bars on the way. Little more flair at the drops 16 degreese. When I hit a loose patch and I'm in the drops sometimes it feels a little squirrely on my standard ec70 bars.

by Weenie

osw000

by osw000

Common bike fitting advise is to add 2cm to road width for CX. But this also comes together with a shortening of the stem (-1cm) and a bit more stack. (+1cm)
The benefits of wider bar for gravel will depend on terrain or course. The more obstacles, soft or muddy terrain, ruts... its likely you will notice more steering control going wider and 1cm shorter stem.
If your typical surface is bad tarmac-easy compact gravel, I would just add a bit of stack height to your current road position.
And remember that shoulder or back pain when riding a gravel bike can be related to other factors, like the absence of a suspension fork.

Js2

by Js2

I have my bar setup similar with road. Currently using a 3T superergo team 42 c-c tops 44 c-c drops.
I run a shorter stem on my gravel rig (110mm vs 120mm), and +5mm spacer for slightly less aggressive position.

I've tried the swoopy flared bars, but not my cup of tea.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

42cm Fizik carbon bars on my gravel bike. nothing of the fancy flared stuff.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
Please follow me on Instagram

fourfa

by fourfa

I find it really strange that very few people listing bar widths also list their frame size, body size etc. At 6'2" 200lbs and wide shoulders, the whole 38cm road bar idea is just laughable for me. I have 46cm on every drop bar bike, and have never seen such a thing as a bar that felt too wide.

If I just wrote "46 feels good to me" that wouldn't have been any use to anyone

Etienne

by Etienne

fourfa wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm
I find it really strange that very few people listing bar widths also list their frame size, body size etc. At 6'2" 200lbs and wide shoulders, the whole 38cm road bar idea is just laughable for me. I have 46cm on every drop bar bike, and have never seen such a thing as a bar that felt too wide.

If I just wrote "46 feels good to me" that wouldn't have been any use to anyone
Not that strange as the OP's question was "do you use wider bars for gravel" ... no need to give size, weight and date of birth to answer the question. Most answers were yes or no :?