Mercury G1 wheelset - Any experiences?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jencvo

by jencvo

I'm eyeing a set of Mercury G1 wheels for my gravel gig: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/merc ... t-tubeless

Does anybody have any long term experiences with them or know what hubs Mercury uses?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jencvo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 pm
I'm eyeing a set of Mercury G1 wheels for my gravel gig: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/merc ... t-tubeless

Does anybody have any long term experiences with them or know what hubs Mercury uses?
I don't have any experience with the G1 specifically, but I picked up a set of unbuilt Mercury wheels on eBay a couple months ago. I can't speak to the rims on the G1, but those look like the same Novatec hubs that came with mine. I haven't looked at the rear, but the front came with pretty run of the mill NBK 6902-2RS bearings (ABEC-3). Easy to find and replace, rolls smooth, but feels like there's some drag spinning in the hand. Front hub (at least mine) is designed for 15x100mm and has adapters for 12mm or QR. Freehub is fairly loud and again, feels like it has a fair amount of drag compared to my Easton EA90AXs.

I bought them as a beater pair of wheels for taking my gravel bike out on MTB trails and didn't want to spend a lot of money as I fully expect to damage a rim at some point. In that regards they are great. For more tame uses, like gravel or road use, I'd say they'd make a great training set of wheels, but wouldn't be my first choice for race day without a full bearing replacement.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

simoncx

by simoncx

I dont have the g1 wheels but have the m38 tubular wheels and they've been through 2 hard cx seasons. The only thing I've needed to do is change one of the bearings in a rear wheel other then that they have been great wheels.