46/30 frame issues or FD issues?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

c50jim

by c50jim

As an old guy, I put a White 46/30 on my travel bike a few years ago. No problem with a Moots, old style BB and band derailleur hanger. I loved the lower gearing (although I usually ride with a regular compact and 12-27 or ocaasianlly 12-29 around home) so decided to put a subcompact on my Norco gravel bike. I bought an FSA 46/30 and had trouble with the chain falling off on both sides and not being able to get it back on without removing the crank. I was using some derailleur hanger adapter because the braze on hanger was too high. So, out wnet the Norco (now working fine with old Chorus 11 parts I had lying around, comapct crank and mechanical discs) and bought an Open UP. No problems for quite some time, then dropped the chain on the outside. Somehow, another old guy who was JRA and I got it back on. My LBS thinks the derailleur hanger (another braze on) is just a little bit too high. So, I'm always worried when riding that bike and am considering swapping out the 46/30 rings for 48/32 to reduce my risk.

So, I'd suggest you take a look at how much lower your derailleur hanger will allow you to place the derailleur. I'd be inclined to go with something like 11-34 rather than pushing the derailleur height. Hangers may work but it didn't work for me and it was added to my LBS mechanic's tool box to help someone else who wanted to try it.

by Weenie