X-night for gravel?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gwerziou

Re: X-night for gravel?

Post by gwerziou »

chiltonp wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:25 pm
Would a Ridley X-night be suitable for gravel or would the cyclocross geometry make it handle weird on gravel, (taller BB i presume)?

Thanks in adavnce.
The X-Night has an old-school, pretty high BB so that might make it a bit hairy on some corners. Something like the Specialized Crux or Scott Addict would work better.

IrrelevantD

Post by IrrelevantD »

TheRich wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:34 pm
I'm just a little confused by the "it's marketing" crowd, should all bikes be the same? It's always going to be the responsibilty of the consumer to buy the product that suits their needs best and more choices is always better than fewer. From this end of the internet it just looks like blindly defending what you own.
Yea, we might be on the same page. You see all the time that different bikes in the same "segment" perform differently with subtle geometry changes. I had an Allez Sprint, with is a road bike, but designed for crit racing. Handles completley different than say a Roubaix or a Tarmac, and they are all "road" bikes from the same brand. A CX bike is just a road bike that can handle bigger tires and had geometry designed for a specific type of riding, same as a gravel bike.

Yes, you can use any of these bikes for any purpose, but it may not be the best tool for the job, hell, I have a 3rd set of wheels so I can use my Cervelo as a MTB, but that doesn't make it a MTB and I wouldn't say that MTBs are just a marketing gimic.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jesper2913

Post by jesper2913 »

TheRich wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:34 pm

I'm just a little confused by the "it's marketing" crowd, should all bikes be the same? It's always going to be the responsibilty of the consumer to buy the product that suits their needs best and more choices is always better than fewer. From this end of the internet it just looks like blindly defending what you own.
jesper2913 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:17 pm
Maybe we have different understandings of what gravel is...
No, I just understand that not all gravel is the same.
What I´m trying to say is this. How big of a difference is there really between riding gravel and riding cx? Do we really need a subcategory bike for gravel? Even if we do, the differences are so small, that a cx bike will do the job just fine. If you look at cx races they consist of riding dirt, sand, tarmac, grass, gravel and even roots. Cx bikes are all-round for all surfaces. When you see the pro races, they obviously ride very fast, and they do it on cx bikes. Speed isn't a reason for choosing af gravel bike either. The only reason you would want a gravel bike IMO is, if you are pretty sure, that you ride gravel-only, and that you will never ever ride the other mentioned off-road surfaces. I don't know where you ride. But in my area it is simply not possible to only ride gravel and avoid all other roadsurfaces. Maybe if you live in a dessert, you are able to avoid anything else than pure gravel.

TheRich

Post by TheRich »

jesper2913 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 am
What I´m trying to say is this. How big of a difference is there really between riding gravel and riding cx? Do we really need a subcategory bike for gravel? Even if we do, the differences are so small, that a cx bike will do the job just fine. If you look at cx races they consist of riding dirt, sand, tarmac, grass, gravel and even roots. Cx bikes are all-round for all surfaces. When you see the pro races, they obviously ride very fast, and they do it on cx bikes. Speed isn't a reason for choosing af gravel bike either. The only reason you would want a gravel bike IMO is, if you are pretty sure, that you ride gravel-only, and that you will never ever ride the other mentioned off-road surfaces. I don't know where you ride. But in my area it is simply not possible to only ride gravel and avoid all other roadsurfaces. Maybe if you live in a dessert, you are able to avoid anything else than pure gravel.
"Just fine" is a bit of a cop out, someone can ride gravel "just fine" on a mountain bike, and a lot of people do.

CX bike vs gravel bike is like climbing or aero bike vs endurance road...and in reality, CX bikes aren't very good on dirt, they're unnecessarily short in both directions from the BB. I ride a CX bike because it does dual duty as a road bike on top of a little gravel, gravel bikes also have features I didn't want, and asthetics played a part, but I also have a ton of off road experience to fall back on and run a much shorter stem to aid handling on dirt so it's not much of a compromise. But if someone wanted a bike with more of a dirt focus, a gravel bike is a better option. They're a little more comfortable, both in geometry and ability to run bigger tires, a little more stable, and are more suited for longer rides in general with things like three+ bottle mounts. A CX bike meerly meets the minimum requirements, or in the case of the X-night with it's one bottle cage, not even that.

I live in the desert btw, and a mtb is the best choice for the the dirt roads here. That's what I mean by not all gravel being the same.

If you want to lose your mind about market segmention, take a look at mountain bikes...just look at Trek mountain bikes. They have three XC race bikes, TWO 150mm travel enduro bikes, TWO DH bikes and a trail bike ffs...and that's just the premium models. More choices are better than fewer because it allows the consumer to make better choices and make fewer compromises. Whether the consumer makes good decisions or not about what's available is up to them, but if the market will support it, it's a good thing.

blaugrana

Post by blaugrana »

And there is also tyre clearance. For a dedicated CX frame there is no reason to have it clear more than 33mm tyres (plus a decent amount of mud), because it's a race machine and that's the maximum size allowed for racing. But people are using tyres much bigger that that for gravel, so it makes sense to design frames that allow it. At some point it gets a bit silly and it might start making more sense to just buy a mountain bike (and stuff like dropper posts on gravel bikes is well beyond that point), but that's a completely different argument.