X-night for gravel?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chiltonp

X-night for gravel?

Post by chiltonp »

Would a Ridley X-night be suitable for gravel or would the cyclocross geometry make it handle weird on gravel, (taller BB i presume)?

Thanks in adavnce.

IrrelevantD

Re: X-night for gravel?

Post by IrrelevantD »

Not familiar with the Ridley, but personally, I found my Trek Crockett to feel a little squirmy at speed and on loose gravel. I'm going to atribute that to higher center of gravity and inability to run larger than 38mm wide tires (it's a Canti). I know someone with the same exact bike that said he has no problem with it on gravel, but I'm also probably 50lbs heavier than he is, which furthers my high CG suspission.

My Cervelo Aspero has a similar HT angle and I'm running it with more rake, which going by the numbers should be 7~8mm less trail. Even so, it feels much more stable. Biggest difference is the Aspero has about 8mm more BB drop, which is going to lower the CG.

Long story short, it might work for you it might not. For sure any cross bike can do gravel, but handling is going to depend on a lot of factors and ultimately will come down to personal preference.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TheRich

Post by TheRich »

Any bike is a "x" bike if you want it bad enough.

I haven't had an issue with my Boone on gravel or while taking it mountain biking on intermediate terrain. (I didn't go "fast" but it was far from "slow") A lot of it probably comes down to technique and what you're already comfortable with.

Staying off the saddle while descending and being more dynamic with your position in general, weight distribution, dropping your heels when pedals are level and keeping the outside pedal down in corners all help. If it's the bike you have it's the bike you have, ride it in the conditions in question and you'll find a way.

simoncx

Post by simoncx »

I've never had a problem using my cx bikes for gravel or even fast road group rides but I train on my cx bike close to 7 months out of the year so I'm use to it. I've had the old isp x-night, boone, mares cx and fuji cx bikes and all worked fine the only difference I've seen is the ability to run bigger tires in the newer gravel frames but I never really needed more then 35mm tires but thats just me.

caad4rep

Post by caad4rep »

I have an X-night and the only real issue is that it only has mounts for 1 bottle cage.

jesper2913

Post by jesper2913 »

chiltonp wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:25 pm
Would a Ridley X-night be suitable for gravel?

Thanks in adavnce.
Definitely.

Don´t get caugt up in all that marketing babble about geometry of a gravel bike. If it´s good for cx it will work very well for gravel as well. There are gravel sections in cx races, which is why cx bikes handle those very well. Taller BB is only a plus ,which they also ought to build into gravelbikes. But if they did, they wouldn´t sell any gravel bikes, I guess...

ms6073

Post by ms6073 »

caad4rep wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:13 am
I have an X-night and the only real issue is that it only has mounts for 1 bottle cage.
At least you have bottle cage bosses. While they are long since gone, my pair of 2012 X-Night ISP models did not have any bosses for bottle cages. Until last year, I was using a disc brake CX frameset for gravel and as already mentioned, the only limitation was the width of the tires, yet it worked just fine with Scwalbe G-One All-Around 700x38's. Replaced that with a gravel specific open-mold frame which offers ability to run wider tires, lots of bosses for mounting 4-sets of bottle cages, as well as fenders/racks, but also offers a longer wheelbase and a tad bit heavier.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

TheRich

Post by TheRich »

jesper2913 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:30 pm
Don´t get caugt up in all that marketing babble about geometry of a gravel bike. If it´s good for cx it will work very well for gravel as well. There are gravel sections in cx races, which is why cx bikes handle those very well. Taller BB is only a plus ,which they also ought to build into gravelbikes. But if they did, they wouldn´t sell any gravel bikes, I guess...
It's not marketing, it's different use scenarios.

A gravel bike is going to be better at a wider variety of gravel riding (fast and slow), a CX bike is going to be better on dirt that isn't gravel, as in light mountain biking and be more than capable for fast gravel riding.

Not having two bottle cages is a pretty big limitation for any road-type bike.

tonchy

Post by tonchy »

A simple & cheap solution, not the prettiest one though.

Ridley X-Night SL di2 (2018)-Giant Defy Advanced 2 HRD (2017)-Trek Superfly 6 (2016)-Klein Aura V (2004)

jesper2913

Post by jesper2913 »

TheRich wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:03 pm

A gravel bike is going to be better at a wider variety of gravel riding (fast and slow), a CX bike is going to be better on dirt that isn't gravel, as in light mountain biking and be more than capable for fast gravel riding.
Exactly what the marketing tells you. And exactly my point.

Being able to ride bigger tires than 38 mm is real though. And that is a limit worth considering. But if you don´t need tires bigger than 38 mm, then go ahead with the Ridley.

Catagory6

Post by Catagory6 »

jesper2913 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:30 pm
chiltonp wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:25 pm
Would a Ridley X-night be suitable for gravel?

Thanks in adavnce.
Definitely.

Jesper, your answer warms my heart. my hope for humanity is not dead.

to the OP, i've done just about every "gravel" event/race that vermont has to offer. with terrain FAR less forgiving than gravel, or hard-pack roads. the geometry of the Ritchey Swiss Cross and Focus Mares cx were not the limiting factor

and if the x-night is anything like those two, you will be able to run 40mm in dry conditions

TheRich

Post by TheRich »

jesper2913 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:17 pm
TheRich wrote:

Being able to ride bigger tires than 38 mm is real though. And that is a limit worth considering. But if you don´t need tires bigger than 38 mm, then go ahead with the Ridley.
So it's not marketing because of tire size limitations?

jesper2913

Post by jesper2913 »

TheRich wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:55 pm
Maybe we have different understandings of what gravel is...

IrrelevantD

Post by IrrelevantD »

TheRich wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:55 pm
jesper2913 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:17 pm
TheRich wrote:

Not getting into the "marketing" argument, but I can absolutely tell you that I can tell the difference between my Trek Crockett and my Cervelo Aspero on road, dirt (singletrack) and gravel with similar tire sizes (38 vs 40). At speed on dirt and gravel my "gravel" bike absolutely feels more stable and faster. Slow, technical sections of single track, my Cross bike feels more nimble. I was able to compensate for the lack of nimbleness by putting 650B's on my Aspero, but I absolutely notice the near full CM difference in BB height with the increased number of pedal strikes.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TheRich

Post by TheRich »

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:18 pm
Not getting into the "marketing" argument, but I can absolutely tell you that I can tell the difference between my Trek Crockett and my Cervelo Aspero on road, dirt (singletrack) and gravel with similar tire sizes (38 vs 40). At speed on dirt and gravel my "gravel" bike absolutely feels more stable and faster. Slow, technical sections of single track, my Cross bike feels more nimble. I was able to compensate for the lack of nimbleness by putting 650B's on my Aspero, but I absolutely notice the near full CM difference in BB height with the increased number of pedal strikes.
None of that is surprising. The Cervelo is a little longer and a little lower, so it's going to be a little more stable at speed...because that's what it's made for.

I'm just a little confused by the "it's marketing" crowd, should all bikes be the same? It's always going to be the responsibilty of the consumer to buy the product that suits their needs best and more choices is always better than fewer. From this end of the internet it just looks like blindly defending what you own.
jesper2913 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:17 pm
Maybe we have different understandings of what gravel is...
No, I just understand that not all gravel is the same.