Gravel Titanium Frame Options

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tsafur
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:40 pm

by tsafur

sebejo wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 am
So what the fuss is about? Genuinly curios what you say about Ti frames ownig an UPPER as well.
tsafur wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 pm
I prefer carbon bikes, but i had to see what the fuss was about, with Titanium frame gravel bikes, so i built one. I still prefer my Open UPPER and 3T Exploro lTD for gravel races.
Don't know what the fuss is about either. It may be that the Ti bike is pretty indestructable and thats why people like them for gravel. The compliance of the Lynsky vs UPPER is hard to compare since I have not used the same tires. On the Upper, I use 700c 40mm tires. The Lynsky I run 700c 46mm tires or 650b tires 50mm-54mm.

I do have my UPPER and 3t Exploro Ltd set up more aggressive for gravel racing.

My custom OPEN WI.DE. is setup very similar to the Lynsky, which is a better comparison. The WI.DE. handles sharper and is a faster bike. With 2.35" Schwable Racing Ray/ Racing Ralph tires, you can ride most singletrack(most, since for true downhill singletrack, you need a real suspension fork).

by Weenie


froze
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 am

by froze

Everyone is screaming this or that is the best, but are they? who invented all the techniques and innovations used today by all the TI builders?

Anyone?

Anyone?

The answer is...Lynskey did while being the original owner of Litespeed, which is if you go to Litespeeds website they take the credit for those innovations in aerospace and cycling which is misleading since it was Lynskey that did that stuff and not the current owners of Litespeed. https://litespeed.com/pages/innovation All those innovations reported on that site were all done by the Lynskey family and not the current owners.

Anyway I think Lynskey, because of their vast experience, is the best titanium builder in the world bar none. Sorry, I know that comment will piss off people who paid big bucks for a Moot or a Seven or whatever, but facts are facts, and those other builders use Lynskey techniques that Lynskey developed years ago. Not saying that Moot or Seven or others are bad frame builders, just saying is that Lynskey has a lot more experience and knowledge. That's why I bought a Lynskey Peloton back in 2013 because I knew I could trust that frame builder over others more, and it's been a great riding bike, it was their lowest costing frame at the time but it rides very nicely, fits great, and is very well made, even the welds are very nice despite being a lower costing frame.

szazbo
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:26 am

by szazbo

I had Bill Holland in San Diego build me Exogrid Gravel bike recently. Internal brake hose through the T47BB, and Di2. Frame is custom geometry and sizing. Weight is 18lbs. Really enjoying this bike. Sorry i cannot figure out how to imbed the photo, but the link works
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0WJtdOXmJpFXPJ

froze
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 am

by froze

I contacted Litespeed about their glaring refusal to give Lynskey credit for all the stuff on their website...they never responded back.

spdntrxi
Posts: 3458
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

froze wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:25 am
I contacted Litespeed about their glaring refusal to give Lynskey credit for all the stuff on their website...they never responded back.
what did you expect honesty...? he sold the bidness.. thus all the intellectual property related to litespeed as well most likely....

kode54
Posts: 1699
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

I've owned a Litespeed years ago when Lynskey ran the company. In fact several including some mtb. But I really don't feel Lynskey is any better than Moots, Seven, No.22, Firefly or any of the Ti builders out there.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

froze
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 am

by froze

kode54 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:21 am
I've owned a Litespeed years ago when Lynskey ran the company. In fact several including some mtb. But I really don't feel Lynskey is any better than Moots, Seven, No.22, Firefly or any of the Ti builders out there.
The reason Lynskey is not any better is because all those companies you mentioned, including others you did not mention, use Lynskey's innovations when he was at Litespeed to make their product.

froze
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 am

by froze

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:13 am
froze wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:25 am
I contacted Litespeed about their glaring refusal to give Lynskey credit for all the stuff on their website...they never responded back.
what did you expect honesty...? he sold the bidness.. thus all the intellectual property related to litespeed as well most likely....
Intellectual, of course, but what about historical? When the Beetles sold some of their music to Sony they sold the intellectual property but the Beatles maintain the historical creation behind the songs. This is not an uncommon thing.

spdntrxi
Posts: 3458
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

froze wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:23 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:13 am
froze wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:25 am
I contacted Litespeed about their glaring refusal to give Lynskey credit for all the stuff on their website...they never responded back.
what did you expect honesty...? he sold the bidness.. thus all the intellectual property related to litespeed as well most likely....
Intellectual, of course, but what about historical? When the Beetles sold some of their music to Sony they sold the intellectual property but the Beatles maintain the historical creation behind the songs. This is not an uncommon thing.
that's apples to oranges and I think you know it.

Lynskey sold in what 1999.. one of the sons stayed on for a number of years after that.. it's 2020 and they have moved on.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post