Open WI. DE.

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

barrysvt

by barrysvt

I am considering purchasing the OPEN WI.DE. Force/Eagle AXS complete bike.
What are your thoughts, opinions, rants, and raves?
1994 Carbonframes Tetra Pro
2015 Velovie Vetta

kundica

by kundica

I built an Open U.P. in May and been extremely happy with it. It serves as my everything bike with multiple wheelsets.

If you don't need the added tire clearance of the WIDE, I'd go for the U.P. since the WIDE is limited to 1x. I know you plan on going 1x but having the option to change in the future is nice. I started with Force 1 mechanical but found the gaps on the road to be too annoying. I currently run Force AXS in a 1x setup with the 10-33 cassette but will eventually add the front derailleur when more 3rd party AXS compatible chainrings are available or I decide to eat the weight of the Force crankset.

If you want the tire clearance and don't mind huge jumps on the road I think the WIDE would be a great bike.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

I have bought an Open Wi.De last July and I built it with Dura Ace Di2 but with an XTR Di2 rear derailleur.
Together with DT Swiss GRC 1400 in 700C and 650B.

The bike is really excellent! I preferred it over the U.P as this bike is only for gravel and maybe next year bikepacking also.

My gearing is 38x11-40 but I also have a 36 and 11-42 and 11-46 in case.
The move to a 1x is ok for gravel. And the Di2 is so nice. I have placed the Di2 charger at the end of the bars.

Otherwise I would have rather bought the blue colour like the U.P but as I ordered it but the only colour available was this grey matte/ gloss combo. Meanwhile I really love that grey matte/ gloss combo as the bike is always riding on gravel and with the dust etc...this colour is definitely very adequate!

The quality of the frame, fork and accessories is not as great as for some high end road bike that I won (Pinarello F10, disk Colnago C60) but that's still ok. More important was for me to have a really good (road bike) geometry, a narrow q factor and the ability to run 700C or 650B with wider tires (up 2..25") for my gravel bike.

If you don't need the tire clearance, then go for the U.P. (that you can now also find used on the market).

Oh I forgot...If you want to use a powermeter on it, the chocie is basically limited to pedal-based, crank spider-based powermeters etc... as the clearance of the crank arms is too tight.

Open has also adverstised that some specific fenders for the Wi.De will be available at the end of this year.....

Packs

by Packs

TonyM wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:41 pm
My gearing is 38x11-40 but I also have a 36 and 11-42 and 11-46 in case.
Hi Tony, lovely bike. Have you tried the 36 with that chainset yet? I'm wondering if it would fit as Open says the minimum is 38?

markdjr

by markdjr

The UP is a better bike in most regards unless you are using it exclusively for chunky gravel/singletrack or you need a more relaxed geometry. That being said, you can't go wrong with either Open as they are the benchmark for a gravel bike in my opinion.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Whats the USP for the open? Seems overpriced. What makes it better than say a new Ibis Hakka?

biwa

by biwa

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 pm
Whats the USP for the open? Seems overpriced. What makes it better than say a new Ibis Hakka?
Wondering the same. What's USP btw?

TonyM

by TonyM

FactoryMatt wrote:Whats the USP for the open? Seems overpriced. What makes it better than say a new Ibis Hakka?
The Hakka was my second choice after the Open! Definitely a good bike. And not that expensive on top!!

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

biwa wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:57 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Wondering the same. What's USP btw?
sorry, Unique Selling Point/Proposition.

emotive

by emotive

FactoryMatt wrote:
The Unique selling proposition of the WI.DE is road bike geometry with clearance for 27.5 x 2.4" MTB tires.

by Weenie

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I'd rather take this today
https://www.rodeo-labs.com/td3/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D