Another GRX di2 Question

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

d36

by d36

Is grx di2 rear derraileur just a rebadged xt?
Is there any real benefit apart from wanting to go 2x with a road fd?

Price difference is approx $200

Point

by Point

If I remember correctly from my research, the grx is very similar in looks to the XTR but acts more like the Ultegra RX derraileur in that it has a slightly less tensioned clutch than the XTR.

by Weenie

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

It's closer to a rebadged Ultegra RX, which is no longer in the lineup.

The XT (M8000-GS) officially has a max front difference of 10T, Ultegra is 16T, GRX is 17T. Largest cog on the cassette is 42T for XT, and 34T for Ultegra and GRX.

Additionally, the cable pull for the MTB components is different. GRX is is fully compatible with Shimano road groupsets, with 600 and 800 series being 105/Ultegra equivilent 11-speed groups, and 400 series being 10-speed Tiagra equivilent.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TheRich

by TheRich

Point wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:08 pm
If I remember correctly from my research, the grx is very similar in looks to the XTR but acts more like the Ultegra RX derraileur in that it has a slightly less tensioned clutch than the XTR.
Which should reinforce the idea that if you want to go 1x with Di2, use a mtb derailleur....along with the fact that it's designed to work with a big cassette.

ooo

by ooo

2x Di2 GRX RD-RX815 = RX RD-RX805 + longer cage + bigger tension pulley + stronger factory tension (can be readjusted on both)
1x Di2 GRX RD-RX817 = XT RD-M8050 + same cage and pulley + software removed any fd compatibility + different link to hanger

For 2019 products (XT/GRX/etc) shimano use new clutch grease, which can also be applied to older products, if you can find it.
(before 2019 shimano applied internal gear hub grease on clutch, now they recommend new grease for old mtb/road clutch derailleurs)
'