S-Works CruX vs. Boone Framesets

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Hypothetical question. Let's say all else being the same (price, groupset, wheels, etc) which frame would you rather have for a mostly CX race bike, some gravel riding. Both setups would be the same and cost the same price, the only difference would be the frame: S-Works CruX vs Trek Boone. Is there a price difference that you'd choose one over the other?

Not so hypothetical. I'm looking at 2 used bikes. S-Works Crux with tubular wheels, SRAM Force 1 drivetrain. Trek Boone RSL, tubular wheels, Ultegra Di2 2x. Same price.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Crux : pros
more tire clearance at 40mm vs 38mm.
3rd bottle cage

Boone: pros
Isospeed
Hidden fender mounts

Ones I know right off..
Personally Prob the Boone for longer days out with a hydration pack with Isospeed comfort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'd go with the Boone, just because it comes with the Di2 (which you could probably sell and get mechanical, and recuperate some of the cost, if you don't want to go with Di2).

Also, advertised tire clearance for Trek is a joke. My Crockett is advertised at 33mm, max. I'm running 38's for CX races, and could probably fit 40's. My wife's Boone is a little narrower (1st gen canti frame), but she has plenty of clearance for 38mm wide tires.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:21 pm
I'd go with the Boone, just because it comes with the Di2 (which you could probably sell and get mechanical, and recuperate some of the cost, if you don't want to go with Di2).

Also, advertised tire clearance for Trek is a joke. My Crockett is advertised at 33mm, max. I'm running 38's for CX races, and could probably fit 40's. My wife's Boone is a little narrower (1st gen canti frame), but she has plenty of clearance for 38mm wide tires.
Tire clearance is one of my considerations, so it's good to hear they can clear a bit bigger. WTB Riddler 37s are one of my favorite tires so as long as it can clear those I'm good. And I will be keeping the Di2. I have it on my road bike so I know how awesome it is.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Crux :pImage

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

HaroldC

by HaroldC

@Nefarious86 - nice looking bike! What is the tire clearance on the Crux? What size tires are you running?

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm running 40mm tires on my Crux. I never rode a Boone but the Crux is a wonderful bike.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

37mm. The front looks like it would take a 50 but the reat will max out at 40.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

This is what I'm looking at.

Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

TheRich

by TheRich

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 pm
FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Tire clearance is one of my considerations, so it's good to hear they can clear a bit bigger. WTB Riddler 37s are one of my favorite tires so as long as it can clear those I'm good. And I will be keeping the Di2. I have it on my road bike so I know how awesome it is.
Actual 38's will fit on the back. I ran 40's for the Crusher in the Tushar and there was a little rubbing (luckily I had put helicopter tape on the chainstays and the course was dry). Did another, slightly shorter gravel race with a 40/35 combo and it wasn't noticeably different, comfort-wise. The rear isospeed really does make up for quite a bit.

Remember kids, always check your setup with plenty of time to change it.

sandbox

by sandbox

Ive had both. I prefer the CruX, and thats what I currently ride. I ultimately prefer the handling- small, but noticable differences. I like the 27.2 traditional post... I dont care for BB30, but have a Wheels Manuf BB in there thats bomb proof with my DUB spindle.

The bigger frame negatives for me were the Trek BB90 system and contaminent exposure. There really isnt a way around that system like with the BB30. Secondly, the seat clamp with that mast cap. Ive had them slip over the years (Madones and Boone).

My $.02

sandbox

by sandbox

Double post. Oops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com