Cane Creek EE Wings cranks or EC90SL?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

szazbo

by szazbo

Thinking about putting some EE wings cranks or Easton EC90SL's on my new Holland Exogrid gravel bike running a double chainset. Besides the cost difference, any opinions? I know that the EE have a wider Q factor than the EC90Sl, but in real life dont know if that will be felt. Thanks

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I considered them both... ultimately the EE is not a color match for the rest of my bike so I opted for Easton (lighter but less stiff potentially).. I also did not like how the spindle is not removable on the EEs..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

duplicate

tandemracer

by tandemracer

I have been using the EC90 cranks with their Cinch power meter spindle for about a year now. Overall they have been good. The cranks feel plenty stiff, the shifting on their rings has been smooth using eTap, and the Cinch power meter has been reliable. The only negative I have run into has been that the fixing bolt on the left crank when using Cinch was near frozen in place after a few months of use even with plenty of grease and proper torque. A friend running the same setup had the left crank fail with the alloy insert separating from the carbon at the BB end. Easton replaced the arm quickly under warranty.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've been customizing my EC90 cranks lately.

The Easton spindle is essentially the same as the late-model Cannondale Hollowgram,
so you can get a shorter Hollowgram spindle, such as 125mm or even 122mm to reduce the Q even more.
The stock Easton is 129mm.

Plus, I just discovered that the spindle pattern is also the same as the old SRAM Red/Force/S900/S950 3-piece cranks.

And on the NDS arm, you can pull the fixed bolt and insert a bolt/puller cap combo just like on the drive side.
Lots of colors are available too.

kode54

by kode54

I got a set of eeWings for my Moots. Had them bead blasted to match the Moots finish by Aguave Finishworks. Matches perfectly. Haven't had time to put them on yet, but taking the THM SE cranks off and moving those to the Factor. Looks like they're well made and light for Ti cranks.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

markdjr

by markdjr

ee for the win

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

UpFromOne wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:53 pm
I've been customizing my EC90 cranks lately.

The Easton spindle is essentially the same as the late-model Cannondale Hollowgram,
so you can get a shorter Hollowgram spindle, such as 125mm or even 122mm to reduce the Q even more.
The stock Easton is 129mm.

Plus, I just discovered that the spindle pattern is also the same as the old SRAM Red/Force/S900/S950 3-piece cranks.

And on the NDS arm, you can pull the fixed bolt and insert a bolt/puller cap combo just like on the drive side.
Lots of colors are available too.
Do you think you could do the same with Raceface?

szazbo

by szazbo

Update....I went another direction with my crank choice. Went with the Praxis Zayante Carbon, with 32-48 rings Couldnt be happier. Really excellent price, forged DM chainrings that shift as good or better than OEM DA crank I replaced. Praxis has matching crank boots also. My bike has a T47 BB. Only caveat is that you need to use the Praxis BB also as the drive side is 30mm and non drive is 28mm spindle. Praxis also has a PM option and use the 4iii. Not sure if it would clear my chainstay or not, so stuck with the standard arm. Also very nicely finished. Not as cool looking as the CC Ti crank but has options for any chainring option at the right price. Not sure where they are made, but doesnt say made in china.
https://praxiscycles.com/product/zayante-carbon/

by Weenie

Stendhal

by Stendhal

kode54 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:13 pm
I got a set of eeWings for my Moots. Had them bead blasted to match the Moots finish by Aguave Finishworks. Matches perfectly. Haven't had time to put them on yet, but taking the THM SE cranks off and moving those to the Factor. Looks like they're well made and light for Ti cranks.
Holy cow that's an impressive bike stable!
Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: S-Works Tarmac SL6, LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0