Favero Assioma with Xpedo CXR Pedals

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

prebsy

by prebsy

just buy the m force 8 instead of the cxr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

prebsy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm
just buy the m force 8 instead of the cxr.
That may not be helpful advice for people who already bought the CXR believing that it would fit.
prebsy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:26 pm
I actually failed at trying to port my assiomas over to xpedo pedals twice. It seems that the 3 bearing kit can have 2 different spindle/shield combos. On both CXR and Thrust NXS I was unfortunatley greeted with a spindle that did not use a metal bearing sheild but rather an O-ring built into the spindle. Cnapierala said he worked around this by building a slim custom washer (not sure the width). I believe the M-force 8 should have nothing on the spindle and the metal bearing shield.

To actually answer your question of reliablity... There should not be additional issues since this is literally the same bearing and shielding setup as an Xpedo mountain bike pedal (m-force 8). I do think the o-ring spindle setup ,CXR, would be even better for bearing life but you need to build a custom washer to get that one running.
I ordered Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti (215g), plus Favero Assioma Uno (280g). They arrived today. The pedals physically fit OK. The swap only took 3 minutes and did not require any special tools; just a 6mm hex, 8mm pedal wrench, and 9mm nut driver. Photos here. The modified set of SPD power meter pedals now weighs 270g.

I also have to cut some material out of my MTB shoes' rubber cleats to make room for the bulge next to the crank, but this is familiar territory for anybody who's experimented with super-low stack heights in the past, ie Ritchey Micro Road pedals.

The different spindle profile makes it appear that there is about 4mm of lateral play when the nut is tightened (the pedal body can move laterally on the spindle) but this stops when the end cap is fully screwed in, pushing the outboard bearing back into its seat. I'm not sure the cap is intended to stop lateral play, but the dimensions are exactly right. Both pedals appear to have the same bearings¹, and neither has a removable bearing shield or washer.

One problem: The M-Force 8 Ti (at least the version that I got) has the metal lip and an O-ring built into the spindle, to protect the inboard bearing. The Favero Assioma spindle doesn't have that feature (understandable, for a road pedal), but the body of the M-Force 8 Ti leaves extra space for this shielding, so when the Favero Assioma spindle is fitted, there's a gap which may allow dirt ingress. I think there is up to 4mm of space for home-brewed shielding which would take up exactly the same space as the shielding on the Xpedo spindle, but I'm not sure what other problems that might cause. I will sleep on the problem and try to solve it tomorrow. If there's no space, then a 0.2mm PTFE shim washer will have to do the job (and perhaps also a wide rubber O-ring on the crank side of the washer, to reduce the amount of dirt which gets as far as the washer).

¹ I haven't tested this, but it would be convenient to cannibalise the unused pedal for spare bearings.
Last edited by bobrayner on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

prebsy

by prebsy

My understanding is the end cap is used to pre-load on all these xpedo 3 bearing pedals.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Prebsy is wise.

In the meantime, I found a solution to the gap-sealing problem. It's bizarre but it's also so obvious that I can't believe I missed it.

I bought Favero Assioma Uno, so only the left-side spindle has a power meter. I swapped that into the left-side Xpedo pedal. Neither of these had a shield for the crank-side bearing. However, the other (unmetered, unused) Assioma pedal does have a shield, and it fits perfectly on the power-meter spindle and fits perfectly in the body of the Xpedo M-force 8 Ti. This should keep out most of the dirt.

I can go get some muddy power readings tomorrow.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Has anyone tried the 3-sealed bearing iSSi pedals (from QBP)? They look like they might be candidates for the hard to find Xpedo pedals.

https://rideissi.com/articles/issi-spin ... aring-tech
https://rideissi.com/pedals
adrenaline junkie

bobrayner

by bobrayner

SpeedyChix wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm
Has anyone tried the 3-sealed bearing iSSi pedals (from QBP)? They look like they might be candidates for the hard to find Xpedo pedals.

https://rideissi.com/articles/issi-spin ... aring-tech
https://rideissi.com/pedals
That's a nice choice of colours! https://rideissi.com/pedals/issi-flash

Are there dimensions for the Issi spindle? I could dig a micrometer out of the toolkit and measure an Assioma spindle...

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

No dimensions found on quick look. I know someone who has some variant of the pedals and will check them in next day or two to see if they are one of the 3 bearing models. Update to come. Thanks.

They aren't "loved" pedals overall but they use and sell cleats that look a lot more like SPD than the Xpedo cleats. Could also be an option since many of the xpedo pedals are out of stock.
adrenaline junkie

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Measurements for the iSSi III pedal spindle
The iSSi pedals were a 3-bearing set. Spindle length from end to the outer side of crankarm: 79.0mm
Spindle dia. 10mm
There is a flexible seal that simply pushes up against the inner bearing. Inner bearing easily slid off spindle.
Distance from threaded end of spindle to outboard side of inner bearing 43.0
About 53 from the inboard side of the seal to the outboard end of spindle and 47 to the bearing inboard side.
Last edited by SpeedyChix on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrenaline junkie

bobrayner

by bobrayner

OK. I just pulled out my unused Assioma spindle. Sorry, no submillimetre precision today - the battery in my micrometer died so I'm reading the old-fashioned scale instead.

Total length of spindle in the pedal, from inboard side of inner bearing to the end of the spindle's threaded tip, is 47mm. (77mm if measuring from the outer side of the crank arm). 10mm spindle diameter for the inner bearing. 6mm spindle diameter for the outboard bearing. The inboard side of the outboard bearing is 10mm from the tip, or 37mm from the inner face of the inboard bearing.

That looks like it's close to fitting an Issi pedal - what do you think about the position of the outboard bearing? Also, would the inner face of the Issi pedal clear the big lump of black plastic on the Assioma spindle, or does it have a lip that projects a long way past the inner bearing?

In the meantime I worried about the big gap on the inner face of my M-Force 8 Ti pedal body - there might be an Assioma bearing shield hidden inside, but the hole looked like it would attract mud and grit, so I added an extra layer of protection: A 1mm PTFE washer with 10mm inner diameter and 16mm outer diameter, which fits snugly, almost like a Belleville washer.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

All pedals in the house: Assioma, iSSi and Xpedo. iSSi pedal test = success. NOTE: it HAS to be the III version of the iSSI pedal, that's the 3-bearing pedal. iSSi had three variants of each of their pedals and ONLY the III will work.

The 3-bearing iSSi will work. Had access to this iSSi pedal but looking at their bearing kits the smaller body one should work.
iSSi and SRM X-Power pedals both state SPD compatible. Looking at the pedal bodies, the cleat interface for both look closer to the Shimano than the Xpedo.
WW info: Xpedo test pedals (M-Force 4 Cr) bumped single pedal weight up 20g (40g for the pair)

Last edited by SpeedyChix on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
adrenaline junkie

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Good work!

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

I've learned a lot via the forum and am glad to be able to contribute.
adrenaline junkie

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Here's the iSSi III conversion with the Flash III pedals.
The Bontrager Comp mtb pedal looks like another candidate. If I'd spotted those before ordering the iSSI, I'd have tried those as the body looks like it might be a bit ligher than these.

adrenaline junkie

backdoor

by backdoor

SpeedyChix wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:47 am
Here's the iSSi III conversion with the Flash III pedals.
The Bontrager Comp mtb pedal looks like another candidate. If I'd spotted those before ordering the iSSI, I'd have tried those as the body looks like it might be a bit ligher than these.
Great job on this conversion. Those are some sweet looking power meter pedals. How is the clearance with the shoe/cleat and the Assioma power meter unit? It looks like you wont get the couple of mm of clearance from the cleat as you do in the road pedals.
Last edited by backdoor on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The bontrager bodies would be a neat option if compatible
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com