Favero Assioma with Xpedo CXR Pedals

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

backdoor wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 am
Great job on this conversion. Those are some sweet looking power meter pedals. How is the clearance with the shoe/cleat and the Assioma power meter unit? It looks like you wont get the couple of mm of clearance from the cleat as you do in the road pedals.
Thanks. I have sufficient clearance with the Shimano RX-8 gravel shoe but would have to cut away some of the shoe edge of the Pearl Izumi X-Projects if I was to use those. Since these pedals won't see real mtb use it's not an issue. I did mount my cleats toward the inside of the shoe even with the CXR pedal hack. The cleat engagement of the iSSI is much easier, not catching in the non-cleat portion of the pedal body like can happen with the xpedo pedal body.

This is on the CXR body but it's similar with the iSSi.
Nefarious86 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 am
The bontrager bodies would be a neat option if compatible
If I see a pair of the Bontrager pedals on sale or a used pair, I may grab them and check those out yet this winter. May as well get a good datbase of "donor" pedals established. Though buying and even selling some of the pedals for a single test does add up.
adrenaline junkie

Scarpa

by Scarpa

So what is now the lightest functional option out there to have a powermeter pedal ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

X-Power are heavier @335g for the pair.
Last edited by SpeedyChix on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrenaline junkie

bobrayner

by bobrayner

I'm on 270g, using Xpedo M-Force Ti with a Favero Assioma spindle. Are there lighter options?

I really hoped there would be some way to use the Favero Assioma spindle with my beloved Ritchey Micro Road pedals - saving a few grams and also slightly more aero - but it would require much more work which I don't have time for. (It would also need a lathe).
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

Theologian

by Theologian

bobrayner wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:43 am
I'm on 270g, using Xpedo M-Force Ti with a Favero Assioma spindle. Are there lighter options?

I really hoped there would be some way to use the Favero Assioma spindle with my beloved Ritchey Micro Road pedals - saving a few grams and also slightly more aero - but it would require much more work which I don't have time for. (It would also need a lathe).
Is that UNO or DUO?

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Is it possible to just buy the Favero Assioma Upgrad Kit to use it for Xpedo as a powermeter?

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Scarpa wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:22 pm
Is it possible to just buy the Favero Assioma Upgrad Kit to use it for Xpedo as a powermeter?
At present, you can buy spindles but a pair of them are as much as the full Duo set which would include the charger, etc.
adrenaline junkie

Scarpa

by Scarpa

I know the price but it will work wright ? And second question will it still work if you use just the right side as a single Powermeter?
The idea would to have 2 single Powermeter, one pair of Pedals where the Powerunit is in the right side and by the second Pedals power will come from the left side.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Scarpa wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:41 pm
I know the price but it will work wright ? And second question will it still work if you use just the right side as a single Powermeter?
The idea would to have 2 single Powermeter, one pair of Pedals where the Powerunit is in the right side and by the second Pedals power will come from the left side.
Yes, you could do that. For second quesiton: No.
Last edited by SpeedyChix on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrenaline junkie

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Thanks for the great Info - why is it not possible to use just the right side as a single side Powermeter?
Do you know that?

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Scarpa wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:52 pm
Thanks for the great Info - why is it not possible to use just the right side as a single side Powermeter?
Do you know that?
It's the way they've designed it. Seems most of the pedals have a "master" and "slave" communication design.
adrenaline junkie

Alg86

by Alg86

Hi,

Thinking about this hack - can anyone tell me what is the clearance between the cleat and the pod? (or the cleat bolt and the pod - whatever is easier to measure; I want to see if I have to cut the sole on the shoes or not...)

bobrayner

by bobrayner

It depends on what shoes you wear. (Your preferred SPD cleat alignment might make a little difference, too, and maybe even shoe size?). If you wore it with a lower-profile, more road-oriented shoe then I think cutting is very unlikely.

Here's a photo of the sole of one of my MTB shoes. I cut it quickly, and don't mind the little hole through to the inner part of the moulded rubber cleat; in normal use it's shielded from the environment, but if something like that happened on your shoes and if you really cared about hidden æsthetic detail, I'm sure it would be easy to fill it with a small blob of rubber glue.

Remember to cut out a slightly longer section than you need when "clipped in", so there's room for the shoe to rotate when unclipping.
Last edited by bobrayner on Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usr

by usr

SpeedyChix wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:20 pm
It's the way they've designed it. Seems most of the pedals have a "master" and "slave" communication design.
Not most, all. At least all that talk ANT+, because ANT+ simply doesn't have a variant of the protocol for "talking to two halves of a powermeter separately". Bluetooth has both options and it's causing all kinds of trouble.

"Right only" could maybe work if you somehow managed to deploy the left side firmware to the right pedal, but considering how the well the Nordic wireless update mechanism is cryptographically secured that would be a very unlikely project involving severe reverse engineering efforts on the android updater app or something like that.

Or maybe it could not work at all, even if you bring into their offices accessing the server that is hosting firmware development, because right side might be running a variant of the board missing the accelerometer. But since Assiomas actually do support the "separate Bluetooth" option the board could allay be complete. Nobody knows and most people also don't care.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

A report from the field: My Assioma-Xpedos survived a severe pedal strike today, when I chose the wrong line on the trail. The big lump of black plastic looks exposed, but it's actually quite tough. Mine is just slightly scratched. I was worried that it would be vulnerable. Good news!