Favero Assioma with Xpedo CXR Pedals

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

robertbb wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:14 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:29 am
So after reading through this: https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/a-wild- ... s/18627/24 and looking for a power meter option for my Trek Checkpoint, I decided to try this hack.
Do you have any pics of the CXR's side-on with the cap on? In your first pic it kind of looks like the cap is recessed.

The CXR's do appear wider than the mForce models from pics...
I don't have them on right now, I switched back for road riding. But the cap fits just like the M Force. The picture I posted was missing the side cap, it's not recessed at all.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:59 am
robertbb wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:14 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:29 am
So after reading through this: https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/a-wild- ... s/18627/24 and looking for a power meter option for my Trek Checkpoint, I decided to try this hack.
Do you have any pics of the CXR's side-on with the cap on? In your first pic it kind of looks like the cap is recessed.

The CXR's do appear wider than the mForce models from pics...
I don't have them on right now, I switched back for road riding. But the cap fits just like the M Force. The picture I posted was missing the side cap, it's not recessed at all.
Well, if the cap fits... :D

Thanks heaps for that. Makes my decision far easier!

mashiehood

by mashiehood

robertbb wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:44 pm
mashiehood wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:03 pm
Chuffed about this now I don't have to stress about two power meters on two bikes, easy swap between MTB cross and road 😀
What's to stress about? I got sick of transferring my pedals from bike to bike almost daily (especially from roadie to commuter) that I got another set of Assioma's. Still undecided which XPedo body to do the swap with.
Get another set to make life easier to be honest Im happy to tinker the night before the ride for 15 minutes rather than spending more for convenience...

ooo

by ooo

How much longer is Favero axle to comparing to xpedo stock cxr axle?
Can I use it as single side power meter with some washer under right axle thread (to make them symmertical)
'

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ooo wrote:How much longer is Favero axle to comparing to xpedo stock cxr axle?
Can I use it as single side power meter with some washer under right axle thread (to make them symmertical)
Mine were identical but I didn’t use the CXR as my donor pedal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Brilliant! Exactly what I want on my gravel bike/s and turbo set up.
I just need to source some sensibility priced Favero Assioma DUO donor pedals 👍🏻

MichaelB

by MichaelB

For those that have done this conversion, how is it going ?

Any issues with damage/rock strikes ?

prebsy

by prebsy

Anyone who did the conversion with cxr did they leave out these bearing shields? Seems dandy without them but leaves the inner bearing exposed. With them in the bearing binds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cnapierala

by Cnapierala

I sanded mine down to thin them up. Took some trial and error but worked great.

prebsy

by prebsy

Cnapierala,
do you have any idea how thick they ended up for them to work? in my head i think that answer is 0mm lol. I want the nut to bottom out without preloading the bearing so the cap can do that. that seems to be how xpedo designed the system. Running without the shield for the time being as it loads up perfectly, yes that inner bearing is exposed but shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Cnapierala

by Cnapierala

prebsy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:05 pm
Cnapierala,
do you have any idea how thick they ended up for them to work? in my head i think that answer is 0mm lol. I want the nut to bottom out without preloading the bearing so the cap can do that. that seems to be how xpedo designed the system. Running without the shield for the time being as it loads up perfectly, yes that inner bearing is exposed but shouldn't be that much of an issue.
I dont have a measurement. I recommend just taking it slow and test fitting it as you go along. It worked out great though. Spins smooth as butter!

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

How have people found the xpedo pedals for stability? I've heard some complain they're not the best?
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but: Have there been any reliability problems with this setup? Does it cope with long-term mud & grit?

I want power metering via SPD pedals, and the Assioma / CXR combination is much more tempting than the SRM option.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

prebsy

by prebsy

I actually failed at trying to port my assiomas over to xpedo pedals twice. It seems that the 3 bearing kit can have 2 different spindle/shield combos. On both CXR and Thrust NXS I was unfortunatley greeted with a spindle that did not use a metal bearing sheild but rather an O-ring built into the spindle. Cnapierala said he worked around this by building a slim custom washer (not sure the width). I believe the M-force 8 should have nothing on the spindle and the metal bearing shield.

To actually answer your question of reliablity... There should not be additional issues since this is literally the same bearing and shielding setup as an Xpedo mountain bike pedal (m-force 8). I do think the o-ring spindle setup ,CXR, would be even better for bearing life but you need to build a custom washer to get that one running.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

prebsy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:26 pm
I actually failed at trying to port my assiomas over to xpedo pedals twice. It seems that the 3 bearing kit can have 2 different spindle/shield combos. On both CXR and Thrust NXS I was unfortunatley greeted with a spindle that did not use a metal bearing sheild but rather an O-ring built into the spindle. Cnapierala said he worked around this by building a slim custom washer (not sure the width). I believe the M-force 8 should have nothing on the spindle and the metal bearing shield.

To actually answer your question of reliablity... There should not be additional issues since this is literally the same bearing and shielding setup as an Xpedo mountain bike pedal (m-force 8). I do think the o-ring spindle setup ,CXR, would be even better for bearing life but you need to build a custom washer to get that one running.
Oh no! That sounds like a pain. Difficult to engineer in your back yard, but should be trivial for a big pedal manufacturer to fix...
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com