Ti "Slate Mk2" frame time - help !

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

glepore

by glepore

Sweet. We should meet, I have a 5m Endless pools spa in my courtyard, took a small crane and some forethought but I love the thing. Odd thing is I wasn't really a swimmer, but going slow in warm water with a snorkel is amazingly theraputic.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Well I'm about to start swimming lessons, but may try the snorkel option as well.

We had a 20 tonne Franna Crane. Ours was an easy lift over a 5' fence and a trundle along paving. Paperwork was the hassle !!

Waiting to hear back re the Rewel frame. Standing by to standby !!

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So, the Rewel option just faded out of contention sadly, primarily due to shipping cost and the seller just taking too long.
So a locally sourced GT Xizang 9r Ti frame and also a Carbon Speed Lefty w wheels eventually won out.

Now the fun and other parts hunting begins :beerchug:

BB is threaded BSA, so just gotta find an affordable super compact crank with power :unbelievable:

glepore

by glepore

pics when its done...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MichaelB

by MichaelB

They'll come when things start going together. Frame is here, fork and 2 sets of wheels should be here in next day or two.

Finally have the crank sorted. Was ideally going for a 46/30 and looking at the GRX600 cranks, but they aren't compatible with a 73mm wide BSA shell :unbelievable: . In fact, just about NOTHING but MTB cranks fit easily, but then you can't get the same ratio's :| .

Managed to snaffle a set of M775 cranks for postage ($10) and can get some rings from Italy that will get me a 44 or 42 outer and 32 or 28 inner. So, think that is sorted.

Next connundrum are the brakes. which Shimano 4 potter to go for :noidea:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

It's started :mrgreen:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So, since a few more bits came in the mail on Friday, time to start checking that it's gonna actually fit together.

1st was checking that the Project 321 Lefty adaptor fits.

Starting to come together. Lefty in it's new home :D
free image hosting

It's a real shame that the Speed versions didn't come in the 114mm clamp distance so I could get rid of that spacer stack. The only way to achieve that is to buy a Hybrid 2.0 or Ocho Lefty, which according to those in the know are akin to Satan's spawn and should be banished from earth. So a spacer stack it is. One day I may strip that white paint and polish the clamps to match the frame.

The other key part to trial was whether the 42T outer chain ring cleared the chainstay. 46T would definitely NOT have fitted, easily.

Sheesh, that's close :shock:

There is about 1mm gap there, so may not need any other spacers, but pending how the FD-CX70 plays re the chain line, I may need to get the SRAM Wide clamp adaptor and play around there a bit more. 8)

I'll update when more bits get together :D