SRAM AXS with Rotor 12 speed cassette?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Rotor claims its cassettes have standard 12 speed spacing... It does seem that the spacing is about the same across the board but I didn’t know there was a standard, but OK.

So could you then have a drop bar 1x AXS setup with the Eagle AXS derailleur and, for example, an 11-36 or 11-39 cassette? This is more like the setup that I was hoping SRAM would release for 12 speed. Actually I was hoping for a 1x mechanical version but that ship has sailed.

I have no idea wether or not the AXS derailleurs will work with any but the dedicated (10-50 in this case) cassette sizes that come from SRAM, which don’t interest me. Anyone with an AXS group have any thoughts - could you, in theory, use a different cassette size or is totally locked in?
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flashpunk

by flashpunk

I use an e-thirteen 9-46 and 9-50

voidjava

by voidjava

Derailleur, max. number of teeth: 50

gwerziou

by gwerziou

flashpunk wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 pm
Cool! So a 11-39 12 speed cassette would work then!
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

flashpunk

by flashpunk

gwerziou wrote:
flashpunk wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 pm
Cool! So a 11-39 12 speed cassette would work then!
Yah definitely with the eagle Axs derailleur.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

spacing might be the same, but don't the SRAM 12 speed chain have different roller size?

AZR3

by AZR3

ChiZ01 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 am
spacing might be the same, but don't the SRAM 12 speed chain have different roller size?
I believe it’s just the flat top chain, not the eagle chain. So you could just run normal chainring, Rotor 12spd cassette, eagle chain and eagle axs rear derailleur

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

I'm just thinking out loud here. The Eagle derailleurs have an offset upper jockey wheel. As you move to a smaller cog on the cassette, the excess chain allows the cage to move backwards and the offset jockey wheel goes up in order to track close to the cassette and shift nicely. So they are very dependent on chain length and b tension.

The derailleur body doesn't rotate at all (move up and down). It just goes sideways (in and out).

Eagle chain length is set on the 50 tooth cog. If you set the chain length and b tension for a 36 or 39 big cog I think there might be problems with how the upper jockey wheel actually tracks the profile of the cassette, progressively getting worse towards the smaller cogs.

I think it will work, but you may have to actually set chain length and b-tension as if you had a 50 tooth cassette on there?