Shimano RX8 Shoes - with weight

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Just picked up a pair in 45 Wide from my LBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

nowadays gravel means heavy and expensive

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ChiZ01 wrote:nowadays gravel means heavy and expensive
If you know of a lighter shoe, share. I got these to replace my very heavy Lake MX237s.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

cauchy

by cauchy

Size 43, with shimano blocks installed (50g). They are very good, but not as comfortable in riding as my old Catlike Whisper, and not as comfy in walking as my old M077. Neverheless I know I will quick get use to them Image
Pedals - shimano PD-ES600, 280g pair

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Love that color option. Wanted to get them but they don’t come in a Wide. Nice choice and great weight.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

jlok

by jlok

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:16 pm
ChiZ01 wrote:nowadays gravel means heavy and expensive
If you know of a lighter shoe, share. I got these to replace my very heavy Lake MX237s.

I'm very interested in this RX8 shoes as my road touring shoes. I want to get the Time Cyclo 10 as well.

How do they compare to MX237 (45 wide?)?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

cauchy

by cauchy

Please consider RX8 more as racing shoes than touring. They are very stiff, and walking with them is just additional option, in opposite to heavier but more comfy other shoes, like mine M077. With them I could go lite treking in mountains. With RX8 not realy ;)

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

jlok wrote:
I'm very interested in this RX8 shoes as my road touring shoes. I want to get the Time Cyclo 10 as well.

The MXs were noticeably heavier and the sole not as stiff. Walking on flat surfaces easier because of the flex but walking up loose inclines not as easy. I have more pep in my step with the RX8, stiffness and weight allowing me to take bigger “leaps”.

The toe box on the MX had more height but this wasn’t necessary for me and I like the slimmer RX8.

The boa on the Lake is and old style and temperamental once dirt and mud find their way onto the shoe making it difficult to release or tighten. The RX8 has not shown any change in boa performance regardless of how dirty they get.

Finally, heel retention is about the same for me but the MX had more comfort in this regard. I put that down to materials used.

The MX felt more like a steel toed dress shoe while the RX8 feels more like a soccer cleat.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

jlok

by jlok

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 pm
jlok wrote:

The MXs were noticeably heavier and the sole not as stiff. Walking on flat surfaces easier because of the flex but walking up loose inclines not as easy. I have more pep in my step with the RX8, stiffness and weight allowing me to take bigger “leaps”.

The toe box on the MX had more height but this wasn’t necessary for me and I like the slimmer RX8.

The boa on the Lake is and old style and temperamental once dirt and mud find their way onto the shoe making it difficult to release or tighten. The RX8 has not shown any change in boa performance regardless of how dirty they get.

Finally, heel retention is about the same for me but the MX had more comfort in this regard. I put that down to materials used.

The MX felt more like a steel toed dress shoe while the RX8 feels more like a soccer cleat.

Are your MX237s 45 wide? How do you compare the widest points of your RX8 and MX237s?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

jlok wrote: Are your MX237s 45 wide? How do you compare the widest points of your RX8 and MX237s?
Yes they were 45 Wide

I have E width feet and I would say they’re about equal width with the MX feeling roomier because of the toe box height.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

jlok

by jlok

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:21 pm
jlok wrote: Are your MX237s 45 wide? How do you compare the widest points of your RX8 and MX237s?
Yes they were 45 Wide

I have E width feet and I would say they’re about equal width with the MX feeling roomier because of the toe box height.

Excellent review :thumbup: ! Thank you so much!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

jlok wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:21 pm
Yes they were 45 Wide

Excellent review :thumbup: ! Thank you so much!
YMMV but I hope it helps.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I've had mine for about a week. I was switching back and forth on my Aspero between Giro Empire SLX with Speedplay pedals for road, and Empire VR90s with M8020 SPDs for gravel and single track. I wanted to switch to one shoe and pedal for everything because switching pedals was getting to be annoying and the VR90 felt a bit tight at the front and top of my foot compared to the SLX. Just wasn't as comfortable, especially on multi-hour rides.

I found the RX8 to be a good compromise between the two. At 320g per shoe (size 44 with cleats), they are about 30g heavier than the SLX (44 with speedplay walkable), and about 40g lighter than the VR90 (also 44). In regards to fit, they feel a little roomier in the toe box than either of the Giro shoes, and the heel cup feels more secure. The one thing I'm still trying to get used to is the pad where the inner top of the shoe wraps over the foot. This is where the top of the tongue would be. It's not uncomfortable, doesn't cut into my foot, but it is something that I do notice. Power transfer is good, shoes feel stiff and with the larger platform 8020 cleats and single release cleats, I can hardly tell I'm not using a road specific pedal system.

As for walkability, I find them better than most road or race oriented MTB shoes. Not sure how much flex they have in the toe, but the lugs feel like they have a nice arc to them that makes walking easy.

All in all, no complaints and I've been very happy with my purchase.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

cauchy

by cauchy

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:57 pm
The one thing I'm still trying to get used to is the pad where the inner top of the shoe wraps over the foot. This is where the top of the tongue would be. It's not uncomfortable, doesn't cut into my foot, but it is something that I do notice.
I have exactly the same after few rides, but Im sure I will get use to this, maybe less tension of boa will help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Js2

by Js2

cauchy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:39 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:57 pm
The one thing I'm still trying to get used to is the pad where the inner top of the shoe wraps over the foot. This is where the top of the tongue would be. It's not uncomfortable, doesn't cut into my foot, but it is something that I do notice.
I have exactly the same after few rides, but Im sure I will get use to this, maybe less tension of boa will help.
I also notice this as well. My remedy for this is to insert the edge of my pinky finger on that black padded inner top when tightening the boa dial so the area near the boa dial tightens more evenly with the lower area. For me, this makes that padded area less obtrusive with the digging pad feel.

I'm not sure if it make sense when I put it this way, but give it a shot. :thumbup: