Shimano RX8 Shoes - with weight

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

alibudia1712

by alibudia1712

good shoes. stiff. I use black one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Im tempted to get these but

- the Grey doesnt come in Wide (why does Shimano think Wide shoes should only be limited to BLACK? Same with Specialized)

- this severely needed 2 BOAs. Looking at Shimanos pattern this will most likely get the double BOA treatment in the next gen, but the strap is so limiting when you have shoe covers riding during fall/winter in the North East

Ho hum..what to do...

jemima

by jemima

g32ecs wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 pm
Im tempted to get these but

- the Grey doesnt come in Wide (why does Shimano think Wide shoes should only be limited to BLACK? Same with Specialized)

- this severely needed 2 BOAs. Looking at Shimanos pattern this will most likely get the double BOA treatment in the next gen, but the strap is so limiting when you have shoe covers riding during fall/winter in the North East

Ho hum..what to do...

Lake MX241 Endurance Wide in the grey-mix camo option.
Curve Grovel ti.

WindyCityCy

by WindyCityCy

I also wonder if 1 BOA dial is enough.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Velcro... why....

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

g32ecs

by g32ecs

WindyCityCy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:24 pm
I also wonder if 1 BOA dial is enough.
In my brief experience with 1 BOA dial (whether on it's on or paired with a velcro) - no. Had about 2-3 pairs.

Single BOA shoes usually place their dial at the wrong spot, either at front left to the ankle or right. When you're in a race situation or about to make a huge effort uphill, you tend to cinch it way too tight because obviously you want the shoe to hug your feet, but it only concentrates the tightening where the BOA is. When youre done that hard effort you tend to dial it down again for circulation, but alas, now the shoes are too loose.

The companies to do a single BOA correctly are Pearl Izumi (they place it centrally in the middle top of the shoe) or Bontrager (back of the heels), but even then, I cant trust single BOAs. Too much adjustment on the fly.

Now if you ask me who does double BOAs perfectly: it's the Lake 403 shoes . They got it. The BOAs arent too close to each other, it's actually spread between the forefoot and the ankle area. No idea why companies wont do it this way, it's the design the makes a lot more sense.

Also, the current S works shoe and the models just below it. 2 BOAs plus a velcro at the forefoot.

Now if I had that kind of money to spend...

https://lakecycling.com/products/cx-403 ... 7106029662
Last edited by g32ecs on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

cauchy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:39 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:57 pm
The one thing I'm still trying to get used to is the pad where the inner top of the shoe wraps over the foot. This is where the top of the tongue would be. It's not uncomfortable, doesn't cut into my foot, but it is something that I do notice.
I have exactly the same after few rides, but Im sure I will get use to this, maybe less tension of boa will help.
This hurts my internal side ankle as well here. Not as bad as Specialzied shoes do there. Once I put my high arch foot beds in, they felt much better.

As for the single boa / velcro, it's not a big deal. The adjustment on the toe area is pretty static anyway, as you don't need it to get out of the shoe. I think two adjustments are needed, but not really two boas. The single boa /two pivots allow even tension across the top of your foot as you move around.
I've got XC9 and the RX8, I get a better fit out of the single high boa/velro low, than the boa high/mid config. The heel is different on the two shoes as they use two different strategies for walking; the XC9 external heel lets your heel move around to walk, while the RX8 internal heel holds the foot more closely using the more centered lugs on the sole for walking. You don't need to go full-stupid clamping the RX8 boa down (as you don't most shoes), you can keep the shoe comfy slipper snug and sprint - no problem.

One thing I was looking forward to - faster drying. I heard the RX8 was supposed to do this quicker, but it's not true. You can't open the RX8 as much as the XC9 to dry, and the RX8 upper will stay moist longer.

Biggest gripe- I don't know why shimano didn't design these to take toe covers better. They could have trimmed/place the lugs better to help strap placement

I bought the RX8 because I needed to get a size larger shoe. Using these as a general road/gravel shoes, I like the RX8 a bit more. If I were standing on rough terrarin or hillsides, I'd want the wider lug placement of the XC9. The RX8 is easier to walk in though

cauchy

by cauchy

Back to Baltic shore for 4 days Image

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

How are you getting along with your RX8's now?
I'm looking for new shoes and these are a potentially top of the list.

fa63

by fa63

Steve Curtis wrote:How are you getting along with your RX8's now?
I love mine; I actually like them better than any other shoe I currently have (the others are S-Works and Lake). I went with the Wide version for a little more volume (Shimano wide is not really wide, just a little more wiggle room), and I am using the high arch inserts that were included. Most comfortable my feet have been in a long time.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

fa63 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:16 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:How are you getting along with your RX8's now?
I love mine; I actually like them better than any other shoe I currently have (the others are S-Works and Lake). I went with the Wide version for a little more volume (Shimano wide is not really wide, just a little more wiggle room), and I am using the high arch inserts that were included. Most comfortable my feet have been in a long time.
Thanks. I've just ordered two pairs as I've no idea about Shimano sizing.
I went for the regular version but no problem if I have to reorder wides if needed.

Looking forward to having a look at these, I can't see anything else right now that is as light, stiff and non chunky.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The heel interior gave out after a hard of use. Great otherwise. They are a lot more comfy than the XC9

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Love mine, though as with all Boa shoes, I find I have to tighten them as I ride for a while. Can't tell if the Boas are loosening, the shoe material is stretching as it warms, or my feet are shrinking as blood flows elsewhere. But it's not a huge issue.

I won't comment on fit aside from comparing them to my S-Phyre road shoes, but those shoes aren't the latest model and I know there have been some changes to the fit. Bottom line, I got the same size as my road shoes, and they feel a little more generous in the toe, and more padded.

They disappear when I'm riding, which is great, and I don't feel any lack of stiffness -- I'm more likely to come out of the pedals than feel the shoes shift as I'm on a trail. As for walking: I don't end up doing a lot of that, and I wouldn't want to walk a mile on pavement in them, but the soles are grippy and so much more stable and less noisy in walking down the outside stairs when going for a ride!

justRideIt

by justRideIt

I also tried a pair of RX8 for ~500 km.
They look great and are really lightweight. Have a very stiff sole. Felt more like a road shoe than a MTB shoe.

Usually Shimano offers a regular and a wide version of their shoes, and with my wide feet, I always chose the wide version.
E.g. riding the S-Phyres SH-XC9 for MTB and SH-RC9 for road in wide version. They fit perfectly and are quite comfortable, even when my feet get even wider after some hours on the pedals.

The RX8 in Europe is unfortunately only offered in the regular version.

And for those riders with wide feet, I cannot recommend them. Too narrow.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Good to know we don't get the wide in Europe. I'll try the reg and see how they feel.
My other shoes, giro and northwave feel a little too big in the toe box so maybe a slimmer shoe will suit me.

Only on way to try.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com