Shimano RX8 Shoes - with weight

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cauchy

by cauchy

After 1.5 season I returned to my regular Catlike Whisper shoes. The main reason is that they are in fact much more comfy and soft inside. RX8 will stay probably only for some multidays trips with exploring/touristic character.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

So the 44 is too small and 45 a touch too big. Shame they don't do 44.5.

It's a nice shoe so I'm going to think about these 45s . Hummmmmmmmm

Update.

I'm sticking with the 45s. After playing around with the arch supports and spending some time looking around at other shoes, these are as close as I'm going to get to what I want.
My issue is the left foot is a few mm longer than my right, so the 45 fits the left but a touch big on the right.

Close enough

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgdracing

by dgdracing

For me the RX8 was a happy ending of a long hunt for new shoes. I had an old style Sidi Dragon 2 SRS which was awesome. Then I drove some midrange Scott MTB Premium shoes which where ok, but they also needed replacement. Then I bought the Giro Empire since it was promised to be very comfortable - but after 2h of rides my right left toe was in pain. Next up was the newer style Sidi Shoe Dragon 4 SRS where most of the soft leather was hard plastic so also not drivable for me. Then I got some Shimano XC700 which where ok but their shape was just not good, maybe half a size too large. Since I have the RX8: perfect fit, nice weight and fair pricing as well :)

kervelo

by kervelo

New colours for 2022.

Men

Women

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I was looking at these RX8 but Shimano just announced their mountain shoes XC902 which is supposed to be stripped down weight XC9 and around 295g. 2 BOAs, cost a little more but maybe worth waiting for.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Open question: What have you found to be best for cleaning these shoes?

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

twoangstroms wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:08 pm
Mine get the hose when I'm washing my bike. If I *really* want to get them clean, I'll go over the outside with simple green and a rag.

I will say, that after 2 years the shoes have held up well. I did start to notice a very slight separation in a spot or two between the upper and the sole, but it's not bad yet. I will also say that for a brief time I picked up some XC7s to use on my MTB, but I didn't find them nearly as comfortable as my RX8s, so I've been using them for everything, 300+ days and 5,000+ miles a year between road, gravel and MTB for two years. I did pick up a pair of Bont Riot+ MTBs last month, and while they are a little heavier than the RX8, I think I finaly found a shoe I like better.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks! A Clorox wipe didn't seem to do much (I did hose down my feet when I got back from a dusty-and-tromped-a-bit-through-a-bog ride). Was hard to tell what was the pattern, what was dirt, what was scuff from the crankarm, etc.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Xl size baby wipes for my bike and shoes after every ride.

3phase

by 3phase

twoangstroms wrote:
What I found that works best for me is spraying it with those sneaker spray protectors. Mine can be used with leather. When I got new road shoes (White!) I sprayed my shoes with it. So it has this thin film of protection that when it gets dirty it just wipes off easily and doesn't stick.

Same when I got my RX8 last year. Sprayed it as instructed and wipe off the dirt every ride. I Usually sparay again after 4-5 rides, depends on the conditions.

For already used shoes, Just thorughly clean your shoe before spraying.

3phase

by 3phase

twoangstroms wrote:
What I found that works best for me is spraying it with those sneaker spray protectors. Mine can be used with leather. When I got new road shoes (White!) I sprayed my shoes with it. So it has this thin film of protection that when it gets dirty it just wipes off easily and doesn't stick.

Same when I got my RX8 last year. Sprayed it as instructed and wipe off the dirt every ride. I Usually sparay again after 4-5 rides, depends on the conditions.

For already used shoes, Just thorughly clean your shoe before spraying.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Has anyone noticed the stack height on the RX8s? It's supposedly 4mm taller than the RC902, and even 3mm taller than their bog standard entry level MTB shoes.

I have them setup how my fitter put me, however I just noticed from the Shimano websites, they don't benefit from the seamless midsole construction that the XC shoes all have now.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... ology.html

rawjunk

by rawjunk

I'm wondering if it's worth switching from regular RX8 to XC902 wide. I've been pretty happy with RX8, but on longer rides and hot weather they can get a little painful. I ride size 45 and my feet are around 278/108mm. Lake MX332 extra wide could be an another option.

Edit: https://youtu.be/leQYgfT3_Ns?si=aMfu-Y4OtDYOVuk0&t=152

Apparently yes :)