New Gravel/Cross bike recomendation.

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Hi all,

Starting to look for a new gravel/cross machine for the fall season. No cross races, but will be running on fast gravel roads, and a bit of technical single trail.

Have a keen eye on the Giant TCX advanced with Apex 1, there are some great deals on those at the moment.
Have also looked at the On One/planet X Space Chicken, with apex and 650b wheels, about the same price.
I like the look of the Canyon Inflite in Black, that looks awsome, but the tire clearence limits it to about 35mm so its a no go. The grail AL 7.0SL looks like a super deal, but not reeealy sold on the looks. but it does come with Rival1 instead of Apex1.

Any other options I sould consider?

jemima

by jemima

20%off some gravel bikes at Planet-X at the moment.
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Omiar

by Omiar

Are there any options for a steel gravel frame with fast/race type geometry? Up to 38mm tyre (with some tread) cleareance is ok.
Actually the Planet X Tempest V3 FM Titanium is looking quite impressive for the price with the only small minus being the missing FD clamp.
Scott Foil Disc Ultegra Di2 R8070
Scott Foil Ultegra Di2 6750
Scott Spark LTD 29" XT M8000
Scott Scale 35 26"

gorkypl

by gorkypl

There will be the new Cinelli Nemo Gravel, but I haven't seen its geometry anywhere yet.
https://www.bellatisport.com/shop/produ ... ravel.html

jemima

by jemima

Omiar wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 am
Are there any options for a steel gravel frame with fast/race type geometry? Up to 38mm tyre (with some tread) cleareance is ok.
Actually the Planet X Tempest V3 FM Titanium is looking quite impressive for the price with the only small minus being the missing FD clamp.
Ritchey Outback frameset?
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Last year I was initially going to buy a Focus Mares but ended up getting a good deal on a TCX. Looking back I'm kind of glad I did as the TCX has heaps of tyre clearance, even though I started with 40c and I'm now running 35's. Not sure if the Focus can take 40's. It's been great, definitely not the lightest frame around but that's not high on my list when it comes to off-road riding. It's good fun to ride and I've taken it over some pretty gnarly terrain! The stock wheels were heavy weights but swapped those out for some Hunt's.

If I was buying now I would be looking at the Canyon Grail, Dare GFX, GT Grade. I like the write-ups that the Gran Fondo crew do:

https://granfondo-cycling.com/best-gravel-bike/
Canyon Ultimate - Ultegra Di2 R8050 - HED Belgium +
Focus Cayo - Ultegra 6800 - DT Swiss PR 1600 Spline
Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 - 105 5800 - Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc
Bowman Palace:R - 105 R7000- Hunt 4 Season Aero