New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

you wouldn't include the Factor Vista in the same category?
rasyad wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:24 pm
Stating the obvious the Aspero and Hakka are very different bikes in terms of purpose, geometry and fit. I went with the Aspero because there are only two road feel focased gravel bikes out there, the TTT Exploro and the Aspero. And of course the Aspero has an ideal fit for me so it was a no brainer. What are you looking for in an all road bike?

Rasyad
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs <-- incoming
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

kode54

by kode54

@rasyad,

thx for the review and comments on the bike. Interesting about the 27.5 versus 700c. But I suppose it all depends on the ratio of road to gravel...and like you say...why have 2 wheelsets? ride the road on road and gravel on gravel...but if you happen to take a detour, having the Aspero would probably be the choice.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs <-- incoming
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

by Weenie

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

rasyad wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm
I feel your pain. Good news there are options, bad news there are options. Warning random thoughts to follow.....I like the idea of one allroad, quiver killer bike but is this idea even valid if one has two wheelsets? Why not just keep the road bike (assuuming we all have one, of course) and there is no way the Aspero will match a real MTB, cross country or downhill and if one has these other bikes then why have two wheelsets?

My resolution was based on the riding I actually do. Here in the SF Bay area we have a ton of great road riding, and many large parks with fire roads and trails, all really crowded with people and horses. For me, 27.5 makes sence as does a more road focased tire because I like combination rides and love the way the baloon tires ride. I climb up on the roads then meander down throrgh the trails, then back around the flats on the road to home. I am sure I woud have other ideas if I lived somewhere else.

Rasyad
A similar approach in that I am building the Áspero to cover most of my preferred terrain with the option to go exploring on roads less traveled. Previously I had a gravel bike with 2 wheelsets but did not end up switching as much as I intended to so this time around the focus will be on a do-it-all setup. Thinking 32mm tires mounted to 40-50mm wide carbon wheels. Exploring my options there and have a short list of 5 wheelsets I'm considering.

Js2

by Js2

Thinking of getting one later this year or early next year for the BWR here in socal. I already have a road bike and a full suspension mtb, although sending it is not as enticing anymore since i don't want to break bones and stuff. Gravel bike seems to be a good middle ground between the two, my question is:

1. What would be a recommended setup for mixed terrain, part road part gravel with 1 wheelset:
- 700c / 650b
- 2x (50-34/11-34) or 1x (42 11-46/11-50)
- Wheelset recommendation, does not have to be fully aero, but some aeroness would be nice. Considering the battering the wheel will get offroad.
- Is Di2 reliable with all the vibrations and shaking on offroad riding?

Leaning towards 1x with ultegra di2 rear mech and shifters and MTB cassette. But not sure if I will miss the close ratio for road riding. Thanks in advance!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Js2 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 pm
1. What would be a recommended setup for mixed terrain, part road part gravel with 1 wheelset:
- 700c / 650b
- Wheelset recommendation, does not have to be fully aero, but some aeroness would be nice. Considering the battering the wheel will get offroad.

Leaning towards 1x with ultegra di2 rear mech and shifters and MTB cassette. But not sure if I will miss the close ratio for road riding. Thanks in advance!
I would go with 700c if you plan to cover more ground, 2x if you're sensitive about cadence, and I think Di2 is fine (I know a lot of gravel/cross riders that have been using non clutch 2x Di2 setups with success). Personally, I'm going with the Ultegra RX rear derailleur for a quieter drivetrain and 2x as I'm particular about my cadence.

Js2

by Js2

Thanks for the input VTR. I'm considering the Aspero vs. the Exploro.

rasyad

by rasyad

Js2, curious about your decision critera between the Aspero and Exploro? Have you ridden the bikes?

Aestically I like the Aspero better with the symetrically dropped chain stays, and less extreme tube shape. Overall I feel like the Asero design is more refined (except for the giant rubber chain stay and downtube stone guards). Of course all that is personal preferance.

It seems clear that with Gravel, tire choice defines bike character on many levels. It also depends on rider weight. the ligher you are the more versitility you get as you can run lower and higher pressures with either wheelset. I am really happy with the speed and feel of the Switchback Hills on 650b.

Rasyad

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Js2 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 pm
Thinking of getting one later this year or early next year for the BWR here in socal. I already have a road bike and a full suspension mtb, although sending it is not as enticing anymore since i don't want to break bones and stuff. Gravel bike seems to be a good middle ground between the two, my question is:

- 700c / 650b

1. mixed terrain/1 wheelset go 700c
-cadence sensitvity 2x.. I thought I was.. well I am a little but I went 1x and it's been alright.
-if you truely are going offroad... I would not go 50-34... either 48-32 or 46-30 for 2x with 11-34.. your 1x example sounds fine.. I'm 40T w/ 9-46
- di2 is fine and dandy.. I would not use anything else.. since I'm 1x I went XTR

I'm hoping to do the wafer BWR next year as well... normally I'm on my 650b wheelsets but I will use Enve 4.5AR with Compass Bon Jons 700x35 most likely.

The Aespero is a looker.. probably one of the better looking gravel rigs out right now.. I'm on a Parlee Zero XD
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

Js2

by Js2

rasyad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 am
Js2, curious about your decision critera between the Aspero and Exploro? Have you ridden the bikes?

Aestically I like the Aspero better with the symetrically dropped chain stays, and less extreme tube shape. Overall I feel like the Asero design is more refined (except for the giant rubber chain stay and downtube stone guards). Of course all that is personal preferance.

It seems clear that with Gravel, tire choice defines bike character on many levels. It also depends on rider weight. the ligher you are the more versitility you get as you can run lower and higher pressures with either wheelset. I am really happy with the speed and feel of the Switchback Hills on 650b.

Rasyad
At this point its purely aesthetics, I don't know if there is a demo available for the 3T Exploro but I can possibly get a demo Aspero since many shops already have them in stock right now. Aspero is definitely very sleek and clean where as the Exploro looks a little more brutal. I'm not a fan of the top tube cable routing and not sure how well the "hang loose" derailleur integration with the thru-axle is in real world use.

The Aspero is also very well priced, so if I'm going that route I might go for the rival (best bang for the buck, and ride the hell out of it and upgrade the component slowly, or just part it out). Or hell I might just get the teal frameset by itself and build it up. I'm still waiting on more reviews and hopefully someone will review both and I will have a better idea.
spdntrxi wrote: 1. mixed terrain/1 wheelset go 700c
-cadence sensitvity 2x.. I thought I was.. well I am a little but I went 1x and it's been alright.
-if you truely are going offroad... I would not go 50-34... either 48-32 or 46-30 for 2x with 11-34.. your 1x example sounds fine.. I'm 40T w/ 9-46
- di2 is fine and dandy.. I would not use anything else.. since I'm 1x I went XTR

I'm hoping to do the wafer BWR next year as well... normally I'm on my 650b wheelsets but I will use Enve 4.5AR with Compass Bon Jons 700x35 most likely.

The Aespero is a looker.. probably one of the better looking gravel rigs out right now.. I'm on a Parlee Zero XD
I am very tempted to give 1x a shot but have to finalize the gear ratios. Hopefully I will be able to demo one soon and try out the 1x system. Thanks again! :beerchug:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Js2 wrote:
The Aspero is also very well priced, so if I'm going that route I might go for the rival (best bang for the buck, and ride the hell out of it and upgrade the component slowly, or just part it out). Or hell I might just get the teal frameset by itself and build it up. I'm still waiting on more reviews and hopefully someone will review both and I will have a better idea.
Well you’re in luck... sort of. Jom has both and will be reviewing the Àspero soon: https://www.instagram.com/p/B065fRsAH54 ... d6lj6jviiq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Js2

by Js2

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 am
Js2 wrote:
Well you’re in luck... sort of. Jom has both and will be reviewing the Àspero soon: https://www.instagram.com/p/B065fRsAH54 ... d6lj6jviiq

That's the actual review I'm waiting for, wohoo! :beerchug:

rasyad

by rasyad

Saved a whopping 55 grams by removing the hideous black rubber downtube and chain stay protectors. I am mounting tools and spares in the underneith bottle cage so that area is covered. What recomendations do folks have for a full coverage chainstay protector? (one that actually stays stuck on, unlike the original)

After two weeks of working with tubless I went back to innertubes. (albeit, really light tubes). While I did learn to get the tires sealed and working properly I found out that even at 38psi I was at the safety limit for the combination of Enve G27s and extralight Rene Herse Switchback Hills. At my 260lbs, standing up a short steep headwall on pavement was enough to cause a rear rim leak, not a full blow, but enough to drop 20 psi. So I nursed the thing home feeding it gas along the way, then ditched the juice.

I am experimenting with Maxis flyweight inner tubes at 100 grams, and Tubolito tubes at 45 grams. I can now ride pavement safely at 50psi and the ride is amazing, superball lively and fast. Swapping tires for knobs in the dirt will now be trivial. very happy......Rasyad

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

rasyad wrote:What recomendations do folks have for a full coverage chainstay protector? (one that actually stays stuck on, unlike the original)
I once visited an automotive tinting business and bought a small roll of clear 3M vinyl and cut as I need. Have used it on all glossy frames. For matte frames, I use old bar tape.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rasyad wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 pm
Saved a whopping 55 grams by removing the hideous black rubber downtube and chain stay protectors. I am mounting tools and spares in the underneith bottle cage so that area is covered. What recomendations do folks have for a full coverage chainstay protector? (one that actually stays stuck on, unlike the original)

After two weeks of working with tubless I went back to innertubes. (albeit, really light tubes). While I did learn to get the tires sealed and working properly I found out that even at 38psi I was at the safety limit for the combination of Enve G27s and extralight Rene Herse Switchback Hills. At my 260lbs, standing up a short steep headwall on pavement was enough to cause a rear rim leak, not a full blow, but enough to drop 20 psi. So I nursed the thing home feeding it gas along the way, then ditched the juice.

I am experimenting with Maxis flyweight inner tubes at 100 grams, and Tubolito tubes at 45 grams. I can now ride pavement safely at 50psi and the ride is amazing, superball lively and fast. Swapping tires for knobs in the dirt will now be trivial. very happy......Rasyad
sidewalls too supple.... maybe Gravelkings would be better.. stiffer sidewall for sure or WTB byways but those are softer then GKs
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

yinya

by yinya

For the chainstay protector I used a squash racket grip tape I had around, if you have handlebar tape or even an old inner tube, all work.

by Weenie