New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rasyad wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 am
Here is the new frame, waiting for parts.

Rasyad
https://imgur.com/pgM2gUc
good choice... it's gonna look good with those G27's

If I already didn't have a Parlee XD.. that cervelo would be in the running

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

rasyad wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 am
Here is the new frame, waiting for parts.

Rasyad
https://imgur.com/pgM2gUc
Sweet! Still waiting for mine to arrive. Do you have any weights yet?

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

indeed... weigh that thing.. looks my size :beerchug:

also measure the Seattube.. since that is left off spec.. I gotta have room for Di2 and dropper

rasyad

by rasyad

Frame as shipped, no headset or BB, with seat post collar, with thick rubber chainstay and downtube protectors, with all mouting screws, with front and rear derailleur hangers came to 1222g.

Front fork as shipped came to 450g

Cervello 27.2mm seat post came to 185g.

I will provide a bike weight and build details when it goes together, at least a week out. BTW fit and finish seem perfect and the kit of plastic bits, headset looks quite complete.

Really happy so far......

Rasyad

Stendhal

by Stendhal

rasyad wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 am
Frame as shipped, no headset or BB, with seat post collar, with thick rubber chainstay and downtube protectors, with all mouting screws, with front and rear derailleur hangers came to 1222g.

Front fork as shipped came to 450g

Cervello 27.2mm seat post came to 185g.

I will provide a bike weight and build details when it goes together, at least a week out. BTW fit and finish seem perfect and the kit of plastic bits, headset looks quite complete.

Really happy so far......

Rasyad
Sweet! And truth in advertising. Those weights match the numbers reported in the Cycling Tips article.
Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 (6.39 kg), Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Stopped by the shop today and no word yet on the Teal. Rumour is that they are very popular.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:09 pm
Stopped by the shop today and no word yet on the Teal. Rumour is that they are very popular.
I bet -- I am waiting too!

LBS on Sunday had it ready to order on the system but only in size 61
Competitive Cyclist let me put a 56 in the cart and did not as earlier say "wil ship when available." Naturally want to buy from LBS

Hope to try it out at a Cervelo Demo Day coming to the SF Bay Area Sunday
Retired: LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Stendhal wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:09 pm
I bet -- I am waiting too!

LBS on Sunday had it ready to order on the system but only in size 61
Competitive Cyclist let me put a 56 in the cart and did not as earlier say "wil ship when available." Naturally want to buy from LBS

Hope to try it out at a Cervelo Demo Day coming to the SF Bay Area Sunday
Our LBS’ must order from the same b2b pool, mine also mentioned the 61cm Teal is ready to ship.

Hope we get ours soon.

Wonder if competitive cyclist snatched them all up Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stendhal

by Stendhal

If it helps, here is a test report on the Aspero. I tried a size 56 at the Cervelo Demo Day today in Northern California. (Cervelo will be in Cupertino, CA next Saturday.). The demo master was excellent.

Until I test rode an Ibis Hakka 3 months ago in a parking lot, I had never ridden a gravel-like bike or a bike with size 40 tires. Until I tried the Cervelo today on a single track next to a paved trail, I had never ridden “off road” (on purpose). Thus, I don’t have much experience, so take the report with caution if you know more than me. My goal in the next bike purchase is to start with size 35 tires, with the option to go larger as I venture more off road. I don’t foresee going pure mountain biking or on ultra rough roads as I have a bad back (from running too much), but I would like to try some riding on dirt or crushed dirt roads.

I was surprised at the reach of the Aspero. It is rated at 397 mm, and had a 90 mm stem. My road bike is a Tarmac, 393 reach plus 110 stem. I thought the Aspero would be closer to the Tarmac, but it wasn’t. I guess the math works out but still I was surprised.

A contributing factor was that the test bike was built with 38 mm in spacers :?: . This means the reach is slightly smaller than it would be for a shorter stack. That plus an upturned bar made the geometry feel very much sit up and beg. The rider before me commented that it was a relaxed road geometry. I agree; it felt like a Synapse I rented on a vacation. I would think the ride would be different with fewer spacers; the Ibis I tried has the same stack, 580 mm, but with 10 mm spacers. At least now, the Synapse geometry is a bit too sleepy to me. (I am getting older, however.)

The seatpost was rather narrow, narrower than the Specialized Power Arc I am going to use. These factors plus the grippy but not deeply padded bar tape made the ride tougher than I think it needed to be. The positioning on my wrists was not right, understanding that I usually ride on the hoods. It was better in the drops.

The Ibis test ride was in a parking lot in cooler weather and today’s test was on a paved trail with somedetours in over 90 degree heat. Thus, the conditions were not constant. Also, as I mentioned, today was not the first time for me on this type of bike, so the Ibis ride had a novelty factor for my impressions. Both rides were using 1x SRAM Force, today the AXS. I am a huge SRAM fan, also a big guy (working on it!). While I plan to run 2x on the final bike, I feel confident from both rides that SRAM 1x will get any rider up about any climb: you just find a low gear and spin.

Here’s my bottom line, unscientific assessment: the Ibis is like a kid’s bike, and the Aspero is an adult bike. The Aspero is very much as Cervelo advertises: it’s a traditional Cervelo bike adapted to bigger tires, designed for speed via control. (I had tested an R5 prior to the Aspero ride, and have owned three Cervelos, so I am knowledgeable about Cervelo heritage and engineering.) The BBright width and stiffness give the rider control (or at least, for me, the feeling of control) so that she or he can power through the rougher terrain. The Ibis, again as a matter of new impression and without a comparable test on a tougher surface, is more carefree.

In disappointing news, the Cervelo demo manager said that he did not know about the availability of the teal frame. (He wants one himself.). He implied that they will be hard to get, as it is a “special” color in that it is frame-only. The burgundy color I tried does not have the subtle metallic finish, or depth of finish, of the olive-gold (from pictures and one I saw earlier, they did not have olive on the tour). It also does not have the subtle splatter pattern of the teal. Nevertheless, the burgundy looked great. I may have to bite the bullet and buy the burgundy. That would save money because I would buy the Apex version, have the shop build the frame with my existing parts, and sell the Apex. The price delta to the frame is $300 and the Apex group is over $700 on eBay not including the risk rotors, which I also would sell. Throw in selling the Alexrim wheels and I could exceed $300 easily AND help someone else build up their new bike at a discount.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Thank you for the review.
Let us know which way you end up going.

rasyad

by rasyad

Just finished building.

Frame: Aspero 51cm
Drive: Force CX1
Cranks: Cannondale SISL, 40t spidiring, 119mm spindle
Pedals: VP Harrier Altitude
BB: Wheels Manufacuring PF30
Wheels: Enve G27
Tires: Rene Herse 650B x 48 Switchback Hill TC (Gorilla tape for rim strip, Stans race formula)
Brakes: Yokozuna 4 pot in front, 2 pot in rear.
Rotors: XTR 180 in front, 160 in rear (I machined the front adaptor bracket and will finish it black, later)
Handlebars: Evne gravel, size 48 (48cm at hoods, 60mm at drops) Cinelli cork bar tape
Stem: Thompson 100mm Elite x4
Seatpost: Thompson 27.2
Saddle: Sella SMP Forma

Bike Weight without bottles, cages, tools came out to: 17.5 lbs on the button.

Going riding......
Rasyad

https://imgur.com/a/ULEf3jW

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

What made you go with a zero offset post over the setback they spec

rasyad

by rasyad

I generally like to get over the top of the pedals with my short legs so it is a matter of fit. That and I already had the post in my pile of parts. As I fine tune I may move back, we will see.

Just got back from my first ride (quick road ride) and am totally stoked, best bike, ever.

Rasyad

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Great! Really good to hear. Still don’t have my Teal F/S but still excited.

by Weenie

jemima

by jemima

rasyad wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:04 pm
Just finished building.

https://imgur.com/a/ULEf3jW

Frame size with those 48s looks so cool.
I've been considering the new 4pot but hadn't thought about just doing the front and leaving the rear as is.
Have you used the two-piston front prior; power comparison to the 4 ?
Curve Grovel ti.