New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Velosprints wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:39 pm
Hi guys,

Please forgive me for not wading through 22 pages of posts before I ask these questions: is it light? Would it double well as a road bike if I were to change out the wheels or tires? I have had my eye on a cross bike in order to get a more "race" geometry, but I just read an article that the Aspero has been used as a cross bike in competition! I have a boat anchor of a cross bike now with an Al frame, and I definitely have been a weight weenie since I started riding years ago, so I'm hoping the Aspero is light as a feather and responsive as a Ferrari.
Hi. I looked at this question intensely in shopping for a wider tire disc brake bike and buying an Aspero last year. I also have a sub-14.5 lb. highly responsive racing bike as a comparison. My bottom line, relying on company-published data and user reviews, is that the Aspero is among the lightest of the off-road ready frames that take a true 2x front derailleur (not limited to larger cogs), wide tires, and disc brakes. I built mine up to about 17.4 lbs currently (with pedals) and another poster here has a sub-16 lb. build. As to handling, even with 35mm non-smooth tires, it is reasonably close to my very good road bike. If, however, you truly want one bike that can get light enough to climb long and steep climbs on a frequent basis, I'd go for the Open UP (about 200 g lighter per its specs, which I trust), which is $400 more than the Aspero as a pure frameset; or, if you're rich, the Open UPPER (150 g lighter but $1500 or so more). Judging by their published specs and the customer builds on their site, on the average, the bike will be lighter, and it should be easier to get into a 15 lb range (with some even sum-15). This is apart from small custom builders who might be able to go lower in weight. The Aspero climbs better than its weight due to its excellent stiffness, but it's not a climbing bike.
Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: S-Works Tarmac SL6, LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

by Weenie

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:03 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 pm
For those that have Ásperos, mind sending me images of the NDS crank clearance?
Something like this?
172.5mm SRAM Red (old 3-bolt spider attachment)
54cm Frame
Looks like your threaded BB has a thicker NDS flange than my PF version. I found an image online of another Aspero with a Shimano road crank like mine and it appeared to be as close to the frame as mine is.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:03 am
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:03 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 pm
For those that have Ásperos, mind sending me images of the NDS crank clearance?
Something like this?
172.5mm SRAM Red (old 3-bolt spider attachment)
54cm Frame
Looks like your threaded BB has a thicker NDS flange than my PF version. I found an image online of another Aspero with a Shimano road crank like mine and it appeared to be as close to the frame as mine is.
That's the thread together shell that Cervelo ships with the 2x GRX version (Easton EA90 30mm Crankset). Press fit doesn't need to be as thick as it doesn't need the splines to tighten it down.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm very rarely impressed by a new bike but cervelo nailed it. The long and low geo is amazing. Road bike fast on pavement and so stable on the gravel descents.Image

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Come on Tax Rebate! Hopefully it's large enough so I can splurge on this.

LegPower

by LegPower

I'm selling a 54 with Ultegra / XTR Di2 if anyone is interested :)

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Damn. One size too small.

DrewXT

by DrewXT

Damn, you're on the other side of the world

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

A super specific question:

Has anyone tried using an Extralite Hyperfront disc (MTB) hub, with 12mm adapter insert, in their Aspero?

Trying to figure out if one of my wheels would fit my wife’s bike without buying the insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm
A super specific question:

Has anyone tried using an Extralite Hyperfront disc (MTB) hub, with 12mm adapter insert, in their Aspero?

Trying to figure out if one of my wheels would fit my wife’s bike without buying the insert.

Can't speak to the Extralite, but my 650B wheels that I use for MTB trails came as a 15x100. It's a Novatech hub, I pulled out the 15mm spacers and put in some 12mm and it works like a charm. I'd say give it a shot, worst thing that can happen is it doesn't fit and you don't ride it with that wheel. On a side note, I'm really kinda pissed off about all of the front hub/spacing standards for TA.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Well, in this case, it’s not an end cap that gets swapped out. It’s a Delrin bushing that gets pressed into each side of the axle. So the current axle outer diameter won’t change. Just the inner.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:49 pm
Well, in this case, it’s not an end cap that gets swapped out. It’s a Delrin bushing that gets pressed into each side of the axle. So the current axle outer diameter won’t change. Just the inner.
Gotcha. I don't know that i'd trust a plastic bushing. I've seen someone recomend an alloy through axle adapter such as this. I've concidered picking one up just to try it. For $15, might be worth a shot.

Miles253

by Miles253

The green colour this comes in is simply beautiful
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Miles253 wrote:The green colour this comes in is simply beautiful
Agreed! They’ve also used it in a different way on the R5. Good choices so far.

by Weenie

tylsteve

by tylsteve

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Sorry to change the subject away from bottom bracket bearings, but I've got through axle and trail mixer questions.

So I took the trail mixer off to flip it around to the rear position just to try it out without realizing you have to buy a new front brake mount to make it work (BRP-160-ASP if anyone cares). Feeling bummed, I got to looking at the mixer and it apears that you can mount either piece on either side of the fork. This got me thinking...

Is there any reason why we couldn't, or shouldn't mount the mixer so that the through axle threads in from the NDS, same as the rear? I tried it, seems to work fine, but I haven't ridden it that way yet. Furthermore, is there any good reason why some manufactures thread their front TAs in from the DS and some from the NDS? I'm assuming Cervelo does it from the DS because most, if not all of their other bikes are that way, but why is it that way to begin with? Having the TA levers on oposite sides always annoyed me.

Getting back to my original reason for going through this, has anyone actually played with the mixer in different positions? For the most part, I'm pretty OK with it in the forward "higher trail" position. With lower volume road wheels it handles very similar to the Allez Sprint I came off of but more stable in corners (assuming due to lower CG and longer wheelbase). With high volume 650Bs on MTB trails, it is fairly closer to the agility of my CX bike with 700s. I'm just kinda wondering if I should even bother trying the rear position, kinda seems like a pain in the ass.
From what I see, it is possible to swap the Trail Mixer pieces (left to right and vice versa), and it will still work. I tried it and it works, the thru axle lever will be on the other side.

However, I encountered another problem (seemingly unrelated?), where the concentricity of the Trail Mixer hole and the drop out slot is a bit off. The result is that when the front hub is placed into the front fork, the thru axle cannot go through all the way smoothly due to some hole offset. I had to tweak and adjust the Trail Mixer position many times before the thru axle can fit, although it is still a tight fit. This is with the Trail Mixer at the rearward position.