New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dmtevo

by dmtevo

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:40 pm
dmtevo wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:38 pm
Could this be the "do it all" bike?

I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my aluminium gravel bike and my carbon aero road bike. The geometry looks like an endurance road bike with a capability of using different wheel sizes.

Any thoughts?
Yes.

I bought a 54 Aspero and was able to replicate the position on my size 56 Allez Sprint. My primary intention in going with the Aspero was to replace my road and CX bikes and have this be my one bike for all with 80~90% of use being on the road.

I put Conti GT5000TL 28s on it and leaving the chip in the forward position (lower trail), it feels every bit as nimble as my Sprint did. Longer wheelbase and lower BB makes it feel more stable cornering at speed. It might be a touch slower in a straight line, but that could also be due to rolling resistance as 700x28's are about 3mm wider (@31mm) on the Easton AX rims than the rim brake HEDs I had on the Sprint. Power transfer is every bit, if not more stiff and I notice that most when climbing. Biggest downside for me on road is the 50T front ring limitation. It's relatively flat where I live and I have a tendancy to grind at ~80RPM in big gears. Not a huge issue, but I do notice I'm down in the 11-13T cogs more.

As for gravel, coming from using a Trek Crockett (cx) with 700x38's, the Aspero is much more stable with 40s at speed. I have also done some light and intermediate single track, and while it's not quite as nimble as the Crockett in tight cornering, and the lower BB has given me more pedal strikes especially on rocky climbs. That being said, I have bested my previous PRs on every trail I've taken it on so far.

The only place that I can see that it will have issues is going to be as a bikepacking rig. I'm sure you can find some way to give it cargo capcity, but it wouldn't be ideal. I don't do any of that, so it works great for what I wanted.
Thanks for the feedback, excellent!

thefuzzycow

by thefuzzycow

LegPower wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:26 am
It's prob worth noting that I've got a second set of wheels - DT Swiss XMC 27.5. They came in at 1360g for the pair. The only bummer with the Aspero is that I needed to go with 48mm tires instead of the 2.1" Thunder Burts I had on there before.
Leg, so I just sold my Exploro (sad day, didn't want to but hate I have no offset for seatpost options and proprietary seatpost. Anyways...) I have a set of Reynolds ATR 650 wheels that I used on trial riding that I fit with Thunderburts. Rim width put aside, Have you tried to see how snug the fit is on the Aspero with the 2.1" tires?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
"moo"
3T Exploro
Specialized CruX
Pivot Trail 429

by Weenie

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

thefuzzycow wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:12 pm
LegPower wrote:
It's prob worth noting that I've got a second set of wheels - DT Swiss XMC 27.5. They came in at 1360g for the pair. The only bummer with the Aspero is that I needed to go with 48mm tires instead of the 2.1" Thunder Burts I had on there before.
Leg, so I just sold my Exploro (sad day, didn't want to but hate I have no offset for seatpost options and proprietary seatpost. Anyways...) I have a set of Reynolds ATR 650 wheels that I used on trial riding that I fit with Thunderburts. Rim width put aside, Have you tried to see how snug the fit is on the Aspero with the 2.1" tires?

Thanks,
Fuzzy
I'm running 650x47 WTB Senderos on mine for trail use. They measure about 48mm on a set of Mercury wheels with 30mm internal. You could probably fit 50mm with about 3~4mm clearance on the DS, but any wider than that and you'd risk rubbing the stays if you got any caked on mud or an out of true wheel.

Narrower rim, like 24mm internal, maybe you could squeeze a 2.1, but I want to say anything bigger than a 1.95 is going to be extremely tight.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

thefuzzycow

by thefuzzycow

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:26 pm
thefuzzycow wrote:
LegPower wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzzy
I'm running 650x47 WTB Senderos on mine for trail use. They measure about 48mm on a set of Mercury wheels with 30mm internal. You could probably fit 50mm with about 3~4mm clearance on the DS, but any wider than that and you'd risk rubbing the stays if you got any caked on mud or an out of true wheel.

Narrower rim, like 24mm internal, maybe you could squeeze a 2.1, but I want to say anything bigger than a 1.95 is going to be extremely tight.
Right on. Good info. My ATR's are 23internal, 32 ext. I'm intrigued. If conditions are anything other than dry or morning dew, I probably would just ride my mtb. I'd keep the 2.1 or larger tires for dry trail.
"moo"
3T Exploro
Specialized CruX
Pivot Trail 429

emotive

by emotive

IrrelevantD wrote:
thefuzzycow wrote:
LegPower wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzzy

My ThunderBurts measure 52mm on my old 22C inner width rim and 54mm on my newer 28C inner rims. I’m now riding Maxxis Maxxlite 1.95 which measure 49mm on the 28C. About 80g lighter and well suited to dry trails.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

emotive wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm
My ThunderBurts measure 52mm on my old 22C inner width rim and 54mm on my newer 28C inner rims. I’m now riding Maxxis Maxxlite 1.95 which measure 49mm on the 28C. About 80g lighter and well suited to dry trails.
If they measure 49mm you should be fine, but personally I wouldn't go any bigger than that. I will also say that if you get a completely flat tire, a 650x47 will rub on the chainstays. There is no riding it on the rim.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

thefuzzycow

by thefuzzycow

emotive wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
thefuzzycow wrote:
LegPower wrote:

Thanks,
Fuzzy

Be it that my ATR's are 23mm inner width, I'm curious to see what the clearance would be with a 2.1 set up. With the recommendation of 4mm of clearance around the tire, I could see a 2.1 working with certain wheel/tire combinations. 4mm=0.16 inched On dry day of trail riding, it shouldn't be a huge issue. If I get a flat, it's time for hike-a-bike back to the car anyway!
"moo"
3T Exploro
Specialized CruX
Pivot Trail 429

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Rode on a damp day, picked up a lot of grime, found this caused by buildup between the NDS crank arm and the BB shell. I’m running a Shimano crank setup.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by VTR1000SP2 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:11 pm
Rode on a damp day last, picked up a lot of grime and found this caused by buildup between the NDS crank arm and the BB shell. I’m running a Shimano crank setup.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Ouch. That's painful to look at. Haven't seen that before. I did have my factory BB bearings disintegrate on me, which sent my big chainring into my chainstay.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

IrrelevantD wrote: Ouch. That's painful to look at. Haven't seen that before. I did have my factory BB bearings disintegrate on me, which sent my big chainring into my chainstay.
Sorry to hear about your issue, was it due to lateral misalignment in the shell?

On that same ride, I had a bad case of chainsuck which took a big old chunk of carbon with it. I going to have it repaired but am waiting for confirmation from Cervelo if a repair will void my warranty.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:39 pm
IrrelevantD wrote: Ouch. That's painful to look at. Haven't seen that before. I did have my factory BB bearings disintegrate on me, which sent my big chainring into my chainstay.
Sorry to hear about your issue, was it due to lateral misalignment in the shell?

On that same ride, I had a bad case of chainsuck which took a big old chunk of carbon with it. I going to have it repaired but am waiting for confirmation from Cervelo if a repair will void my warranty.

Yea, my guess is the bearings were misaligned in the shell from the factory. I thankfully had an 8mm Allen bit with me and was able to shift an NDS spacer on the drive side and limp back home. when I took it apart balls went everywhere. Shop replaced them with some Enduro ABEC-3 under warranty. Not the best, but probably better than what Cervelo had in there.

ryanw

by ryanw

I'd add a spacer or 2 on the NDS spindle to stop that from happening it it was my bike.

I don't rate Kogel at all after servicing some of their BBs and pulley wheels.
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ryanw wrote:I'd add a spacer or 2 on the NDS spindle to stop that from happening it it was my bike.
I will be adding micro shims when I reassemble.

I usually use Hawk BBs but got this Kogel BB for a good price and gave it a go. Wonder if the NDS sleeve has a thinner flange than other brands of BB.

simoncx

by simoncx

ryanw wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:47 pm
I'd add a spacer or 2 on the NDS spindle to stop that from happening it it was my bike.

I don't rate Kogel at all after servicing some of their BBs and pulley wheels.
I've had the same experience with kogel, never again. While the crank is off make sure to pull off the plastic dust shield and clean inbetween the shield and bearing because its a magnet for crap to collect behind.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

simoncx wrote:
I've had the same experience with kogel, never again.
What experience exactly? Just curious on the specifics.

by Weenie