New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:14 am
What is the widest 700c rim/tire you guys would run on the Aspero?

Still haven’t bought new rims yet. I have a 25.5mm, 33.5mm, 360g MTB rim already. Don’t know if I should buy another to match, or go with something entirely different. Really plumps up a 38mm Gravel King slick, and makes it most 5mm taller than the same tire on a 23mm internal road rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did some unscientific measuring with the Donnelly 40's that came with it on WTB Frequency i23 rims. The tires blow up to 41.3mm running tubeless on those rims. I was able to pass a 5.5mm Allen key around the front, but tight on the DS, but very clear everywhere else. I could only pass a 5mm in the rear at the DS chainstay. {edit} Height did not look to be an issue {/edit}

Going by Cervélo's 4mm recommendation; I would say depending on your rims, 700x42 would be the absolute max, but make sure it doesn't measure out more than 42~42.5mm.

I rode some local MTB single track on the Donnellys yesterday. They did well, I'd be curious to try some 650bx47s and see how they do.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

wwgraveled

by wwgraveled

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:14 am
What is the widest 700c rim/tire you guys would run on the Aspero?

Still haven’t bought new rims yet. I have a 25.5mm, 33.5mm, 360g MTB rim already. Don’t know if I should buy another to match, or go with something entirely different. Really plumps up a 38mm Gravel King slick, and makes it most 5mm taller than the same tire on a 23mm internal road rim.

I'm running 700x43 Panaracer Gravel King SK tubeless on 22mm internal carbon rims, I don't think you can run anything too much bigger.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

To add to the replies above, my 38mm GravelKing slicks inflate to 40.2mm wide on ENVE 4.5ARs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:33 pm
To add to the replies above, my 38mm GravelKing slicks inflate to 40.2mm wide on ENVE 4.5ARs.
My Compass Barlow Pass 38mm also inflate to 40.1mm in Enve 45AR

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Anyone have BB bearing issues? Only put 120mi on mine and the BB bearing disintegrated on me. Drive side crank moved in to the point that I got a nice gouge in the paint of the chainstay before I realized what hapened. Thankfully it wasn't deep enough to hit the carbon.

Shop knocked the bearings out of the cups and put in some Enduros free of charge, but I'm curious as to if this is something anyone on here has ever experienced.

I did have a Rotor 3D24 on it using Wheels press in adapters, but I've never heard of those causing this kind of failure.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

IrrelevantD wrote:Anyone have BB bearing issues? Only put 120mi on mine and the BB bearing disintegrated on me. Drive side crank moved in to the point that I got a nice gouge in the paint of the chainstay before I realized what hapened. Thankfully it wasn't deep enough to hit the carbon.

Shop knocked the bearings out of the cups and put in some Enduros free of charge, but I'm curious as to if this is something anyone on here has ever experienced.

I did have a Rotor 3D24 on it using Wheels press in adapters, but I've never heard of those causing this kind of failure.
Perhaps not your issue but it’s the first thing I thought of after reading your post - https://youtu.be/GWDztuezn0g

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:55 am
IrrelevantD wrote:Anyone have BB bearing issues? Only put 120mi on mine and the BB bearing disintegrated on me. Drive side crank moved in to the point that I got a nice gouge in the paint of the chainstay before I realized what hapened. Thankfully it wasn't deep enough to hit the carbon.

Perhaps not your issue but it’s the first thing I thought of after reading your post - https://youtu.be/GWDztuezn0g

That's a hell of a video at over 45 min. I skipped through bits and pieces, especially liked the bit about premature bearing failure. Though I think what he's getting at is tollerances in the Shell itself. As the Aspero comes with a thread together BB, it wouldn't be that. My guess would be crap bearings or something hit the crank in a way that it damaged them or some compatibility issue with the 24mm adapter.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

IrrelevantD wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:

That's a hell of a video at over 45 min. I skipped through bits and pieces, especially liked the bit about premature bearing failure. Though I think what he's getting at is tollerances in the Shell itself. As the Aspero comes with a thread together BB, it wouldn't be that. My guess would be crap bearings or something hit the crank in a way that it damaged them or some compatibility issue with the 24mm adapter.
Parallel misalignment can affect a threaded BB and I’m not saying that this is the issue you’re having however it is a possibility.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 am
IrrelevantD wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:

Parallel misalignment can affect a threaded BB and I’m not saying that this is the issue you’re having however it is a possibility.

I suppose it's possible the bearing was misaligned in the cups. When the shop tried to press in the new bearings in the cups with the BB removed he had trouble getting one in properly and suggested it might go in better if it was installed in the frame. I hadn't considered the possibility that the bearings were not aligned in the cups. That absolutely could have caused the failure I experienced.

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Hi, I'm pretty set on ordering an Aspero, will go for an Apex 1 model in the olive colour. Will be stripping the group set and bars/stem/seatpost, planning to transfer the Quarq dZero from my genesis with a 42t Sram nw ring and fit a 10-42 cassette with an XT Di2 rear mech paired to my existing 9170 shifters and brakes.

I'm after a little advice regarding sizing, this is going to be an n=1 build as while I do have a couple of gravel events lined up next year id estimate my road to gravel ratio around 80:20.

I'm torn between sizes, in order to replicate the fit of my current bike on the 56 with 15mm of spacers under the stem a 100mm stem would give me a reach (at the bars) 5mm shorter than current with stack within 1mm, a 110 stem would be 5mm longer reach. On a 58 with a 90mm stem slammed I'd have 7mm more stack and 2mm shorter reach.

I'm leaning towards the 56 possibly with both lengths of stem and swapping to the shorter stem for gravel focused events. Another (possibly perceived) benefit of the smaller frame being greater compliance from another couple of centimetres of exposed seatpost.

Feel free to verify or critique my conclusion, I'll be ordering tomorrow (Black Friday deal at a local online dealer brings the apex build to within a few pounds of the frame only price!)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ go small.. 56. If I went big I would have not been able to run my wireless dropper .. never thought I would want a dropper but its so welcome now. Then again it's not N=1

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Well, N=1 drop bar bike at least!

I'm fairly certain that the 56 is the way to go, but it's a fair chunk of money to commit even with the discount, so I'm questioning every bit of the decision!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

My take on sizing is to go for the 58 and not worry so much about the handlebar reach.

I have a 56cm Izalco Max that’s lower and longer than my 56cm Áspero but I find myself enjoying the more relaxed fit of the shorter and taller Áspero in the winter.. like a vacation

Last edited by VTR1000SP2 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

LeMomo wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 pm
Well, N=1 drop bar bike at least!

I'm fairly certain that the 56 is the way to go, but it's a fair chunk of money to commit even with the discount, so I'm questioning every bit of the decision!
What is your current bike? I'm in a similar situation. I just bought my Aspero (54) and I use it primarilly road, with some gravel and singletrack. My previous road bike was a 56 Specialized Allez Sprint and I was able to near exactly replicate my position between the two using the same stem. I threw a 5mm spacer under the stem for off road activities, but I'm very hapy I didn't go with the 56.

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Placed my order for the 56cm this morning. Looking forward to NBD now!

by Weenie