New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Js2

by Js2

G23 or 3.4 AR ?? The 3.4 is wider internally and externally. I am thinking G27 w fat 650b for mixed/trail heavy use and compliment it with the 3.4 AR for mixed / Road use.

by Weenie

LegPower

by LegPower

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:37 am
G23- check great wheels ..love mine
XG1195--- I would have went for 1199.. I not sure the 1195 large cog is replacable.. I know my 1199 is and that large cog wears out fast if you use it.. it's pretty soft Al.
FSA post... before I switched to a dropper, I was using a Darimo, thing was 78g
Thanks! The 1195 and 1199 are nearly identical, it's just the coating that's different. I've used them both and both have the same wear and construction. Personally, I went for the 1195 becuse it's black and I think that looks cooler 8)

I chose the FSA because it was rated to have a good amount of complaince in a relatively lightweight package. I'll check ou tthe Darimo!

LegPower

by LegPower

Js2 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:32 am
G23 or 3.4 AR ?? The 3.4 is wider internally and externally. I am thinking G27 w fat 650b for mixed/trail heavy use and compliment it with the 3.4 AR for mixed / Road use.
I called Enve and talked to them for about 20 min about this very topic. They said the 3.4 really doesn't have any aero benefit when the tires are greater than 32mm so I'd be buying them just for the look. The G23 are lighter and more compliant so he recommended going that route.

It's prob worth noting that I've got a second set of wheels - DT Swiss XMC 27.5. They came in at 1360g for the pair. The only bummer with the Aspero is that I needed to go with 48mm tires instead of the 2.1" Thunder Burts I had on there before.

LegPower

by LegPower

I should also note if anyone is interested that I've got a brand new (still in box) Aspero Apex 1 (Burgundy in size 54cm) that I'll be selling. I was going to build it with AXS to compare with Di2 but changed my mind. PM me if interested.

Js2

by Js2

Sweet, thanks for the info Legpower :thumbup:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Finally had some time to put this together. Still waiting for my wheels to ship so this is a borrowed set for now. This pic was taken before my first test around the neighbourhood to adjust hoods and since then, I’ve wrapped the bars in black tape. Might experiment with a different saddle and bar-tape colour in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

Beautiful! You will need to let us know how it rides both on the road and on the trails.

Dazed2day

by Dazed2day

Took my Aspero out for its first proper gravel ride... well, a little gravel. Rode 7.4 miles and a lot of steep climbing through town to get to the trail. Then found the trail was all climbing too! All told it was 1700 feet of climbing in 9 miles and I just wasn't prepared mentally for that kind of effort today.

That said, in the time I was able to ride on gravel I found the Aspero to be much more compliant than many reviews would lead me to believe. I started the ride with 30lbs in the front and 40 in the rear because I knew I was going to be on tarmac to start. Then I left it that way for a while on gravel, which was much rougher than I was expecting too, and the bike was fine. I decided to let a good bit of air out in both tires and that definitely helped to make it feel super smooth... and I'm running tubes at the moment. I'm getting some 650B's as soon as Hunt sends them out so I expect with some 49mm tires it'll be even smoother. Once back on tarmac I pumped them back up and raced home.

On tarmac it's okay. Definitely not what I'd want to ride a century on, but it's fine for getting to the trails. That sounds bad but it mostly because I'm a long time roadie and there's just no comparison to my aero race bike... of course.

Also, I'm 5'11" with short legs - 32" inseam. Everyone was telling me to get the 56, but the geometry chart showed the 54 was almost spot on with my road bike, and I don't like being really stretched out (which is odd given that I have such a long torso). I got the 54 a,d am super happy with the fit. I do have a little toe overlap, but not so much as to prevent me from making a sharp turn if I need to. While this is a race oriented bike I wanted something more endurance fitted... so I have alllllll the spacers under my stem. And I love the fit. It's perfect for what I was going for.

Finally, shoutout to the stock saddle. That Prologo is super comfortable. I've tried all kinds of saddles and this is by far the most comfortable for me. I'm running a specialized Toupe on my road bike which is okay, but I may be getting another Prologo to replace it given how comfortable this thing is.

Shrike

by Shrike

@VTR Gorgeous. I think it's my favourite Cervelo now!

Anyone stuck or planning to stick some road tyres on it and do some distance riding?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Shrike wrote:@VTR Gorgeous. I think it's my favourite Cervelo now!

Anyone stuck or planning to stick some road tyres on it and do some distance riding?
This is actually what I’m going for. At the moment I have 38s on there and I wouldn’t want to try anything smaller than a 35 if these don’t work out. The gap around the tire from a smaller size would drive me nuts.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Shrike wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 pm
@VTR Gorgeous. I think it's my favourite Cervelo now!

I rode a 40 mile club ride on roads two weeks ago (and owe a report, I promised one) with almost-road tires, 35mm Donnelly (impressive). My setup is 2x, 46/30 and 11-32. The full bike is a relatively svelte 17.3 lbs with pedals, so overall it’s on the road end of a road to gravel spectrum. The ride included a 1 mile 8% climb.

Overall, the extra weight as compared to my very light a Tarmac road bike is noticeable for climbing, but manageable given the lower gearing. The ride was in warm conditions, 32C on the climb and up to 40C later, so that also affected performance. Overall, I’d say the bike is about 1.5 mph slower than the Tarmac all things held constant, and equally comfortable overall and much more compliant on tougher terrain (some road sections were very choppy). It’s well suited to a power riding style (I am of half Slovak descent, thus my avatar Sagan 😀) as it is stiff and sturdy.

This is after swapping my original ZTTO cassette for SRAM Red. Much more expensive but you get what you pay for. Force (or Ultegra) is much cheaper, but cassettes are where I try to shave weight and the weight difference is substantial.

So far I’ve only been on dirt or dirt-small rocks for about 5 miles. Quite enjoyable, and territory my Tarmac (as fine as it is) simply cannot touch even with 28mm tires.
Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 (6.39 kg), Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:04 pm
Finally had some time to put this together. Still waiting for my wheels to ship so this is a borrowed set for now. This pic was taken before my first test around the neighbourhood to adjust hoods and since then, I’ve wrapped the bars in black tape. Might experiment with a different saddle and bar-tape colour in the future.

oh man.. I change my mind on that green.. love it

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 pm

This is actually what I’m going for. At the moment I have 38s on there and I wouldn’t want to try anything smaller than a 35 if these don’t work out. The gap around the tire from a smaller size would drive me nuts.

it drives me nuts too... 35 or 38 is the way to go on 700c. I'm putting Compass BarlowPass on my Enve 4.5AR right now... sadly they are all black and not tan wall.

Js2

by Js2

:shock: that green and tan wall tires combo looks so sweeeeeeeeeeet!!! :thumbup:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

spdntrxi wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 pm

it drives me nuts too... 35 or 38 is the way to go on 700c. I'm putting Compass BarlowPass on my Enve 4.5AR right now... sadly they are all black and not tan wall.
I am selling my tan Compass 38s if you’re interested

by Weenie