Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

itapersita wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:45 pm
lightspeedylight wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 pm
itapersita wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:53 pm
lightspeedylight wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:35 pm

Hi there. I sent an email to INPEAK. No reply yet.
When? I did the same yesterday ☺️
Yes, Yesterday, too. Considering Stages if I don't get reply.

They replied, this was my question:
Temat: Info for Sram Red AXS carbon and Cervelo Aspero frame
Treść wiadomości:
Hi, I am interested in the product but I would like to know if the PM will fit the frame, considering that the crankset is a Sram Red AXS ETAP Carbon DUB and the frame is a Cervelo Aspero. The procedure to check is similar to the one of the Stages PM? (https://support.stagescycling.com/en/su ... -clearance)
Also, I would like to know if it is possible for the PM to detach from the crankset (I suppose you use some sort of adhesive to attach it). It is possible that the crankset will be affected in terms of wear or similar from the procedure? How long is the guarantee of the product? Thanks
That's their reply:
Hello,

Generally you need 8 mm clearance -> https://help.inpeak.pl/en/knowledge-bas ... n-my-bike/ in case of doubts don't hesitate to send us photos of your case.

Crank set won't be any way affected by our device, we don't ingerate into its structure. It is also almost impossible to detach it, it would have to be a serious crash. I can also assure you that in case of any problems we are here to help you and for sure we will cover all the possible problems with the guarantee that last for 2 years. However, after this time we still try to be customer-friendly and always find a satisfying solution. But as I've written above, these are very few occasions that something really hapeens with our devices.

Best regards,

Michał Polanin
I did my check using a AAA battery that is a little over 10mm in diameter/thickness

Mark25702

by Mark25702

Looking to up grade crankset, anyone try Ethirteen's gravel crankset? I like Easton's EC 90 sl but seems to have mixed reviews. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Yatzki

by Yatzki

Mark25702 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:03 am
Looking to up grade crankset, anyone try Ethirteen's gravel crankset? I like Easton's EC 90 sl but seems to have mixed reviews. Any suggestions?
EC90 SL is nice crankset but bonding of the pedal threads failed on mine after 2000km. Bought used and it has only 2 year warranty.
e13 looks better with its 5 year warranty but it has 155.3mm q factor instead of 149 or 151 mm (easton or grx)

xplaza

by xplaza

Has anyone tried fitting a mtb double crankset? Can the fd go low enough?

xplaza

by xplaza

xplaza wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 pm
Has anyone tried fitting a mtb double crankset? Can the fd go low enough?
Answering my own question: it won't. Here are a couple pics with the fd set up for a 46/30, just a few mm left of adjustment.

Image Image

Mark25702

by Mark25702

Anyone happen to know the seat collar size of the 2022 Espero?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Mark25702 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:53 am
Anyone happen to know the seat collar size of the 2022 Espero?
Unless Cervelo changed it for the '22, it's propriatary. The seatpost is a regular 27.2, but the back side of the clamp is flat, not round.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jakesnakes77

by jakesnakes77

Brooks123 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:26 pm
Greetings! Another sizing question.

I’m 186 cm (6'1) and currently ride 2020 Trek Madone 58 cm with stock Bontrager 7 degree 100 mm stem. The bike has been fitted and the sizing / position feels perfect to me.

LBS currently has a very good offering on the only remaining 2020 Aspero in size 56 with GRX 2x, Easton cranks and EA50 90 mm stem.

Stack, reach, top tube length and other metrics appear to be very close between 58 Madone and 56 Aspero: https://99spokes.com/en-EU/compare?bike ... 58cm|w.700

Although the overall feel during the test ride was good, I’m not entirely convinced that 56 cm is the right size for me. Since no 58 cm frame with the same set up and pricing is available, would you recommend to go with the purchase? If so, should I replace 90 mm stem with a 100 mm stem on Aspero to replicate the stem length of Madone, or will it affect the handling? I’ve read that Aspero on purpose has slightly longer top tube and shorter stem.

Also, if I make the purchase, would you recommend to replace the Easton cranks? I’ve read that there are some compatibility issues between Easton cranks and GRX front derailleur: “To better accommodate wider tires for gravel riding we’ve pushed the chainline out 2.5mm. This means that the GRX double cranks and GRX front derailleur must be paired together.” (https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... -calipers/)
Not sure if you got the 56, but I also ride a 58cm Madone and the Aspero 56cm is spot-on

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I've skimmed through a lot of this thread. There is a lot of concern about gearing, and I finally figured I could make do with an Aspero as long as I go with SRAM AXS. I'm really thinking 46/33 10-28 would be the ticket. After purchasing the bike though, it may take me awhile to save up the funds for a FD, cassette, and chainrings. It will be going on an Aspero5 Force XPLR built. I'm thinking about running it with a 44t 10-44 for a bit as that would be an easy swap. I was also thinking since I have a 5x110 Quarq on one of my other bikes I could use it, and buy an oval 44t if it might work as I like oval chainrings. I assume it might throw the chainline off a bit as well. I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with such a setup? Something like is done here, but only on an Aspero. From Absolute Black's website: "Chainring has 1.5mm offset towards frame for perfect chainline."

cerro

by cerro

Should work better on a Aspero than that roadframe as it works better with longer chainstays. Chainline is the same on that R5(?) as on an Aspero

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

cerro wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:00 pm
Should work better on a Aspero than that roadframe as it works better with longer chainstays. Chainline is the same on that R5(?) as on an Aspero
The problem is the chainstays are spaced wider for tire clearance posing a problem for chainring clearance.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:27 am
I've skimmed through a lot of this thread. There is a lot of concern about gearing, and I finally figured I could make do with an Aspero as long as I go with SRAM AXS. I'm really thinking 46/33 10-28 would be the ticket. After purchasing the bike though, it may take me awhile to save up the funds for a FD, cassette, and chainrings. It will be going on an Aspero5 Force XPLR built. I'm thinking about running it with a 44t 10-44 for a bit as that would be an easy swap. I was also thinking since I have a 5x110 Quarq on one of my other bikes I could use it, and buy an oval 44t if it might work as I like oval chainrings. I assume it might throw the chainline off a bit as well. I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with such a setup? Something like is done here, but only on an Aspero. From Absolute Black's website: "Chainring has 1.5mm offset towards frame for perfect chainline."

If you're going to do an Aspero5 and want to go 2x, dont get an XPLR built bike. SRAM says you can't run 2x with it.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 2x-system-

My guess would be that the RD cage doesn't have the wrap to be able to acomodate multiple front chainrings (not long enough). If you want to go with SRAM, might be best to build up from the frameset, or plan on selling the RD and buying road group parts. Would be fine with a 10/28 cassette, but you'd be limited on how big of a cassette you could go with.

Unless you're married to the lime color, or the internal routing, I'd say that going with the non-5 GRX Di2 might be a better option. Yes, it's slightly heavier, and it doesn't have the neat internal routing (if you want to use different bars/stem, it's a bit of a PITA anyway), but it does save you $1500 that can be put into upgrades and I really doubt you'd notice the difference between the 46/10 and 48/11 gear combinations. Other things to consider is that 12x SRAM road groups use propriatary chains, and you're going to be stuck with finding XG or XGR cassettes, which are also much more expensive than Shimano based options.

The other question, regarding Oval rings brings up the question of frame clearance. In general, the clearance for oval rings needs to be about 2-3T more than the number of teeth on the ring. So for a 1x 44t ring, the frame clearance would need to be for at least a 1x 46t round ring. I believe we have some people on the Aspero Enthusiasts Facebook group who have run them, but the clearance is EXTREMELY tight. If you ever get chainsuck with that setup, you will definately have damaged paint down to the carbon. As someone who runs 50/34 on my Aspero, I'm painfully aware of the concequences of tight chainring clearances and chain mishaps.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I'm not too worried about swapping RD's. I'd really like to like it as a 1x, but I am skeptical. I have also tested it as a 2x deraileur, and I've tested a Wide FD with non-wide everything else, and it worked fine contrary to offical word from SRAM.

I actually don't like the Lime color. The one I am doing is the boring black one. Paint is heavy, and this is WW afterall, plus I have a really boring personality if I am to be honest. Black fits me. Internal cable routing is a must for me. Being a 2016 Venge ViAS owner, I would rather never see cables/hoses again. I don't care if it is harder to work on. I also really prefer SRAM.

I think I am just going to play it safe, and do a round 44t for now, and upgrade to 2x later if I still feel like I need to.

edfungus

by edfungus

Feel like people here would like this :)

The Aspero is an awesome bike but I do wish it had some sort of downtube storage or the like. So this holiday I made a carbon fiber box that sits right under the water bottle mount. Has a boa dial for closure. Can fit a fair bit of things like CO2+inflater, tools, chain tool and dynaplugs 8)

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

Wow, great job! One of the nicer home brew solutions I've seen. I'm not completely sold on downtube storage compartments, my wife's Domane has one, the latch is trouble prone, and it appears to add a lot of weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com