Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

Hi! As covid will hopefully more or less disappear sooner or later, travelling will be getting more and more interesting again.

Due to the integrated brake hose but still separated bar and stem of the Aspero 5, I'm asking myself whether an Aspero 5 can be fit into a normal bike bag (e.g. Evoc) to take it on an airplane or whether the brake hoses are too short to be able to accomodate the bar into the foreseen position in the bike bag.

I'm aware of this oversized bike bags where the whole stem handlebar combination will fit inside without disassembling, which would be not prefereably in my point of view as these bags are first incredible expensive and secondly extremely big that it gets difficult to find a car where they will still fit in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lapointe

by lapointe

Hi all, any suggestions on headset bearings?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Those that have 700c 40mm tires (operating pressure), was wondering if you can swipe a 4mm hex key (the long part) between the tire and the chainstay. If it works what is the biggest hex key you fit thru there?

Also, does this bike have drive side chainstay closer to the tire than non-drive side?

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

PoorCyclist wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:50 am
Those that have 700c 40mm tires (operating pressure), was wondering if you can swipe a 4mm hex key (the long part) between the tire and the chainstay. If it works what is the biggest hex key you fit thru there?

Also, does this bike have drive side chainstay closer to the tire than non-drive side?
Well, I've got a 700C tire in there right now that's 45mm wide as measured and I can get a 4mm key on the drive side chainstay, it's tight but I can slide it through. So should be more than 6mm with 40mm wide. The drive side chainstay is indeed closer, it's the tightest clearance on the bike, there's slightly more clearance on the non-drive side and more clearance elsewhere.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

^^ Thanks that's a good reference point. So it is pretty good clearance on the chainstay.

Can you tell me how much space you have between tire and seattube with the 45mm tires? I saw some pictures on this thread that look like it has space to clear some mud but some doesn't, for example like the picture on the first page, a little sticky mud will jam and damage the frame pretty quickly.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

PoorCyclist wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 pm
^^ Thanks that's a good reference point. So it is pretty good clearance on the chainstay.

Can you tell me how much space you have between tire and seattube with the 45mm tires? I saw some pictures on this thread that look like it has space to clear some mud but some doesn't, for example like the picture on the first page, a little sticky mud will jam and damage the frame pretty quickly.
A bit tricky to measure since the cutout is concave. If I slide a key straight across and ignore the concavity a 5mm key will fit. If I follow the curvature it's a bit over 6mm. Of course the actual height of the tire will depend on the width of the rim, these tires are mounted on a rather wide rim with 26mm internal width, which makes the tire wider but slightly less tall.

Tavinski

by Tavinski

JoeByrne1 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:10 am
Hi there,

First-time poster here. I've just bought a 61 2022 Aspero Apex 1 here in the UK (the black colour) and am yet to pick it up. I'm intending to swap out the groupset for GRX 810. A little unclear on the right bottom bracket when switching from SRAM to Shimano on a Cervelo - but based on reading through this thread I've gone for this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels ... acket/FKMM

Does anyone know if it will do the job (preferably well?)

I'll be using the bike 80% road 20% gravel and swapping wheelsets as my 'one bike to do it all'. Does anyone that use the Aspero for road cycling find that the reach is about right on the stock stem? I think I'll need to go longer but deciding by how much (for reference I run a 140mm stem on a Felt VR5 which has a 14mm shorter reach than the Aspero) but not sure if I'll split the difference given I'll be using this for gravel.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give!
Are you able to measure the max saddle height for your bike? I have a 61cm Aspero on order and I am trying to figure out if it is going to fit me. Trying to get an 825mm saddle height. Also, did you end up getting a longer stem? I am 6'6 so trying to figure out what is going to work for me.

Yatzki

by Yatzki

lapointe wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:42 pm
Hi all, any suggestions on headset bearings?
cane creek hellbender

jcreem

by jcreem

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm
LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:49 pm
Well, in this case, it’s not an end cap that gets swapped out. It’s a Delrin bushing that gets pressed into each side of the axle. So the current axle outer diameter won’t change. Just the inner.
Gotcha. I don't know that i'd trust a plastic bushing. I've seen someone recomend an alloy through axle adapter such as this. I've concidered picking one up just to try it. For $15, might be worth a shot.
Resurrecting this discussion - has anyone tried using a 15x100 hub with the 12mm reducer sleeve (vs modular endcaps) on their Cervelo Aspero fork? I just bought a 2021 Aspero with stock 700c wheels. I have a pair of older 15x100/12x142 27.5 mtb wheels and I am considering the sleeve option. I know the sleeve is pretty inexpensive, but I would also need to pick up an XDR driver (for my my Force AXS build). Thanks in advance.

Tavinski

by Tavinski

Does anyone with a 61cm frame have any experience using 650b wheels on their Aspero? I am wondering what the ride is like with the smaller wheel diameter with the larger frame. I understand the flip-chip makes a bit of a small difference but I am wondering what the clearance is like when running smaller wheels.

I am looking to run 700c wheels for road rides and fast gravel but was thinking of getting some 650's with chunkier tires for riding the rough/wet stuff in the PNW.

itapersita

by itapersita

I am thinking to install the Inpeak PM (https://inpeak.pl/en/products/) on my SRAM Red DUB crank set. Does anyone of you know the clearance between the crankset and the frame? The PM is similar to Stages and 4iii. Thanks

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

itapersita wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:15 am
I am thinking to install the Inpeak PM (https://inpeak.pl/en/products/) on my SRAM Red DUB crank set. Does anyone of you know the clearance between the crankset and the frame? The PM is similar to Stages and 4iii. Thanks
Hi there. I sent an email to INPEAK. No reply yet.

itapersita

by itapersita

lightspeedylight wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:35 pm
itapersita wrote:
When? I did the same yesterday ☺️

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

itapersita wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:53 pm
lightspeedylight wrote:
itapersita wrote:
Yes, Yesterday, too. Considering Stages if I don't get reply.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itapersita

by itapersita

lightspeedylight wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 pm
itapersita wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:53 pm
lightspeedylight wrote:
itapersita wrote:
Yes, Yesterday, too. Considering Stages if I don't get reply.

They replied, this was my question:
Temat: Info for Sram Red AXS carbon and Cervelo Aspero frame
Treść wiadomości:
Hi, I am interested in the product but I would like to know if the PM will fit the frame, considering that the crankset is a Sram Red AXS ETAP Carbon DUB and the frame is a Cervelo Aspero. The procedure to check is similar to the one of the Stages PM? (https://support.stagescycling.com/en/su ... -clearance)
Also, I would like to know if it is possible for the PM to detach from the crankset (I suppose you use some sort of adhesive to attach it). It is possible that the crankset will be affected in terms of wear or similar from the procedure? How long is the guarantee of the product? Thanks
That's their reply:
Hello,

Generally you need 8 mm clearance -> https://help.inpeak.pl/en/knowledge-bas ... n-my-bike/ in case of doubts don't hesitate to send us photos of your case.

Crank set won't be any way affected by our device, we don't ingerate into its structure. It is also almost impossible to detach it, it would have to be a serious crash. I can also assure you that in case of any problems we are here to help you and for sure we will cover all the possible problems with the guarantee that last for 2 years. However, after this time we still try to be customer-friendly and always find a satisfying solution. But as I've written above, these are very few occasions that something really hapeens with our devices.

Best regards,

Michał Polanin