Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stueys

by Stueys

bespoke wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:47 pm
maquisard wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm
Interesting statistic in the CyclingTips article on Aspero-5 - "As of March 2021, the Aspero, along with the fresh do-it-all Caledonia, made up approximately 60% of Cervelo’s global sales, a staggering fact given the company continues to be a leader in the triathlon world and is best known as a performance road brand."
That is interesting; probably skewed for cervelo given the Tri market where they are so strong has been hammered, and the R5 is now very long in the tooth.

I am sure Spez and Trek are more 'balanced' in sales per genre
But its clear gravel/all road is here to stay...
Agreed, think this is more a reflection that most of the current roadbikes are due a refresh

maquisard

by maquisard

The R-series and R5 are old because the demand is not there - it is catch 22.

The new R5 is already being ridden in testing by TJV. So it will launch for Tour de France I guess. It is same integrated cockpit as Caledonia-5,Aspero-5. Thankfully it does not have dropped seatstays.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Apparently I'm getting Aspero Apex 1 on monday. Do you guys have any bb/cassette recommendations?

Stock 11-42t with 40t chainring might be good on gravel, but I hate those 2 teeth jumps on a road. So maybe 11-36t? I had ordered 11-30t for 2x GRX version but that might be too much with the 40t :)

https://www.starbike.com/en/wheels-manu ... nks-black/

Was there a cheaper Sram bb that fits bbright or is that worth the extra money?

morganb

by morganb

What is the biggest 650B tire people have been able to fit? Are there any small mountain bike tires that will fit even if a little larger than stated clearance?

compasserror

by compasserror

morganb wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:34 pm
What is the biggest 650B tire people have been able to fit? Are there any small mountain bike tires that will fit even if a little larger than stated clearance?
I'm using the stock 48mm tires on non-stock 25mm I.W. wheels and there's about 5mm of clearance in front and back, I dont know if I would go any larger personally

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:34 pm
I currently have a mullet wheelset with a 27.5x2.0" Continental Race King on the rear (XC race tire). I have it on a 30mm internal rim and it just barely clears 4mm to the NDS chainstay. I think it's a hair more room on the DS. I am rebuilding the Easton rear wheel that came with it with a 650b Easton ARC 25 offset (25mm internal) rim as my main mullet wheelset. My hope is that it will buy me a little more clearance, I'm not going to try to fit a bigger tire.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

timcrssn

by timcrssn

Hi Weight Weenies,

I might have seen this bottom bracket issue somewhere, but I could not find it (large forum).

Yesterday, my grx600 crankarm fell off suddenly. The ridges on the spindle were completely round. Yes, it is a non-hollow-tech (softer) crank than the grx800, but still, the bike is 2.5 months old.

Then, I saw that the underside of the bottom bracket was partially worn away. I never heard any scratching nor felt any resistance.

Your thoughts?
https://flic.kr/p/2kUvKV8
https://flic.kr/p/2kUojNB
https://flic.kr/p/2kUtkCd
https://flic.kr/p/2kUtkBG

Thanks,
Tim
Last edited by timcrssn on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

You need to push the axle through from the drive side and attach the crank and tighten. It is easy to do but if you are uncertain bring it to the bike store.

tomee

by tomee

So after sorting out my hanger I managed to fit an 11-36 cassette on grx 2 x setup. No issues so far

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

sigma

by sigma

tomee wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:14 am
So after sorting out my hanger I managed to fit an 11-36 cassette on grx 2 x setup. No issues so far

I am running 10X42 with a Rotor Aldhu 2X with the wider offset up front on GRX di2. No issues. Different bike though - Factor LS.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

tomee

by tomee

sigma wrote:
tomee wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:14 am

I am running 10X42 with a Rotor Aldhu 2X with the wider offset up front on GRX di2. No issues. Different bike though - Factor LS.
Interesting. Got photos of the rear setup?

sigma

by sigma

Yep I will snap a few tomorrow in the daylight and post them up. Took it for a good run today and it's shifting super smooth. Just going to reprogram the Di2 to make sure I never inadvertently end up Big Big but I tested it on the flats and it ran fine.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

tomee

by tomee

nice thanks.
im still yet to figure out how to make di2 not switch to big - big.
It does stop 2 short when in the little ring and was hoping it could do the same the opposite way.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

timcrssn wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:17 am
Hi Weight Weenies,

I might have seen this bottom bracket issue somewhere, but I could not find it (large forum).

Yesterday, my grx600 crankarm fell off suddenly. The ridges on the spindle were completely round. Yes, it is a non-hollow-tech (softer) crank than the grx800, but still, the bike is 2.5 months old.

Then, I saw that the underside of the bottom bracket was partially worn away. I never heard any scratching nor felt any resistance.

Your thoughts?
https://flic.kr/p/2kUvKV8
https://flic.kr/p/2kUojNB
https://flic.kr/p/2kUtkCd
https://flic.kr/p/2kUtkBG

Thanks,
Tim
So the first thing that comes to my mind is that the preload adjuster wasn't tightened and the bolts on the crankarm weren't properly torqued down. The end cap is for pre-load only, so that won't keep the crankarm on, but even with 1/2 the splines engaged when properly torqued. The other issue, the rub on the arm/shell; in all of the photos with the spindle installed, there is no dust cover. If that wasn't installed, there may have been lateral play that allowed the crank arm to rub. Were there any spacers on the DS side of the spindle? Similar question on the DS dust cover.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

tomee wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 am
nice thanks.
im still yet to figure out how to make di2 not switch to big - big.
It does stop 2 short when in the little ring and was hoping it could do the same the opposite way.
I think the only way to do it is to setup synchro shifting. As I recall, that will automatically switch between the big ring and the small ring at a cog of your choosing. I tried that, and semi-synchro very briefly, didn't like it.

I'm honestly not terribly concerned about big-big aside from the possibility of a dropped chain if backpedaling. I think the additional wear issue is over-hyped unless you spend a LOT of time in the big-big, and if that's the case, you probably need a smaller big ring. But that's just me.

{edit} I suppose if you're running a total tooth difference greater than the capacity of the RD, that could be an issue {/edit}