Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rolfo

by rolfo

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:01 pm
rolfo wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:43 am
gSporco wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:38 pm
rolfo wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 pm
HI,

I'm in the market for a gravelbike and love the Cervelo R3. So the Aspero would be my first choise (and it looks great ;-).

Now I see some reviews the Aspero a bit on the harsh side and nervous side. So my seccond choice would be the Santa Cruz Stigmata, which looks like its family, but a bit softer and les nervous.

What's your view and experience on its comfort?

Rolf
The Aspero, is a Gravel "Race" bike that shares nearly identical geometry to the R5; however the Aspero has more reach per size as its designed to run a shorter stem.

The Aspero is stiff and fast, but no more or less harsh than any other carbon race bike. Its built up a bit firmer to take the abuse off-road, but with a Carbon seatpost and tires 32mm-42mm it rides really smooth. The only reviews, I have read/watched that claim its a bit stiff are those who tested the bike with an alloy seatpost.. IMHO, running alloy seatpost on any bike other than a MTB is going to be more harsh when compared to a quality Carbon Seatpost.

The Stigmata and nearly every other Gravel bike out there has a tall stack and slacker head angle.. The Aspero is in a league of its own.. If you want racy, aggressive geometry then the Aspero is for you, if you want what all others are doing (slacker, taller, longer) then you have your pick of the litter with a sea of gravel bikes with that type of Geo.

Visit bikeinsights.com to visualy compare geometry of all the bikes you are interested.. You can see for yourself, if you compare the R5 and the ASpero in the same size, what I am talking about.
Thanks ;-)
I'll second just about everything gSporco said. Swapping out for a carbon seatpost helps, I actually ran a FSA SL-K for about a year and resently switched to a Specialized CG-R, and that just takes it a step further. Carbon bars will help as well, and good carbon wheels and proper tire choice will make any complaints of the frame being too firm or stiff practically nil. I semi-regularly take my Aspero on singletrack MTB trails and have no issue with the ride quality.

As said above, it all depends on what you want. If you want a really cushy almost MTB-like ride straight out of the box... the Aspero likely won't be the bike for you. If you want what will basically be an R5 for dirt... you came to the right place.
Seems a bit too racy for me, looking for a more mtb oriented gravelbike. Maybe like Santa cruz Stigmata..

gSporco

by gSporco

rolfo wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 am
Seems a bit too racy for me, looking for a more mtb oriented gravelbike. Maybe like Santa cruz Stigmata..
Yes, any negative press received during the Aspero reviews are basically because its one of the raciest gravel bikes out there..

One thing, as the ASpero isnt for everyone.. If you do not have a road bike the Aspero makes for an excellent N=1 bike.. If you do have a road bike and want more of an adventure style gravel bike then yes, the ASpero is probably to racy..

I was originally under the mindset that the ASpero would be the 1 bike to rule them all for me.. Dual use on Road and Gravel.. However, just like everyone warned me.. Cyclist just can stop buying and tinkering.. So now I have 3 bikes.. A Salsa TImberjack MTB, ASpero and currently building up a pure racing bike (3T Strada Due)

I am really excited to see how the Strada and the Aspero perform with the same road wheelset.. I am almost positive, once the honey moon phase with teh Strada is over, that they will perform very similar on the road.. If I was more skilled, maybe I would detect the Aero advantage of the Strada, but I doubt it..

Ill test it over my favorite Strava segments to compare
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

gSporco wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:23 pm
rolfo wrote:
Yes, any negative press received during the Aspero reviews are basically because its one of the raciest gravel bikes out there..

One thing, as the ASpero isnt for everyone.. If you do not have a road bike the Aspero makes for an excellent N=1 bike.. If you do have a road bike and want more of an adventure style gravel bike then yes, the ASpero is probably to racy..

I was originally under the mindset that the ASpero would be the 1 bike to rule them all for me.. Dual use on Road and Gravel.. However, just like everyone warned me.. Cyclist just can stop buying and tinkering.. So now I have 3 bikes.. A Salsa TImberjack MTB, ASpero and currently building up a pure racing bike (3T Strada Due)

I am really excited to see how the Strada and the Aspero perform with the same road wheelset.. I am almost positive, once the honey moon phase with teh Strada is over, that they will perform very similar on the road.. If I was more skilled, maybe I would detect the Aero advantage of the Strada, but I doubt it..

When I got my Aspero, I actually sold both my road and CX bikes and went N=1. I found it that good [with multiple sets of wheels]. This freed me up garage space to buy a MTB about 4-5 months later and going N=2 as I quickly got to the point where I was riding trails where I was worried about damaging my Aspero.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

rolfo

by rolfo

gSporco wrote:
rolfo wrote:

I have a Specialized fsr Stumpjumper ST carbon (120/130) for Mtb and a Canyon Ultimate SLX for roadbiking. I want to keep them both :-) So the "gravel" bike should fit between them and not lean too much to the Canyon.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

rolfo wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:04 pm
gSporco wrote:
rolfo wrote:

I have a Specialized fsr Stumpjumper ST carbon (120/130) for Mtb and a Canyon Ultimate SLX for roadbiking. I want to keep them both :-) So the "gravel" bike should fit between them and not lean too much to the Canyon.
Aspero actually works really well as a full rigid MTB if you get a good mullet wheelset. I run a 650Bx47 Senduro rear and a 700x40 Nano front (both WTB) and it works really well on trails and really rough gravel. I have two bikes, my Aspero for everything from full on TT bars and slicks (acutally, I love TT bars on gravel as well), to somewhere between easy and moderate singletrack. I just have multiple wheels. What drives me to pull out my MTB is more the fear of frame/fork damage than ability to ride the trail.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

lapointe

by lapointe

Hello,
I had been planning to strip the apex 1 group off the bike immediately, but it actually works much better than i thought, so want to keep it for a while (as i'm doing hardly any road on it). But the bottom bracket is absolutely terrible, has seized twice in six months. Does anyone have any suggestion on an upgrade gxp BB, possibly gravel/cyclocross oriented?

lapointe

by lapointe

Hello,
I had been planning to strip the apex 1 group off the bike immediately, but it actually works much better than i thought, so want to keep it for a while (as i'm doing hardly any road on it). But the bottom bracket is absolutely terrible, has seized twice in six months. Does anyone have any suggestion on an upgrade gxp BB, possibly gravel/cyclocross oriented?

gSporco

by gSporco

lapointe wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Hello,
Tons of options out there that work very well: From cheapest to most expensive: Sram GXP Pressfit, Wheels Threadfit, BBinfinte ABEC7, BBininite Ceramic, Kogel, Ceramic Speed, CBear..

Or since its really just crappy bearings, you can just pop them out and relace them with good ones for under $50
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

lapointe

by lapointe

I think ths sram gxp is what the bike comes with. Is it just a question of crappy bearings? ceramicspeed told me they don't really recommend their gxp for cyclocross/gravel. Kogel and cbear seem to have specific seals for cyclocross which sounds promising. is it worth it or should i just change the bearings?

kervelo

by kervelo

lapointe wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:36 am
I think ths sram gxp is what the bike comes with. Is it just a question of crappy bearings? ceramicspeed told me they don't really recommend their gxp for cyclocross/gravel. Kogel and cbear seem to have specific seals for cyclocross which sounds promising. is it worth it or should i just change the bearings?
The original BB of my Aspero Apex was not a SRAM product, it was a Cervelo branded one. I have no idea of the quality, however, because I replaced it with a SRAM dub version almost immediately.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

lapointe wrote:Hello,
My bb was on my Apex build was crap too. Replaced it with the wheels manufacturing bb but winter here now so just got a couple of rides on it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

tomee

by tomee

can anyone tell me if the plastic cover under the BB is able to be completely removed?
am planning to run Di2 and removed the cover with the hex screw and see that its a cable guide underneath. Is this just a clip?

gSporco

by gSporco

tomee wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:01 am
can anyone tell me if the plastic cover under the BB is able to be completely removed?
am planning to run Di2 and removed the cover with the hex screw and see that its a cable guide underneath. Is this just a clip?
Yes its 2 parts, the door is locked with the hex screw and attaches to the base piece that snaps intonthe frame opening. I would not leave it open though; are you just trying to access the space to run di2?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

tomee

by tomee

gSporco wrote:
tomee wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:01 am
Yes its 2 parts, the door is locked with the hex screw and attaches to the base piece that snaps intonthe frame opening. I would not leave it open though; are you just trying to access the space to run di2?
Yeah just for access while I run cabling then I'll put it all back

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rolfo

by rolfo

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:07 pm
rolfo wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:04 pm
gSporco wrote:
rolfo wrote:

Aspero actually works really well as a full rigid MTB if you get a good mullet wheelset. I run a 650Bx47 Senduro rear and a 700x40 Nano front (both WTB) and it works really well on trails and really rough gravel. I have two bikes, my Aspero for everything from full on TT bars and slicks (acutally, I love TT bars on gravel as well), to somewhere between easy and moderate singletrack. I just have multiple wheels. What drives me to pull out my MTB is more the fear of frame/fork damage than ability to ride the trail.
Thanks for the tip!