Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rasyad

by rasyad

Yokozuma was new to me on this build so I can't compare. With only one ride and a 10mminute descent I don't have much information. First impressions are good though. Fit and finish is great, no noise so far so good.

Rasyad

Stendhal

by Stendhal

rasyad wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:20 am
I generally like to get over the top of the pedals with my short legs so it is a matter of fit. That and I already had the post in my pile of parts. As I fine tune I may move back, we will see.

Just got back from my first ride (quick road ride) and am totally stoked, best bike, ever.

Rasyad
So stoked for this bike, thank you for the update. I went to school in Berkeley and still live in the Bay Area, maybe we’ll cross paths. Now if Cervelo would only stock the teal. It is available online at Competitive Cyclist, which is a true slap in the face to Cervelo’s loyal LBS base.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Stendhal wrote:
rasyad wrote:
I generally like to get over the top of the pedals with my short legs so it is a matter of fit. That and I already had the post in my pile of parts. As I fine tune I may move back, we will see.

Just got back from my first ride (quick road ride) and am totally stoked, best bike, ever.

Rasyad
So stoked for this bike, thank you for the update. I went to school in Berkeley and still live in the Bay Area, maybe we’ll cross paths. Now if Cervelo would only stock the teal. It is available online at Competitive Cyclist, which is a true slap in the face to Cervelo’s loyal LBS base.
My LBS told me that I’ll have my Teal frameset in 2 weeks. I’m very tempted to go for the Apex 1 build in either the olive or burgundy instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Stendhal

by Stendhal

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:58 pm
Stendhal wrote:
rasyad wrote:

Rasyad
My LBS told me that I’ll have my Teal frameset in 2 weeks. I’m very tempted to go for the Apex 1 build in either the olive or burgundy instead.

The economics of the full build are compelling and I’d do that if I had not already purchased the components of a 2x setup I plan to run.

Judging by Rasyad’s component list, my build will be sub 17 lbs. Most notably, I am using 35 mm tires, which are much lighter. I’ll work out the math tonight on my build because it’s fun to do so.
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sub 17... nice.

Between my redshift stem and a dropper.. I have no chance
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Stendhal

by Stendhal

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:39 pm
sub 17... nice.

Between my redshift stem and a dropper.. I have no chance
Additional information on the prospective Cervelo weight -- I checked out the Ibis Hakka that has been built already (the one I may switch to the Cervelo). All the components will be the same except for the seatpost (Cervelo adds 20g), thru axles (Cervelo adds about 30g), stem (Cervelo -10g), bottom bracket (Cervelo -20g). The Ibis weighed between 16 lb 13 oz and 17 lbs flat on three weighings, and with the steerer tube uncut. Again, this is w/ 35mm wheels, not a full 40mm

The Ibis looked great ... I may just keep it and use a 50 - 34 crankset.

rasyad

by rasyad

Stating the obvious the Aspero and Hakka are very different bikes in terms of purpose, geometry and fit. I went with the Aspero because there are only two road feel focased gravel bikes out there, the TTT Exploro and the Aspero. And of course the Aspero has an ideal fit for me so it was a no brainer. What are you looking for in an all road bike?

Rasyad

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Breaking news: I test rode the Aspero again at another official Cervelo demo day, and Alan from Cervelo said the teal frame will be available AUGUST 28.

This ride was on the hilly Stevens Canyon Drive in Cupertino, with 4 to 6% short ups and downs. Also, I had a more reasonable 20mm of spacers. The Aspero’s power transfer and racing characteristics were more evident than on my ride last week on flatter trails and 38 mm spacers.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

rasyad wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:24 pm
Stating the obvious the Aspero and Hakka are very different bikes in terms of purpose, geometry and fit. I went with the Aspero because there are only two road feel focased gravel bikes out there, the TTT Exploro and the Aspero. And of course the Aspero has an ideal fit for me so it was a no brainer. What are you looking for in an all road bike?

Rasyad
Hi Rasyad. Admittedly with just a short test on the Hakka, I found the geometries very similar. (The quoted stack is the same, and while the Aspero has a longer quoted reach I did not perceive much difference.)

Going in, I wanted a bike like the Hakka. Now, I think I’d ride the Cervelo more; it has the power transfer needed to avoid becoming boring. And while Cervelo markets it as “haul ass not cargo,” of course you could carry cargo; that’s what frame packs and velcro are for :)

rasyad

by rasyad

Post 4th road ride thoughts. I am currently 260lbs (working on it, down from 300 and will be skin and bones at 220) so consider the size factor with my feedback. I just turned 64 and have been riding since racing in high school. My other bike is a made in USA Cannondale Super Six with the top spec frame that I ran with tubulars for several years, then clenchers most recently. I will be retiring the Super Six (son wants it) as I don't see any need for it. Stendhal is right about the power transfer. The Aspero is a lively rocket when you stand on it. Even with 48mm tires the bike falls side to side nicely when standing and just wants to be pushed. I have the fork "trail mixer" set in the forward position for minimum trail / faster handling.

Speaking of tires, the Rene Herse Switchback Hill tires were a bit of a trial to get sealed up. The sidewalls were full of pinholes. I used 1" gorrilla tape for the rim strip, silicone adheasive under the valve stem, and Stans Race formula sealent. It took a few days of fussing about, shaking, riding, resting the wheels on their sides etc. before they would hold pressure overnight. Part of the problem was the bead streching as the tires broke in. Brand new the tires were hard to get on, now they slip on and off easily and still have a solid pop into the rims upon inflation. I will carry tubes as spares. Good now and totally worth it from a ride feel perspective. The ride is truly magic and tunable from lively to the point of bouncy at 50 psi to all day comfort at 40 psi to 4 wheel drive at 30 psi. Lighter folks will have different numbers.

My other experiment was with the cable actuated, hydraulic Yokozuna brakes. The frame and fork is set up for 160mm flat mount calipers. On the rear I used a centerlock XTR 160 rear rotor with the Yokozuna Motoko flat mount 2-piston caliper. Everything bolted up fine as expected. Note that the Yokozuna housing is really stiff and needed to be hand formed to get it out of the frame and into the caliper. I ran the housing lever to brake, same with the shifter. Tech note: I cut the length of provided foam insulation in half and used it over the brake and shifter housing about 8 inches each side of the BB. No internal housing rattle / noise noted so far. On the front I used Yokozuna's new Ultima post mount 4-piston caliper with a 180mm XTR centerlock rotor. To do this I had to design and fab a custom adaptor bracket. I design in Solid Works and have a bridgeport mill in the basement so no big deal. As to brake performance, oh my, could not be happier. 1 or 2 fingers on the hoods depending on the terrain and 1 finger from the drops provides all the stopping power and feel I could ever want. Again note I am a big guy with very good decent skills and know how to brake at the limit. With the ridiculous level of traction from the baloon tires the braking power and the fantastic handling of the frame this bike blows away anything I have ever been on. Really it feels like the safety margin is an order of magnitude better. I am certain that a normal size person would be fine with the 2-piston / 160mm setup in the front.

Time to hit the trails......

Rasyad

Stendhal

by Stendhal

My LBS reported today that Cervelo is ahead of schedule and may start shipping teal frames as early as Monday, highly likely by Wednesday the 13th. Ordered! :beerchug:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Rasyad, great to read your thoughts on the bike. I am looking forward to riding mine, when it arrives and I am able to put it together.

Stendhal, that’s awesome! I’ll post up a pic when mine arrives.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

rasyad

by rasyad

Woo Hoo on 2 new bikes coming....really curious what others think about the bike handeling. What wheels and tires do you guys plan on running? With really stiff frames and compliant tires the Aspero seems to have the best of both worlds, firm, responsive, and plush.....

VTR...what color did you go with?

Rasyad

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

rasyad wrote:Woo Hoo on 2 new bikes coming....really curious what others think about the bike handeling. What wheels and tires do you guys plan on running? With really stiff frames and compliant tires the Aspero seems to have the best of both worlds, firm, responsive, and plush.....

VTR...what color did you go with?

Rasyad
Went for the Teal, ordered it on the day the model was released but am still waiting for mine to arrive. I am currently trying to figure out the wheel situation and am looking at mid depth wider carbon tubeless but for now I have a set of custom built Stans Crest MK3 27.5” wheels.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rasyad

by rasyad

I feel your pain. Good news there are options, bad news there are options. Warning random thoughts to follow.....I like the idea of one allroad, quiver killer bike but is this idea even valid if one has two wheelsets? Why not just keep the road bike (assuuming we all have one, of course) and there is no way the Aspero will match a real MTB, cross country or downhill and if one has these other bikes then why have two wheelsets?

My resolution was based on the riding I actually do. Here in the SF Bay area we have a ton of great road riding, and many large parks with fire roads and trails, all really crowded with people and horses. For me, 27.5 makes sence as does a more road focased tire because I like combination rides and love the way the baloon tires ride. I climb up on the roads then meander down throrgh the trails, then back around the flats on the road to home. I am sure I woud have other ideas if I lived somewhere else.

Rasyad