Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sigma

by sigma

tomee wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 am
nice thanks.
im still yet to figure out how to make di2 not switch to big - big.
It does stop 2 short when in the little ring and was hoping it could do the same the opposite way.
I posted a couple photos of the bike and the rear setup here. Took it for a proper ride - no issues with the drive train at all. Have to say i am a fan of GRX di2. Now just need to get some bar tape on the bike :)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... FsbmhxT1pn
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Ponch

by Ponch

Hey, I am into buying an Aspero Bike and despite not haveing a dealer near me to try different sizes I need to buy online.
I am 184/185cm with around 88cm inseam. Which size do you recommend me? 56 or 58?
I am not sure. I will mostly use it on bad roads and fireroads. Not too much heavy terrain. Therefor I have my MTB. :-)
Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Ponch wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:11 pm
Hey, I am into buying an Aspero Bike and despite not haveing a dealer near me to try different sizes I need to buy online.
I am 184/185cm with around 88cm inseam. Which size do you recommend me? 56 or 58?
I am not sure. I will mostly use it on bad roads and fireroads. Not too much heavy terrain. Therefor I have my MTB. :-)
Thank you!
If you have a bike with a known good fit, and you want to get as close as possible, you could go to 99spokes.com or a similar site and compare geometries. That's what I did. I knew that I wanted to get as close as possible to my size 56 Specialized Allez Sprint... for me, that was a 54 Aspero. The difference is a handful of mm in both stack and reach. Stack and reach are the most important aspects of the frame size. If you get those close enough, you can adjust with stem height and reach. If you are right on the line between two sizes, my personal feeling is to err on the side of the smaller frame and go with a slightly longer stem and more spacers. That being said... you don't want to go too small and run into toe overlap issues, or end up with too long of a stem if you spend a lot of time off pavement.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Yep, stack and reach are the important measurements, you seem to have pretty long legs so if you've arms to match you'll likley be landing in 58 territory unless you've a crappy old back like mine that refuses to bend anymore
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

So I’m thinking about picking up a Aspero. I’m roughly 174cm tall and currently I’m riding a small size Cannondale Topstone Carbon with about 35mm of spacers and a 100mm stem. My saddle height is roughly 650mm with a 25mm setback post.

Looking at the stack and reach of the Aspero I kind of sit between a 51 and a 54. I plan on using this as my main ride so I want to be comfortable on the road and gravel. I’m not really looking to hit up any crazy mountain bike trails or anything like that. I want something racier than the Topstone Carbon.

Any advice on sizing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gSporco

by gSporco

Relientk1202 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:41 pm
So I’m thinking about picking up a Aspero. I’m roughly 174cm tall and currently I’m riding a small size Cannondale Topstone Carbon with about 35mm of spacers and a 100mm stem. My saddle height is roughly 650mm with a 25mm setback post.

Looking at the stack and reach of the Aspero I kind of sit between a 51 and a 54. I plan on using this as my main ride so I want to be comfortable on the road and gravel. I’m not really looking to hit up any crazy mountain bike trails or anything like that. I want something racier than the Topstone Carbon.

Any advice on sizing?

Based on your saddle height and your height of 174mm, I feel you may be in the short leg long torso category.. So pay attention to the reach on the Aspero.. Its racier than the Topstone and other bike.. So a 54cm may stretch you out to much.. Im 172cm with 71cm saddle height on a 51cm Aspero.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

TTRV

by TTRV

Relientk1202 wrote:

Any advice on sizing?

Give me the angle of your stem and the reach of your handlebars and I'll give you the exact measurement to replicate your position from the Cannondale on the Aspero (or even a bit racier if you prefer). I created an excel spreadsheet that takes into account much more information than stack and reach to be sure to select the right size. Seattube angle and handlebar reach are widely disregarded for instance, while they can change your position by a few centimeters!

In the 35mm of spacers, did you also take into account the headset cap?

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

TTRV wrote:
Relientk1202 wrote:

Any advice on sizing?

Give me the angle of your stem and the reach of your handlebars and I'll give you the exact measurement to replicate your position from the Cannondale on the Aspero (or even a bit racier if you prefer). I created an excel spreadsheet that takes into account much more information than stack and reach to be sure to select the right size. Seattube angle and handlebar reach are widely disregarded for instance, while they can change your position by a few centimers!

In the 35mm of spacers, did you also take into account the headset cap?
Sweet! My stem angle is -6 and the reach of the bars is 80mm. And yes the top cap is 25mm and I’ve got a 10mm spacer above it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTRV

by TTRV

So to replicate your position on a 54 Aspero you would need a 100mm, 7°angle stem (stock Easton ones come with this angle) with 32mm of spacers (10mm headset cap + 22mm) and a 20mm offseatpost. That sounds good.
However, with your saddle height you would only have about 7cm of exposed seatpost (+/- 1-2cm depending on the stack of your saddle), which is not ideal to flex enough to absorb vibrations.

On a 51 Aspero, you would need a 120mm, 7°angle stem with 50mm of spacers (that's the maximum you can do: 10mm headset cap + 40mm) with a 20mm offset seatpost. That's a lot of spacers, but on this one you'd have 10cm of exposed seatpost (+/- 1-2 cm) which is still not amazing but better.

As you can see, choosing a size is not straightforward at all, there's a 20mm difference in stem length while the reach of the frame is only dropping by 9mm from size 54 to size 51!

So, if you don't mind the spacers, I would go for a 51 Aspero without any hesitation. And you could gradually experience a racier position by lowering the stem.
Just take into account that every 10mm spacer that you remove will add 3mm of reach. So if you end up removing 30mm of spacers you'd have to switch to a 110mm stem.

I hope it was clear enough and not needlessly complicated :mrgreen:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TTRV wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm
So to replicate your position on a 54 Aspero you would need a 100mm, 7°angle stem (stock Easton ones come with this angle) with 32mm of spacers (10mm headset cap + 22mm) and a 20mm offseatpost. That sounds good.
However, with your saddle height you would only have about 7cm of exposed seatpost (+/- 1-2cm depending on the stack of your saddle), which is not ideal to flex enough to absorb vibrations.
Stock stem on the 54 is 90mm. At least it was when I got mine back in 2019.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TTRV

by TTRV

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 pm
Yeah true, and it's 80mm on the 51. But maybe his LBS can swap it for him and put the same stem in another size.

If not, a 6° angle would be even better.

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

TTRV wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 pm
Yeah true, and it's 80mm on the 51. But maybe his LBS can swap it for him and put the same stem in another size.

If not, a 6° angle would be even better.
I’d definitely switch it out if needed. Part of my issue with the Topstone Carbon is the total lack of room in the front triangle for a 1/4-1/2 bag if you wanna carry bottles. Being in Arizona bottles are critical. All that being said, the 54 is interesting because it would definitely fit a frame bag and bottles. But I don’t want to be on too big of frame either.

TTRV

by TTRV

Well I'd say a 54 frame would definitely be a tough ride for you with almost no seatpost exposed. But you'd have more space for a bag for sure, which you would not get on a 51 frame (still a bit more than your Cannondale).

You have an interesting position though. Quite a long reach compared to your saddle height which is relatively short for a 174cm guy. I'm 177cm tall and I ride a 51 Aspero with a saddle height of 723mm and a 110mm stem.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Not sure if I've had my first encounter with Cervelo's build quality or just scared assembling new bike :? My front brake caliper threads are so tight I'm worried to tighten them. Upper one goes about 5mm in with torx key and fingertip strength. Has anyone else had this problem? Apex 1 brakes with torx screws.

Edit: Got it deep enough by tightening it with torque wrench (2nm) and loosening several times. Still not smooth, would be pain if switching between wheelsets. Now I need to get Apex brakes and RT-MT900 rotors to play nice together. Maybe I need to release some brake fluid when centering the calipers?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

rawjunk wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 am
Not sure if I've had my first encounter with Cervelo's build quality or just scared assembling new bike :? My front brake caliper threads are so tight I'm worried to tighten them. Upper one goes about 5mm in with torx key and fingertip strength. Has anyone else had this problem? Apex 1 brakes with torx screws.

Edit: Got it deep enough by tightening it with torque wrench (2nm) and loosening several times. Still not smooth, would be pain if switching between wheelsets. Now I need to get Apex brakes and RT-MT900 rotors to play nice together. Maybe I need to release some brake fluid when centering the calipers?
Been a while since I removed my calipers, but as I recall, it felt a little snug, but not really tight. If I had to guess, maybe 1.5~2nm of torque to thread it in. I want to say there may be some thread lock on the bolts, which may be what you're feeling, but again, it's been a while. As for wheel changes, I have 4 wheelsets for my Aspero, I rarely have to re-adjust my calipers. 99% of the time the rotors are close enough that a couple hard squeezes will get the pistons to center well enough that it's not an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com