Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

itapersita wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:21 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:45 pm
itapersita wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:30 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:05 pm

On my Aspero, running Sram AXS, using Red AXS 1x, the largest I am able to get is 44t..
Damn... I was sure I could go with a 46t. I saw people going with a compact 50-34, why this? I have the same crankset of yours, SRAM red dub but I am waiting for other components of the transmission.
I guess you could make it work, but you will need a few spacers and then your chain angle for the big cogs will be even sharper.. So basically you will have a better chain angle on the fast gears and a crappier chain angle on the climbing gears.

With my Sram 44T with the Quarq PM DuB spider I have .5mm clearance, if I flex it enough Ill get the Chainring rubbing my protective tape on the outer chainstay.

Honestly I didn't know this, I have my excel file with the calculation in order to understand the gear ratio I have to use and I came out with a 46 and 10-36, since I mostly go on road and I wanted my bike to look similar to my canyon ultimate. But I guess it doesn't change too much between a 44 and a 46. The alternative is to go 2x
If you are keeping your road bike then may I suggest you consider gearing the Aspero that leans more towards gravel climbing... on my road rides I have no issues climbing 13% tarmac on 42/36t cog. But on the same grade on gravel I would be slipping way to much and prefer at least a 1-1 ratio.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

itapersita

by itapersita

gSporco wrote:
itapersita wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:21 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:45 pm
itapersita wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:30 pm
Damn... I was sure I could go with a 46t. I saw people going with a compact 50-34, why this? I have the same crankset of yours, SRAM red dub but I am waiting for other components of the transmission.
I guess you could make it work, but you will need a few spacers and then your chain angle for the big cogs will be even sharper.. So basically you will have a better chain angle on the fast gears and a crappier chain angle on the climbing gears.

With my Sram 44T with the Quarq PM DuB spider I have .5mm clearance, if I flex it enough Ill get the Chainring rubbing my protective tape on the outer chainstay.

Honestly I didn't know this, I have my excel file with the calculation in order to understand the gear ratio I have to use and I came out with a 46 and 10-36, since I mostly go on road and I wanted my bike to look similar to my canyon ultimate. But I guess it doesn't change too much between a 44 and a 46. The alternative is to go 2x
If you are keeping your road bike then may I suggest you consider gearing the Aspero that leans more towards gravel climbing... on my road rides I have no issues climbing 13% tarmac on 42/36t cog. But on the same grade on gravel I would be slipping way to much and prefer at least a 1-1 ratio.
Is that I am investing a considerable budget on this bike because I want it to be my do it all bike. The only thing now is to wait for the other components and try with the 44T. From the numbers it doesn't change to much, I don't know .. for sure I will keep my road bike for the moment.

Inviato dal mio Mi A3 utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Js2

by Js2

I agree with Gsporco, depending on what kind of terrain you ride 1-1 might be fine. But if you do a big long day (5-7 hours), easier gearing will save you.

I'm using GRX 2x 48/31 11-34 and i find that I use 31-34 a lot where I can't just power to get over the climbs but have to sit and smoothly apply power. But your terrain will dictate most of the gearing choices.

itapersita

by itapersita

Js2 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:51 pm
I agree with Gsporco, depending on what kind of terrain you ride 1-1 might be fine. But if you do a big long day (5-7 hours), easier gearing will save you.

I'm using GRX 2x 48/31 11-34 and i find that I use 31-34 a lot where I can't just power to get over the climbs but have to sit and smoothly apply power. But your terrain will dictate most of the gearing choices.
Thanks. It that usually I see that I ride hard gears and low rpm, but probably I will change my ride style. In any case, the good thing is that I can always ride a 2x and problem solved.

@gsporco: you mentioned spacers in order to fit a 46T but also you said that your 44T is 0.5 mm from frame, why didn't you use a spacer? I guess it's better to put at least one.

Since I have to buy the power meter I see that the quarq made for SRAM Etap (the 107bcd https://www.bike-discount.de/it/comprar ... der-883312) is more expensive that the one with 110bcd (https://www.bike-discount.de/it/comprar ... der-884688). Can I use the one with 110bcd both with 1x and 2x then? The PM are basically the same.

itapersita

by itapersita

BTW, in the FB group someone say that he manage to put a 46T chainring: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3791174 ... nt_mention

gSporco

by gSporco

itapersita wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:19 am
Js2 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:51 pm

Thanks. It that usually I see that I ride hard gears and low rpm, but probably I will change my ride style. In any case, the good thing is that I can always ride a 2x and problem solved.

@gsporco: you mentioned spacers in order to fit a 46T but also you said that your 44T is 0.5 mm from frame, why didn't you use a spacer? I guess it's better to put at least one.

Since I have to buy the power meter I see that the quarq made for SRAM Etap (the 107bcd https://www.bike-discount.de/it/comprar ... der-883312) is more expensive that the one with 110bcd (https://www.bike-discount.de/it/comprar ... der-884688). Can I use the one with 110bcd both with 1x and 2x then? The PM are basically the same.
I didnt pit a spacer because I want to maintain a chain line in the center of the cassette. I mostly climb when I ride so I am always in the 36-15 cogs.

As for someone fitting a 46t, anything is possible, again it all depends how comfortable you are deviating from a centered chain line.

For the PM, I love the new Quarq Dub PM, I mainly stick with OEM parts for optimal performance so I am mot concerned with having chainring choices from other brands.

Thw 110BCD will work, but you will have limited aftermarket only Chain rings, also the chain line is slightly different on the 110BCD spider

Personally I would gonwith the Quarq DUB or get a set of PM pedals
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kervelo

by kervelo

The mentioned 0.5 mm clearance sounds scary: the chainring is almost touching the frame. :shock:

0.5 mm is 0.019685 in.

gSporco

by gSporco

kervelo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:02 pm
The mentioned 0.5 mm clearance sounds scary: the chainring is almost touching the frame. :shock:

0.5 mm is 0.019685 in.
Its sbout .5mm away from the .3mm protection tape on the chain stay :).
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

itapersita

by itapersita

zaykay wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am
itapersita wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm
itapersita wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:27 pm
Hi, I'm new here but I own a Aspero frame, bought it 2 months ago. Because of the shortage of components, the building is going slow. Yesterday I mounted the bb, I chosen a Token Ninja for DUB, since I also have Sram RED crank arms. That's it, I am waiting for the rest of the group set. I want to go for a 1x and see how it goes. I will ride this bike 85% on road and want it to be fast. Do you have any advice about the handlebar?

I was thinking about this one:

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/roa ... -handlebar
I've never used Pro bars, but it looks like a good comfortable bar. Looking at the specs, that's very close to my preferred bar, the Zipp SL-70 Aero. I like the Zipp Aero because the aero shape topps are a very comfortable platform for your hands if you wrap them with tape. It also has, at 70mm, a slightly shorter reach than most other bars. Most bars start at about 80mm, and it just feels a slight bit streached for me. It looks like the Pro would be very similar based on the specs and looks like the tops are somewhere between the Zipp Aero and Ergo in width. The range of sizes on the Pro is also interesting. Not many road bar manufactures go all the way out to 46mm. Personally, I don't like the wide flare of "gravel" bars, the 4º of the Zipps feel perfect though, and it looks like these are the same.

The only thing that concerns me is that the dimentions in the pic and the specs don't match up. The specs say it's a 68mm reach and 120mm drop, but the bar picture says 73mm reach and 130mm drop. This would make me concerned that the shape of the bar in the specs aren't the same as the picture in regards to the tops.

Thanks for reply. I don't like either the wide flare of gravel bars, that's why I was thinking about this PRO. Unfortunately the zipp io a Little above my budget for the handlebar that's why I did not take it into account. Also, since the Aspero will be my only bike, I have planned to buy these bars https://vapcycling.com/prodotto/butterf ... kepacking/ for bikepacking rides. The PRO looks like the only handlebar I have found to have the "aero" section but also a wide circular section in the middle to fit the butterfly vap bars.

Also the weight seems to be under the zipp. On the other hand the zipp is absolutely beautiful.

The problem is there are no shops to actually see the handlebar, I have to buy it on the internet and trust the pictures and the dimensions from the Pro site. I will look more into that, thanks for the hint.
I have this new Pro Ergo PLT carbon bar on my road bike and Zipp carbon SL 70 Ergo bar on my gravel bike. Out from these two I like Zipp more. Biggest issue with the Pro is the lever positioning relative to external cable routing. If you have gear cables Pro requires tilting the hood inwards for proper cable hose routing. Electronic shifting would allow wider range of positioning. Also depending from the width reach and drop varies on Pro. 36-38cm wide have 68mm reach and 120 drop. 40cm and wider have 73mm reach and 130mm drop. In general the shape of the top flat sections and cable/hose grooves on Pro Ergo PLT sets rather limited options for altering bar tilt and hoods.

In general Zipp SL-70 Ergo carbon is an excellent bar for gravel riding. Very versatile, stiff and reasonable light. Bend and shape is excellent and comfortable for gravel. Also since the Pro Ergo PLT requires full wrap due to external cable routing the difference on frontal area is rather small between these two. I doubt there's any aero benefit there to look after.
Just to let you know that I went for the Zipp bar after your advice! It should arrive here this week! Do you also have an advice for the STEM? :mrgreen: Thanks

RobJ

by RobJ

itapersita wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:

In general Zipp SL-70 Ergo carbon is an excellent bar for gravel riding. Very versatile, stiff and reasonable light. Bend and shape is excellent and comfortable for gravel. Also since the Pro Ergo PLT requires full wrap due to external cable routing the difference on frontal area is rather small between these two. I doubt there's any aero benefit there to look after.
Just to let you know that I went for the Zipp bar after your advice! It should arrive here this week! Do you also have an advice for the STEM? :mrgreen: Thanks
Bars and stem must always match!

I too have the SL-70 Ergo and it's paired with a Zipp Service Course SL stem. Nice subtle graphics and good weight.
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

itapersita

by itapersita

RobJ wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm
itapersita wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:

Bars and stem must always match!

I too have the SL-70 Ergo and it's paired with a Zipp Service Course SL stem. Nice subtle graphics and good weight.
I didn't know they must match :shock:

Btw I also was looking for the Zipp sl stem, it's that is a little bit pricey for the weight... But I agree with you, it's really nice stem, the graphics are beautiful

HaakanD

by HaakanD

I just got an Aspero to replace my Racemax. Looking to change the thru-axles to something lighter. What type of thru-axle do recommend?

New member but long time lurker.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

HaakanD wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:03 am
I just got an Aspero to replace my Racemax. Looking to change the thru-axles to something lighter. What type of thru-axle do recommend?

New member but long time lurker.
I ordered the J&L axles off ebay, I've had no problem with them and they saved about 60 grams over stock axles. Others seemed to have good luck as well with their stuff. Took a couple of weeks for them to be delivered.

jmh

by jmh

Does anyone have a picture of the grommet where the front derailluer exits the frame above the bottom bracket for a mechanical 2X set up?

I just got the frameset and looking through my small part bag and the only grommet in there looks like it if for the FD, looks very similar to the one on my S3 from a few years ago, but the cable exits the Aspero completely differently.

Not sure what it should end up looking like, and was hoping to see one with it already installed.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakanD

by HaakanD

jmh wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:39 pm
Does anyone have a picture of the grommet where the front derailluer exits the frame above the bottom bracket for a mechanical 2X set up?

I just got the frameset and looking through my small part bag and the only grommet in there looks like it if for the FD, looks very similar to the one on my S3 from a few years ago, but the cable exits the Aspero completely differently.

Not sure what it should end up looking like, and was hoping to see one with it already installed.

Thanks.
Didn't get one either but got one without hole from my local bikeshop that I just modded. Will rewire and with full lengt housing in near future.