Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kytyree

by kytyree

zett78 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:07 pm
how can i insert a photo??

I use the Tapatalk app for photos via my phone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hogesyx

by Hogesyx

Stueys wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:42 am
Hogesyx wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:21 am
Stueys wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm
Thinking of swapping out the GRX600 crank that came with my Aspero for a Rotor Aldhu gravel (probably with a P2M on it). I'm thinking that I might well put a BBinfinite in at the same time (which has always been a great solution in my other BBright bikes). Concious that the GRX chainline and Q factor are both wider, has anyone done this and hit any problems?
You can save money on the BB. Aspero BB is a solid carbon tube and not just a cutout. I am running rotor with the offset axle, no issue with Axs 12s rear.
Rotor with a 24mm axle?
Rotor has 3 different q factor afaik. 30mm standard being the narrowest at 147mm, followed by 24mm which is 148mm, the widest is the 30mm offset which is design for disc brake at 152mm.

lapointe

by lapointe

Has anyone tried the 40t garbaruk Easton cinch chainring? Am running mine with c-bear bb and it looks dangerously close to the chainstay. Looks great but I'm worried it might have too much offset

wheelie

by wheelie

Hi there!
Is this rd hanger correct for Aspero? Thanks!

https://www.cervelo.com/en/drh-wmn112-r ... ough-axels
2020 Cervelo Aspero Apex 1 Mid Olive/Dune ----> Burgundy/Dark Orange
2022 Scott Addict RC10

kervelo

by kervelo

The Aspero parts are listed in the manual on page 3:
https://www.cervelo.com/media/gene-cms/ ... igital.pdf

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

wheelie wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:36 am
Hi there!
Is this rd hanger correct for Aspero? Thanks!

https://www.cervelo.com/en/drh-wmn112-r ... ough-axels
Yes, that's the correct Cervelo part number for the Aspero rear derailleur hanger. If you want another option, Wheels Mfg makes one: https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-330.html

JoeByrne1

by JoeByrne1

Hi there,

First time poster here. I've just bought a 61 2022 Aspero Apex 1 here in the UK (the black colour) and am yet to pick it up. I'm intending to swap out the groupset for GRX 810. A little unclear on the right bottom bracket when switching from SRAM to Shimano on a Cervelo - but based on reading through this thread I've gone for this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels ... acket/FKMM

Does anyone know if it will do the job (preferably well?)

I'll be using the bike 80% road 20% gravel and swapping wheelsets as my 'one bike to do it all'. Does anyone that use the Aspero for road cycling find that the reach is about right on the stock stem? I think I'll need to go longer but deciding by how much (for reference I run a 140mm stem on a Felt VR5 which has a 14mm shorter reach than the Aspero) but not sure if I'll split the difference given I'll be using this for gravel.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give!

JoeByrne1

by JoeByrne1

Hi there,

First time poster here. I've just bought a 61 2022 Aspero Apex 1 here in the UK (the black colour) and am yet to pick it up. I'm intending to swap out the groupset for GRX 810. A little unclear on the right bottom bracket when switching from SRAM to Shimano on a Cervelo - but based on reading through this thread I've gone for this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels ... acket/FKMM

Does anyone know if it will do the job (preferably well?)

I'll be using the bike 80% road 20% gravel and swapping wheelsets as my 'one bike to do it all'. Does anyone that use the Aspero for road cycling find that the reach is about right on the stock stem? I think I'll need to go longer but deciding by how much (for reference I run a 140mm stem on a Felt VR5 which has a 14mm shorter reach than the Aspero) but not sure if I'll split the difference given I'll be using this for gravel.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give!

Brooks123

by Brooks123

Greetings! Another sizing question.

I’m 186 cm (6'1) and currently ride 2020 Trek Madone 58 cm with stock Bontrager 7 degree 100 mm stem. The bike has been fitted and the sizing / position feels perfect to me.

LBS currently has a very good offering on the only remaining 2020 Aspero in size 56 with GRX 2x, Easton cranks and EA50 90 mm stem.

Stack, reach, top tube length and other metrics appear to be very close between 58 Madone and 56 Aspero: https://99spokes.com/en-EU/compare?bike ... 58cm|w.700

Although the overall feel during the test ride was good, I’m not entirely convinced that 56 cm is the right size for me. Since no 58 cm frame with the same set up and pricing is available, would you recommend to go with the purchase? If so, should I replace 90 mm stem with a 100 mm stem on Aspero to replicate the stem length of Madone, or will it affect the handling? I’ve read that Aspero on purpose has slightly longer top tube and shorter stem.

Also, if I make the purchase, would you recommend to replace the Easton cranks? I’ve read that there are some compatibility issues between Easton cranks and GRX front derailleur: “To better accommodate wider tires for gravel riding we’ve pushed the chainline out 2.5mm. This means that the GRX double cranks and GRX front derailleur must be paired together.” (https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... -calipers/)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Brooks123 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:26 pm

I’m 186 cm (6'1) and currently ride 2020 Trek Madone 58 cm with stock Bontrager 7 degree 100 mm stem. The bike has been fitted and the sizing / position feels perfect to me.

LBS currently has a very good offering on the only remaining 2020 Aspero in size 56 with GRX 2x, Easton cranks and EA50 90 mm stem.

Stack, reach, top tube length and other metrics appear to be very close between 58 Madone and 56 Aspero: https://99spokes.com/en-EU/compare?bike ... 58cm|w.700

Although the overall feel during the test ride was good, I’m not entirely convinced that 56 cm is the right size for me. Since no 58 cm frame with the same set up and pricing is available, would you recommend to go with the purchase? If so, should I replace 90 mm stem with a 100 mm stem on Aspero to replicate the stem length of Madone, or will it affect the handling? I’ve read that Aspero on purpose has slightly longer top tube and shorter stem.

Also, if I make the purchase, would you recommend to replace the Easton cranks? I’ve read that there are some compatibility issues between Easton cranks and GRX front derailleur: “To better accommodate wider tires for gravel riding we’ve pushed the chainline out 2.5mm. This means that the GRX double cranks and GRX front derailleur must be paired together.” (https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... -calipers/)
I was professionally fitted on a 56 Specialized Allez Sprint (Very similar geo to Venge). When I went shopping for my Aspero, I went a size down with a 54 specifically because of the similarity in stack and reach to the Sprint. I just moved my stem [100mm], bars and saddle over to the Aspero and matched my fitted position.

Cervelo designed the Aspero to have a 10mm longer reach specifically so they could spec it with a 10mm shorter stem [90mm on most sizes]. The shorter stem will make it a little more nimble, but honestly, I don't think it'd be super noticable. I personally like the lower stack height of the smaller size and am fine with running a slightly longer stem. I also noticed that there are some other brands starting to follow suit with longer reach on their Gravel bike geometry, Specialized is one of them with the new CruX. It's really all about personal preference, maybe see if you can get a test ride with a 100mm stem on the 56, and even if it's not the same specs, ride a 58 to compare.

As for the chainline, it's really not that huge a deal. I didn't have any issues with the Easton, and I'm currently running a Quarq DFour with 50/34 rings. Clearance is tight, but if it's properly setup and you don't drop the chain, it'll be fine. Even if you do drop the chain, this thing has a really beafy frame and a thick coat of paint. I've scraped it all the way down to the carbon and it took it like a champ.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Yatzki

by Yatzki

lapointe wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:26 pm
Has anyone tried the 40t garbaruk Easton cinch chainring? Am running mine with c-bear bb and it looks dangerously close to the chainstay. Looks great but I'm worried it might have too much offset
I have 42t garbaruk easton cinch round chainring on my size 54 aspero with stock bb and there is like 2mm clearance.

Brooks123

by Brooks123

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:29 pm
Brooks123 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:26 pm

I was professionally fitted on a 56 Specialized Allez Sprint (Very similar geo to Venge). When I went shopping for my Aspero, I went a size down with a 54 specifically because of the similarity in stack and reach to the Sprint. I just moved my stem [100mm], bars and saddle over to the Aspero and matched my fitted position.

Cervelo designed the Aspero to have a 10mm longer reach specifically so they could spec it with a 10mm shorter stem [90mm on most sizes]. The shorter stem will make it a little more nimble, but honestly, I don't think it'd be super noticable. I personally like the lower stack height of the smaller size and am fine with running a slightly longer stem. I also noticed that there are some other brands starting to follow suit with longer reach on their Gravel bike geometry, Specialized is one of them with the new CruX. It's really all about personal preference, maybe see if you can get a test ride with a 100mm stem on the 56, and even if it's not the same specs, ride a 58 to compare.

As for the chainline, it's really not that huge a deal. I didn't have any issues with the Easton, and I'm currently running a Quarq DFour with 50/34 rings. Clearance is tight, but if it's properly setup and you don't drop the chain, it'll be fine. Even if you do drop the chain, this thing has a really beafy frame and a thick coat of paint. I've scraped it all the way down to the carbon and it took it like a champ.
Many thanks for the response. Unfortunately, LBS has only 56 Aspero and they are not willing to adjust the specs prior to the purchase. Although I'll probably go with 56, other comments and insights from 6'1/185+ cm riders riding 56 Aspero would be much appreciated.

lapointe

by lapointe

Yatzki wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:49 am
lapointe wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:26 pm
I have 42t garbaruk easton cinch round chainring on my size 54 aspero with stock bb and there is like 2mm clearance.
mine has a business card thickness clearance. I ended up adding a distancing ring for peace of mind

Brooks123

by Brooks123

Hi! Has anyone tried Restrap's vynl pack for paint proection? https://eu.restrap.com/products/bicycle-protection-kit

I'm particulary interested whether the kit can easily be removed after bikepacking trips without leaving any marks on the paint.

tomato

by tomato

Brooks123 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:45 pm
Many thanks for the response. Unfortunately, LBS has only 56 Aspero and they are not willing to adjust the specs prior to the purchase. Although I'll probably go with 56, other comments and insights from 6'1/185+ cm riders riding 56 Aspero would be much appreciated.
I'm 6' 0.5", and I ride an Aspero in a 58 with a 100 mm stem. I'm sure I could make a 56 work, but it wouldn't be ideal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com