Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

rawjunk wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 am
Not sure if I've had my first encounter with Cervelo's build quality or just scared assembling new bike :? My front brake caliper threads are so tight I'm worried to tighten them. Upper one goes about 5mm in with torx key and fingertip strength. Has anyone else had this problem? Apex 1 brakes with torx screws.

Edit: Got it deep enough by tightening it with torque wrench (2nm) and loosening several times. Still not smooth, would be pain if switching between wheelsets. Now I need to get Apex brakes and RT-MT900 rotors to play nice together. Maybe I need to release some brake fluid when centering the calipers?
It is very tight to thread. There is tons of thread locker in there since the screw are short. Just make sure you get them started nice and straight and get a good grip.

both Aspero frames I have worked on were tight.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

itapersita

by itapersita

Hi, I'm new here but I own a Aspero frame, bought it 2 months ago. Because of the shortage of components, the building is going slow. Yesterday I mounted the bb, I chosen a Token Ninja for DUB, since I also have Sram RED crank arms. That's it, I am waiting for the rest of the group set. I want to go for a 1x and see how it goes. I will ride this bike 85% on road and want it to be fast. Do you have any advice about the handlebar?

I was thinking about this one:

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/roa ... -handlebar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

itapersita wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:27 pm
Hi, I'm new here but I own a Aspero frame, bought it 2 months ago. Because of the shortage of components, the building is going slow. Yesterday I mounted the bb, I chosen a Token Ninja for DUB, since I also have Sram RED crank arms. That's it, I am waiting for the rest of the group set. I want to go for a 1x and see how it goes. I will ride this bike 85% on road and want it to be fast. Do you have any advice about the handlebar?

I've never used Pro bars, but it looks like a good comfortable bar. Looking at the specs, that's very close to my preferred bar, the Zipp SL-70 Aero. I like the Zipp Aero because the aero shape topps are a very comfortable platform for your hands if you wrap them with tape. It also has, at 70mm, a slightly shorter reach than most other bars. Most bars start at about 80mm, and it just feels a slight bit streached for me. It looks like the Pro would be very similar based on the specs and looks like the tops are somewhere between the Zipp Aero and Ergo in width. The range of sizes on the Pro is also interesting. Not many road bar manufactures go all the way out to 46mm. Personally, I don't like the wide flare of "gravel" bars, the 4º of the Zipps feel perfect though, and it looks like these are the same.

The only thing that concerns me is that the dimentions in the pic and the specs don't match up. The specs say it's a 68mm reach and 120mm drop, but the bar picture says 73mm reach and 130mm drop. This would make me concerned that the shape of the bar in the specs aren't the same as the picture in regards to the tops.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

itapersita

by itapersita

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm
itapersita wrote:

I've never used Pro bars, but it looks like a good comfortable bar. Looking at the specs, that's very close to my preferred bar, the Zipp SL-70 Aero. I like the Zipp Aero because the aero shape topps are a very comfortable platform for your hands if you wrap them with tape. It also has, at 70mm, a slightly shorter reach than most other bars. Most bars start at about 80mm, and it just feels a slight bit streached for me. It looks like the Pro would be very similar based on the specs and looks like the tops are somewhere between the Zipp Aero and Ergo in width. The range of sizes on the Pro is also interesting. Not many road bar manufactures go all the way out to 46mm. Personally, I don't like the wide flare of "gravel" bars, the 4º of the Zipps feel perfect though, and it looks like these are the same.

The only thing that concerns me is that the dimentions in the pic and the specs don't match up. The specs say it's a 68mm reach and 120mm drop, but the bar picture says 73mm reach and 130mm drop. This would make me concerned that the shape of the bar in the specs aren't the same as the picture in regards to the tops.

Thanks for reply. I don't like either the wide flare of gravel bars, that's why I was thinking about this PRO. Unfortunately the zipp io a Little above my budget for the handlebar that's why I did not take it into account. Also, since the Aspero will be my only bike, I have planned to buy these bars https://vapcycling.com/prodotto/butterf ... kepacking/ for bikepacking rides. The PRO looks like the only handlebar I have found to have the "aero" section but also a wide circular section in the middle to fit the butterfly vap bars.

Also the weight seems to be under the zipp. On the other hand the zipp is absolutely beautiful.

The problem is there are no shops to actually see the handlebar, I have to buy it on the internet and trust the pictures and the dimensions from the Pro site. I will look more into that, thanks for the hint.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

itapersita wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm
Thanks for reply. I don't like either the wide flare of gravel bars, that's why I was thinking about this PRO. Unfortunately the zipp io a Little above my budget for the handlebar that's why I did not take it into account. Also, since the Aspero will be my only bike, I have planned to buy these bars https://vapcycling.com/prodotto/butterf ... kepacking/ for bikepacking rides. The PRO looks like the only handlebar I have found to have the "aero" section but also a wide circular section in the middle to fit the butterfly vap bars.

Also the weight seems to be under the zipp. On the other hand the zipp is absolutely beautiful.

The problem is there are no shops to actually see the handlebar, I have to buy it on the internet and trust the pictures and the dimensions from the Pro site. I will look more into that, thanks for the hint.
Yea, clip on bars are definately a no-go with the Zipp Aeros. I think they will work with the Zipp Ergo, but the top isn't quite as wide. I had to create a custom solution to make a Specialized Venge aero bar work on mine (it's stem mounted). Good luck with finding them, hope it works out.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

itapersita

by itapersita

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm
itapersita wrote:

Yea, clip on bars are definately a no-go with the Zipp Aeros. I think they will work with the Zipp Ergo, but the top isn't quite as wide. I had to create a custom solution to make a Specialized Venge aero bar work on mine (it's stem mounted). Good luck with finding them, hope it works out.
Thanks. Can I ask you what is this "custom solution" yo've created?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

itapersita wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:36 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm
itapersita wrote:

Thanks. Can I ask you what is this "custom solution" yo've created?
Because the Venge aero bar is stem mounted, I had to find a stem that was a flat profile through the clamp area or get an actual Venge stem. I found that the ControlTech Cougar Aero stem would work, but the stem width and profile height was not enough for the clap that comes with the Venge stem. I ended up cutting a few inches of old tire, putting it between the clamp and the stem, and using some rollers from an old chain as spacers between the clamp and the bar where the bolts attach between the two. I then added a bit of Sugru around the rollers to keep them in place and make it look more normal. It came out pretty good and I do get a fair amount of compliments on the Aspero Facebook group.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Does anyone have a spare front derailleur mount (FDM-OEO) or have a source for one? Seems to be out of stock online.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Any power meter recommendations for Apex 1 build? My plan is to upgrade to 2x GRX di2 at some point, but I guess SRAM etap could be an option. Currently I'm thinking: buy NGeco Gravel Rotor power2max edition with 46/30 chainring set and switch them for 40/42t 104 bcd Garbaruk chainring for the time being. Not sure about potential chainline issues. Favero Assioma spd hack would be similar price but I'm a bit hesitant since their spd version must be around the corner :) I don't want single sided pm anymore.

kervelo

by kervelo

rawjunk wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm
Any power meter recommendations for Apex 1 build?
Quarq is nice. I am going to stay 1x in the future too, so I replaced the original Apex crankset with Quarq dzero, Quarq dub cranks and Force 1 chainring. They work great and are pretty light too.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

rawjunk wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm
Any power meter recommendations for Apex 1 build? My plan is to upgrade to 2x GRX di2 at some point, but I guess SRAM etap could be an option. Currently I'm thinking: buy NGeco Gravel Rotor power2max edition with 46/30 chainring set and switch them for 40/42t 104 bcd Garbaruk chainring for the time being. Not sure about potential chainline issues. Favero Assioma spd hack would be similar price but I'm a bit hesitant since their spd version must be around the corner :) I don't want single sided pm anymore.
I'm running Ultegra on mine with a Quarq DFour with a GXP crank. Would be the same bottom bracket as your Apex build. I don't know that Quarq has options for rings as small as 46/30 though. I'm running 50/34 on mine as it sees a lot of road use with 28mm tires. That being said, my personal opinion is that Cervelo uses really crappy bearings in their bikes, so I wouldn't have any issue with replacing the bottom bracket.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:25 pm
I'm running Ultegra on mine with a Quarq DFour with a GXP crank. Would be the same bottom bracket as your Apex build. I don't know that Quarq has options for rings as small as 46/30 though. I'm running 50/34 on mine as it sees a lot of road use with 28mm tires. That being said, my personal opinion is that Cervelo uses really crappy bearings in their bikes, so I wouldn't have any issue with replacing the bottom bracket.
I would like crank-based pm with short cranks but trying to get something "future-proof" might be too hard. Favero's would be nice but pedal choices are really limited atm.

I will change bb to something 24mm compatible/dub when current one craps out.

zaykay

by zaykay

itapersita wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:
itapersita wrote:

I have this new Pro Ergo PLT carbon bar on my road bike and Zipp carbon SL 70 Ergo bar on my gravel bike. Out from these two I like Zipp more. Biggest issue with the Pro is the lever positioning relative to external cable routing. If you have gear cables Pro requires tilting the hood inwards for proper cable hose routing. Electronic shifting would allow wider range of positioning. Also depending from the width reach and drop varies on Pro. 36-38cm wide have 68mm reach and 120 drop. 40cm and wider have 73mm reach and 130mm drop. In general the shape of the top flat sections and cable/hose grooves on Pro Ergo PLT sets rather limited options for altering bar tilt and hoods.

In general Zipp SL-70 Ergo carbon is an excellent bar for gravel riding. Very versatile, stiff and reasonable light. Bend and shape is excellent and comfortable for gravel. Also since the Pro Ergo PLT requires full wrap due to external cable routing the difference on frontal area is rather small between these two. I doubt there's any aero benefit there to look after.

itapersita

by itapersita

zaykay wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am
itapersita wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:
itapersita wrote:

I have this new Pro Ergo PLT carbon bar on my road bike and Zipp carbon SL 70 Ergo bar on my gravel bike. Out from these two I like Zipp more. Biggest issue with the Pro is the lever positioning relative to external cable routing. If you have gear cables Pro requires tilting the hood inwards for proper cable hose routing. Electronic shifting would allow wider range of positioning. Also depending from the width reach and drop varies on Pro. 36-38cm wide have 68mm reach and 120 drop. 40cm and wider have 73mm reach and 130mm drop. In general the shape of the top flat sections and cable/hose grooves on Pro Ergo PLT sets rather limited options for altering bar tilt and hoods.

In general Zipp SL-70 Ergo carbon is an excellent bar for gravel riding. Very versatile, stiff and reasonable light. Bend and shape is excellent and comfortable for gravel. Also since the Pro Ergo PLT requires full wrap due to external cable routing the difference on frontal area is rather small between these two. I doubt there's any aero benefit there to look after.

Thanks for the hint. It would be great if you could post some pictures since I couldn't find any on the internet of this handlebar actually mounted. I have (don't have year actually)a SRAM force Etap so there are no hear cables but there will be hose for the brakes, do they have the same tilting problems?

I'll give a look to the zipp also

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zaykay

by zaykay

Yes they do. If you want the hoods to point direct to forward the hoses will have sharp bends and they do not sit properly to their grooves below the bar. Bar tape will also have extra bumb next the hoods. Why I mentioned the gear cables is that they do not like sharp bends because of compromised shifting. This is with Shimano GRX levers, not sure how it would be with SRAM levers. I would not buy Pro Ergo PLT bar for gravel riding, even the flat tops are not proper for holding tight.