Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kanonengedonner

by kanonengedonner

So 1600 miles on the Aspero (1/5 gravel, 4/5 road) and the BB seized on me yesterday. I took the Shimano crank out and the drive side bearings were crunshy, badly. I cleaned it, applied ample grease and it is better. So Time for a new BB.
  • On a similar note, anyone made cervelo warranty their BBs?
Last edited by kanonengedonner on Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Colnago C60
-Cervélo Áspero

rawjunk

by rawjunk

I had those same Enduro bearings on my Praxis bb, different dust covers etc., they didn't last long. I saw some blog post where he couldn't use regular bb tool to tighten that(Edit: https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... acket.html). I hope thats not the case.

I think I just might replace the bearings of the original shell.

Btw. I'm guessing Cervelo uses same shell for GRX and Apex build? So I could change to 24x37x7mm bearings (+1mm spacer?) and put 24mm crank on?
Last edited by rawjunk on Mon May 10, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itapersita

by itapersita

kanonengedonner wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:21 pm
So 1600 miles on the Aspero (1/5 gravel, 4/5 road) and the BB seized on me yesterday. I took the Shimano crank out and the drive side bearings were crunshy, badly. I cleaned it, applied ample grease and it is better. So Time for a new BB.
I have mounted a Token ninja, similar to the wheelsmfg. Unfortunately I could not ride it yet

kervelo

by kervelo

kanonengedonner wrote:
I would always check the C-bear options first.
https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bbright-cervelo

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

kanonengedonner wrote:
I'm back to using a Wheels MFG shell after switching back to GXP from 30mm. I'm a huge fan of the Wheels shells, but not so much of the Enduro bearings that they put in them. I have replaced Enduro's with NTNs in Wheels shells and had great luck with them. Someone asked about replacing the 24mm Shimano NDS bearing with a 22mm for GXP, this works fine and is what I'm doing. The shell is the same, the NDS bearing is the only difference.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

300daysofsunshine

by 300daysofsunshine

Hi all - first post here. I read all 88 pages of this thread trying to make a decision on a new bike. I went and test road a DI2 Aspero and loved it (will primarily be using this as a fat-tire road bike, I started down the road of endurance road bikes, saw the Exploro as a dual-use option, learned about the Aspero and found it worked for me a bit better than an Exploro), and was about to pull the trigger at a local shop. The next day, the Aspero 5 was announced. Currently waiting for my purple GRX DI2 - should come in early June. Excited to share pictures.

gSporco

by gSporco

300daysofsunshine wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:54 am
Hi all - first post here. I read all 88 pages of this thread trying to make a decision on a new bike. I went and test road a DI2 Aspero and loved it (will primarily be using this as a fat-tire road bike, I started down the road of endurance road bikes, saw the Exploro as a dual-use option, learned about the Aspero and found it worked for me a bit better than an Exploro), and was about to pull the trigger at a local shop. The next day, the Aspero 5 was announced. Currently waiting for my purple GRX DI2 - should come in early June. Excited to share pictures.
Congratulations, can't wait to see it. Hope you love it, I know i do. Its my favorite and most used bike in my quiver
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Got all my parts swapped. Started as a 1x apex build. Added Zipp FC with 240's, specialized Terra post, GRX Di2 2x, Stages single sided PM,, sram 11-36 cassette, deda stem, trying out the Pro Discover 12 bars, Kogel BB with their rear pulleys. Going to drop the bars down again and see if I can get the fit better. Love the bike, climbs really well.

Last edited by Hapsmo911 on Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobJ

by RobJ

Hapsmo911 wrote:Got all my parts swapped. Started as a 1x apex build. Added Zipp FC with 240's, specialized Terra post, GRX Di2 2x, sram 11-36 cassette, deda stem, trying out the Pro Discover 12 bars, Kogel BB with their rear pulleys. Going to drop the bars down again and see if I can get the fit better. Love the bike, climbs really well.

Looks very nicely sorted out! Everything proportioned right. Are those GK SK tires? Size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

RobJ wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm
Hapsmo911 wrote:Got all my parts swapped. Started as a 1x apex build. Added Zipp FC with 240's, specialized Terra post, GRX Di2 2x, sram 11-36 cassette, deda stem, trying out the Pro Discover 12 bars, Kogel BB with their rear pulleys. Going to drop the bars down again and see if I can get the fit better. Love the bike, climbs really well.

Looks very nicely sorted out! Everything proportioned right. Are those GK SK tires? Size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! And yes GK in 38cc

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

[mention]IrrelevantD [/mention] you seem to be pretty in the know so quick question… how does the Aspero compare to the 3T Exploro RaceMax? I’m on the fence between these two bikes. I love the idea of the RaceMax because there aren’t many out there in my area and I love the blue/orange color way. I like that the Aspero is a little lighter and significantly cheaper. I have everything needed for a complete build except frame and fork so I could get into an Aspero for a whole lot less. I would use this as my “one bike to rule them all” with two wheel sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gSporco

by gSporco

Relientk1202 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:47 pm
[mention]IrrelevantD [/mention] you seem to be pretty in the know so quick question… how does the Aspero compare to the 3T Exploro RaceMax? I’m on the fence between these two bikes. I love the idea of the RaceMax because there aren’t many out there in my area and I love the blue/orange color way. I like that the Aspero is a little lighter and significantly cheaper. I have everything needed for a complete build except frame and fork so I could get into an Aspero for a whole lot less. I would use this as my “one bike to rule them all” with two wheel sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ill take a stab at this before @IrrelevantD responds

The racemax is:
Heavier
Taller stack
More endurance/ relaxed geometry
160mm is the smallest rear rotor that you can use
Proprietary headset bearings
Proprietary seatpost
Bottom bracket area is hollow in the middle with only 2 contact points for the cups (may not be as stiff as the Aspero)

Aspero:
Lighter frame
Lower stack
Race geometry nearly identical to the R5
Can use 140 or 160mm rotors front and back
Standard 27.2 round seatpost with external clamp
Headset bearings are not proprietary and can be replaced by multiple brands
Bottom bracket shell is a solid tube construction and feels stiffer than my 3T strada

Im sure there is more, but get whichever tickles your fancy more :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kanonengedonner

by kanonengedonner

kanonengedonner wrote:
So I thought my drive side bearings were shot...well they were. But it is worse. The drive side bottom bracket came loose by about 2mm. So the threaded part somehow got unscrewed..who knows for how long, and who knows if the bad bearings are a result of that or not!

Never seen anything like that. I put Wheelsmfg BB on it ...will see if all is good! I didn't even want to call Cervelo about this!
-Colnago C60
-Cervélo Áspero

fa63

by fa63

Anybody know if the 51 cm frameset comes with a setback or non-setback seatpost? Also, what is the stem length on the 51?

gSporco

by gSporco

fa63 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:59 pm
Anybody know if the 51 cm frameset comes with a setback or non-setback seatpost? Also, what is the stem length on the 51?
0 setback
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com