Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ooookaaay

by Ooookaaay

Recommendations for the size of aspero are needed. My height is 181cm, inseam 88cm. The last bike is supersix 56. Mainly will be used for road and sometimes gravel :)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Ooookaaay wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 pm
Recommendations for the size of aspero are needed. My height is 181cm, inseam 88cm. The last bike is supersix 56. Mainly will be used for road and sometimes gravel :)
I just did a quick look, and the SuperSix EVO geometry seems to change frequently, but I'd say a 56 is going to be your best bet. Looks like the stack height difference is maybe 13~20mm taller on the Aspero, and 4~7mm longer depending on what year you're coming from. Easily made up for with a different stem or less spacers depending on how you had the Six setup.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tnkn

by tnkn

Hey all. Any one running mudguards on their Aspero during these muckier months? If so what's working and what's not? I'm very tempted by a frameset but need some sort guard. As close to a full length as possible.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

tnkn wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:59 am
Hey all. Any one running mudguards on their Aspero during these muckier months? If so what's working and what's not? I'm very tempted by a frameset but need some sort guard. As close to a full length as possible.
There are absolutely no mounts for guards, racks, etc, so you'd have to use something that attaches via zip ties, rubber straps, etc. I have no knowledge of how well these work, but there should be pleanty of clearance if you run 35 or so mm tires.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

tnkn

by tnkn

Cheers @IrrelevantD

Looking at the frame geometry it's quite long. I ride 54cm S-Works Tarmac Disc and compared the Cervelo comes out a lot longer.

I run a 90mm stem on my Spesh which feels great, but not sure about the Aspero. I don't want to end up with a frame that feels like I'm stretching too much, but don't want a short ugly looking stem on a bike like that.

Any thoughts?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

tnkn wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:34 pm
Cheers @IrrelevantD

Looking at the frame geometry it's quite long. I ride 54cm S-Works Tarmac Disc and compared the Cervelo comes out a lot longer.

I run a 90mm stem on my Spesh which feels great, but not sure about the Aspero. I don't want to end up with a frame that feels like I'm stretching too much, but don't want a short ugly looking stem on a bike like that.

Any thoughts?
Looking at the stack and reach of the 54 Tarmac vs the 54 Aspero, the Aspero is only 4mm longer reach, but is 11mm higher stack. Honestly, I think running the bars a little higher is going to offset the reach and you'll be fine on a 54, but the only way to tell for sure is to ride one. You'll want the bars a little higher on gravel anyway. You could always get bars with a little more drop if you need to get down in a more aero position.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm
tnkn wrote:
Cheers @IrrelevantD

Any thoughts?
Looking at the stack and reach of the 54 Tarmac vs the 54 Aspero, the Aspero is only 4mm longer reach, but is 11mm higher stack. Honestly, I think running the bars a little higher is going to offset the reach and you'll be fine on a 54, but the only way to tell for sure is to ride one. You'll want the bars a little higher on gravel anyway. You could always get bars with a little more drop if you need to get down in a more aero position.
You will definitely want to be a bit more upright, and a bit further back on a gravel bike.....otherwise, you are in danger of losing some degree of control, and pitching forward off the bike on tricky downhills.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

NYCPrynne wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm
tnkn wrote:
Cheers @IrrelevantD

Any thoughts?
You will definitely want to be a bit more upright, and a bit further back on a gravel bike.....otherwise, you are in danger of losing some degree of control, and pitching forward off the bike on tricky downhills.
I agree with this, but as you reduce the saddle to bar drop, you also reduce the reach. Reach being the distance between the center of the tubes at the top of the headset, the saddle to bar distance will change depending on several factors such as head tube angle and how many spacers and stem angle. Assuming you don't drop the bars to acomodate the 11mm change in stack height, you're not going to perceive as much the 4mm increased reach. Think of your hips as a reference point, if you're bringing your hands higher, they are naturally going to be out further until you hit a perfectly flat saddle/bar drop.

I don't think going down to a size 51 would be a good option as while the reach would only be shortened by 5mm, the stack height would be 14mm lower on the 51. Adding spacers under the stem to make up for the stack would bring the reach further back due to the angle of the HT.

A 72º head tube (54) with a -16º stem and 13mm of spacers is going to be 2mm shorter than 0 spacers and a -8º stem and no change in stack.
On a 51, with a 71.5º HT, putting 14mm of spacers under a -8º stem to match the stack difference is going to bring the reach back another 5mm. If you want to raise the bars for gravel, you're going to bring back the reach even further. Honestly, I think going from a 54 Tarmac down to a 51 Aspero is just too big of a jump, but I'm only speaking from my personal opinion, best thing to do is to get fitted for the bike.

I will just throw these down below... something fun things to to play with to see the diferences betwen frames and to try to sort out stem sizes/positions.

Stem copmparison tool - http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
99 Spokes Frame Comparison - https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=cerv ... meset-2020

Ooookaaay

by Ooookaaay

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 pm
Ooookaaay wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 pm
I just did a quick look, and the SuperSix EVO geometry seems to change frequently, but I'd say a 56 is going to be your best bet. Looks like the stack height difference is maybe 13~20mm taller on the Aspero, and 4~7mm longer depending on what year you're coming from. Easily made up for with a different stem or less spacers depending on how you had the Six setup.
Thank you very much for the answer, you are absolutely right. I received Aspero 54, which I did order for my wife, and it is absolutely small for me. Because of sloping, the seatpost is almost completely exposed, the difference between the height of the saddle and the handlebar is catastrophically huge. The front axle in this configuration will be heavily overloaded.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Glad I could help.

dmtevo

by dmtevo

Could this be the "do it all" bike?

I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my aluminium gravel bike and my carbon aero road bike. The geometry looks like an endurance road bike with a capability of using different wheel sizes.

Any thoughts?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

dmtevo wrote:Could this be the "do it all" bike?

I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my aluminium gravel bike and my carbon aero road bike. The geometry looks like an endurance road bike with a capability of using different wheel sizes.

Any thoughts?
I built mine to be just this but am running 700x38 rubber full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I was looking at your build earlier. Looks lovely!

My current build is di2 1x 42, (10-42) using the XT rear mech. I'll probably convert to 2x with Ultegra RX.

How do you find the bike on the climbs..? at just over 7kg it must be pretty nimble?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dmtevo wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:38 pm
Could this be the "do it all" bike?

Any thoughts?
Yes.

I bought a 54 Aspero and was able to replicate the position on my size 56 Allez Sprint. My primary intention in going with the Aspero was to replace my road and CX bikes and have this be my one bike for all with 80~90% of use being on the road.

I put Conti GT5000TL 28s on it and leaving the chip in the forward position (lower trail), it feels every bit as nimble as my Sprint did. Longer wheelbase and lower BB makes it feel more stable cornering at speed. It might be a touch slower in a straight line, but that could also be due to rolling resistance as 700x28's are about 3mm wider (@31mm) on the Easton AX rims than the rim brake HEDs I had on the Sprint. Power transfer is every bit, if not more stiff and I notice that most when climbing. Biggest downside for me on road is the 50T front ring limitation. It's relatively flat where I live and I have a tendancy to grind at ~80RPM in big gears. Not a huge issue, but I do notice I'm down in the 11-13T cogs more.

As for gravel, coming from using a Trek Crockett (cx) with 700x38's, the Aspero is much more stable with 40s at speed. I have also done some light and intermediate single track, and while it's not quite as nimble as the Crockett in tight cornering, and the lower BB has given me more pedal strikes especially on rocky climbs. That being said, I have bested my previous PRs on every trail I've taken it on so far.

The only place that I can see that it will have issues is going to be as a bikepacking rig. I'm sure you can find some way to give it cargo capcity, but it wouldn't be ideal. I don't do any of that, so it works great for what I wanted.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

dmtevo wrote:I was looking at your build earlier. Looks lovely!

My current build is di2 1x 42, (10-42) using the XT rear mech. I'll probably convert to 2x with Ultegra RX.

How do you find the bike on the climbs..? at just over 7kg it must be pretty nimble?
Thanks, I’m pretty lucky to have such an awesome build. The bike climbs just fine, on and off road. Feels a lot like my S3 felt. If I know the ride is only paved road and has a lot of elevation, I would opt for my Focus as it’s over a kg lighter but these types of rides are few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com