37mm-40mm gravel tyres, best inner rim width? 20mm, 22mm, 24mm?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MattMay

by MattMay

I ride these, 23 mm internal. Love them. 42mm WTB Resolutes, perfect go-anywhere blend (for me).

https://www.ridefastracing.com/products/hotwire-30

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I recently put on some Stans Valor Pro wheels on my Cannomndale Slate (650B) with the 42C WTB Resolutes. The rims are 21.6mm internal and thew tyres fit fine. Thery measure spot on to 42mm wide.

According to Gravel Cyclist, the WTB Resolutes are designbed for 23mm internal width rims, but they also mounted tem to some AC Wide MTB rims (29.3mm internal) without issues

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Marin wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:49 am
TheRich wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 pm
Yeah, that's a trash opinion.

Although gravel sized tires lack the grip to really stress the tire to the point that MTBs do, wider rims increase volume which adds comfort/durability.
Wider tires also do that
:thumbup:

Think what's seldom said here on Wallet Weenies is the wide rim pipeline is still in process of being filled. They move.. money is moving. No matter any factual data/ real world experience contrary to that goal... which is always panned in favor of selling the wares.

Group pic of the majority of the buying public:

Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

TheRich

by TheRich

WinterRider wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 am
Marin wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:49 am
TheRich wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 pm
Yeah, that's a trash opinion.

Although gravel sized tires lack the grip to really stress the tire to the point that MTBs do, wider rims increase volume which adds comfort/durability.
Wider tires also do that
:thumbup:

Think what's seldom said here on Wallet Weenies is the wide rim pipeline is still in process of being filled. They move.. money is moving. No matter any factual data/ real world experience contrary to that goal... which is always panned in favor of selling the wares.
Nobody ever said you have to do this or that, just that one option is better than another. If the option you currently have is on the not better side, try not to take it personally.