2020 Cannondale Topstone - Carbon

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

rides4beer wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:23 pm
Odd that they would reduce tire clearance with the new version. No pivot point at the BB, so the rear just flexes 30mm, interesting.
My Cannondale Scalpel has been flexing 80mm with no pivots at the BB or the dropouts for over ten years, it won't be an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Apparently it flexes 30mm "at the saddle"

So this just sounds like a slightly fancy name for compliance

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/cann ... bon-427863
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

bartdk

by bartdk

Too bad they haven't released the ALU versions of the new Topstone. I wanted to get me one to ride to work in the summer and some longer trips in the weekend, but the current version are all sold out. I don't think they'll appear in store before end-Summer. The carbon version is a bit too expensive to use as a commuter...

CoopersCup

by CoopersCup

I got mine yesterday. Swapped from the 2019 aluminium 105 version. SO much better to ride imo. & it's way faster. Really pleased with it.

cerro

by cerro

Anyone really tried the Topstone Carbon as a roadbike with other riders on roadbikes? How is it? Can it be an everything bike with a couple of wheelsets or a bit too slow for keeping up with fast roadriders?

Hoven

by Hoven

Someone who bought it and can tell me if there is a lower headsetcover under the cone or can tell me one with the right diameter :D

Can’t wait to get it!

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Can someone confirm if the bottom bracket is PF30A or BB30A?
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

grover

by grover

I have not actually held one in my hands. However I do have a SuperX. It is listed as BB30A83 on the website, but actually is PF30A83. So I'm guessing the Topstone will be PF not BB too.

Note that it's an 83mm wide shell like the SuperX, F-Si and Scalpel-Si with the Ai offset drivetrain (wider chainline required).

Orbital

by Orbital

Trying to pull the trigger on one of these but the sizing is a bit different from other Cannondale bikes. I ride a 2014 SuperSix EVO in 56 with zero setback seatpost and 110mm stem. The Topstone sizing would put me on a medium which is closer to a 55. A large would be closer to a 58. Would love to just try one out but LBS would have to bring one in. Unless I make the trek into Vancouver and hope Biccicleta has both to try.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I pulled trigger and I should be building one next week. Let’s see if I can make build thread.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

grover

by grover

Orbital wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm
Trying to pull the trigger on one of these but the sizing is a bit different from other Cannondale bikes. I ride a 2014 SuperSix EVO in 56 with zero setback seatpost and 110mm stem. The Topstone sizing would put me on a medium which is closer to a 55. A large would be closer to a 58. Would love to just try one out but LBS would have to bring one in. Unless I make the trek into Vancouver and hope Biccicleta has both to try.
When you correct for stack height difference, the reach between the medium and large Topstone is quite similar. So how many spacers (including the headset top cap) do you have under your stem on the SSevo? If ~1cm then go medium, if ~4cm then go large. That's assuming you want the same bar height as your SSevo. Many people would prefer to have their bars a couple of cm higher on their gravel bike, so the large becomes the better choice. If you want to replicate an agile road bike, medium. If you want a stable bike more trail worthy, large.

The other thing to consider is the seat tube length. The medium is 5cm shorter. That's a substantial amount of extra seatpost for extra flex/comfort. Or it's substantially less room for frame bags in the triangle. What's your intended use?

Orbital

by Orbital

grover wrote:
Orbital wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm
When you correct for stack height difference, the reach between the medium and large Topstone is quite similar. So how many spacers (including the headset top cap) do you have under your stem on the SSevo? If ~1cm then go medium, if ~4cm then go large. That's assuming you want the same bar height as your SSevo. Many people would prefer to have their bars a couple of cm higher on their gravel bike, so the large becomes the better choice. If you want to replicate an agile road bike, medium. If you want a stable bike more trail worthy, large.

The other thing to consider is the seat tube length. The medium is 5cm shorter. That's a substantial amount of extra seatpost for extra flex/comfort. Or it's substantially less room for frame bags in the triangle. What's your intended use?
The plan is to use it for a rain bike and to ride dyke trails. No bags. Maybe the odd commute to work. I was hoping to get the fit close to the SS but maybe a bit more stack. The SS has 15mm spacers under the -10 degree stem at the moment. I don’t want to run a longer stem because I’m concerned about steering, although none of the trails are technical. In my mind the medium is the one, I just want to make sure.

grover

by grover

Yeah agree. If you want it to ride like a road bike, just with bigger tyres, lower gearing and the option of fenders, then go medium. I think they come with pretty short stems so you'll probably be changing it out for a 110 or 120 and removing all the spacers under the stem.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

TurboKoo: Size? Did you weigh the frame just?