Need some info about going 11 speed on Kona Rove

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dkoor

by dkoor

Hi. For some time now I've been thinking of going 11-speed.
My current setup on Kona Rove 2013 is stock 2x10 46-36 Apex crankset, Rival derailleur, SRAM GXP BB.
Changed from stock bar to flat bar and SRAM SL-700 10-Speed Flatbar Trigger shifters...
On same rims, front and rear, I've changed from stock hubs to DT Swiss 350's.

My rear hub is DT Swiss 350 - 6-Bolt - QR 10x135mm - 32 Hole and it is cause of my biggest concern in regard of transferring from 10 to 11 speed.
I don't know if it can be modified to accept 11 speed cassette, any input on this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Is there a small spacer behind the cassette?

If there is, remove the spacer and a 11speed cassette should not be a problem.

If it is an older hub with a 10sp freehub and you don't want to go down the path of swapping the freehub, you could possibly use the Shimano HG700 or HG800 (both 11-34) cassette which are 11 speed cassettes designed to work on a 10sp freehub.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

dkoor

by dkoor

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:Is there a small spacer behind the cassette?

If there is, remove the spacer and a 11speed cassette should not be a problem.

If it is an older hub with a 10sp freehub and you don't want to go down the path of swapping the freehub, you could possibly use the Shimano HG700 or HG800 (both 11-34) cassette which are 11 speed cassettes designed to work on a 10sp freehub.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed.
I primarily wanna make the switch to 11 speed because of two reasons:
1. Option to run new Shimano GRX 1x11
2. My old stock 2x drive train with cassete is ready to be replaced

Shimano GRX looks mighty fine, it will make an excellent choice for me. I just hope I'll be able to make that 11 speed hub switch without splashing too much cash... my "old" 350 rear hub is practically new it was purchased/installed new last year. Can still be bought from Bike24.com today.

Anyway, I will check if there is a spacer on my hub tonight, but I'm glad that I have an option with those Shimano cassettes even if I don't have that spacer.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

whyamihere

by whyamihere

If you're running a flat bar, why not use MTB bits? MTB 11 speed cassettes fit on a 10 speed road freehub body.

dkoor

by dkoor

whyamihere wrote:If you're running a flat bar, why not use MTB bits? MTB 11 speed cassettes fit on a 10 speed road freehub body.
Actually I would like very much to run a wide range MTB cassette, I find that when opportunity calls I could still be able to run as fast as some 35kph which I find about top speed of the setup (and my legs) that I rarely do...

Then I think I would do just fine with 40 teeth Shimano GRX FC-RX600 (which fits my bottom bracket slot), Shimano SLX RD-M7000-11-GS Shadow derailleur and say Shimano SLX CS-M7000 cassette 11-40? I suppose shifters don't really matter, Deore, SLX, XT etc. as long as they're Shimanos'... Can I do this setup then?
My bottom bracket is now SRAM GXP, but I can perhaps change it to Shimano compatible GXP BB, would this Shimano XTR SM-BB93 Bottom Bracket BSA Hollowtech II fit into my BB slot and accept GRX crankset?

Could this setup work?

Thanks for input guys, I appreciate itImageImage

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

You can use a Shimano 11-34, 11-40, 11-42 or 11-46 cassette on a ten speed road freehub body. Sunrace also make an 11-36 that will do it.

dkoor

by dkoor

Wow, nice 8) ... I've noticed couple of Sunrace cassetes also, they are in range with what I've been searching quality/price wise... they had wider range that Shimano used to make on their cassetes, nowadays they all go 40+ teeth...
I think I'd be good with ANY of those cassetes really, as I live on practically flat terrain with occasional smaller hill here and there... 11-40 will be my max anyway :)

SunRace CSMX8 Cassette 11-speed

:thumbup:

Now I just have to pick the right BB, Shimano Tiagra BB-RS500 seems fine as it is recommended by Shimano for GRX crankset and should be fitting nicely in Kona Rove 2013 frame.

Bcoxa

by Bcoxa

Why change the bb and crank, rather than just get something like an absolute black single ring for your existing Apex crank?

dkoor

by dkoor

Bcoxa wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am
Why change the bb and crank, rather than just get something like an absolute black single ring for your existing Apex crank?
That Tiagra BB is quite cheap only 10.5€ , combo BB+crankset should be like max. 50€ more than just good chainring.
I'm going by the logic that with dedicated Shimano 1x drive I'll probably bypass any of the potential bad issues I may encounter, I'll probably be good "right out of the box".
Ofc I may not be right about this, however I had some minor issues with compatibility in the past so I wanted to avoid that.

For instance, even the nice KMC X-10.93 chain I bought once was producing noticeably more noise than PC 1050 the one I have now on my SRAM drivetrain.

dkoor

by dkoor

I hope that the spacer (or lack of thereof) can be seen on pics :) .
This is a stock Kona Rove 2013 SRAM cassette on DT Swiss 350 QR 10x135 6-bolt (year 2017) hub. Same hub can be purchased today (just checked the stock on bike24.com).
I have 350 hubs front and rear, they are really nice... rear hub is not loud tho, may be an issue with some folks. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dkoor

by dkoor

I'm here again because I ran onto some problems... I never realized that Shimano Road shifter 11-speed and Shimano MTB derailleur 11-speed (and vice versa MTB shifter with road derrailleur) apparently can't be mixed up, so now I'm in a bit of a problem.
I planned to use either SLX 11-speed or XT 11-speed on Shimano GRX RD-RX812-GS derailleur but since it apparently counts as being part of the Shimano Road derailleurs (for all I know, I could be using Ultegra road levers with it), those MTB shifters won't work with it properly.

Long story short. To avoid further problems, and to give myself more options, can I then assemble this drivetrain for my Kona Rove 2013:
- SLX or XT 11-speed shifter
- Shimano Dura Ace BB-R9100 Bottom Bracket Cups
- Shimano GRX FC-RX600 Crankset 1x11-speed
- Shimano SLX RD-M7000-11-GS Shadow or Shimano Deore XT RD-M8000-GS Rear Derailleur medium 11-speed

?

I went for medium cage rear derraileurs as it appears I don't have to run long cage (?)...

Any input appreciated!