shimano grx

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

tomh79 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm
Another think to keep in mind, though, is that you'll need to use the GRX front derailleur, with the crank, due to the different offset in chainline.
True! But then - I've read in this forum (I think) that several people got it working with the 105 FD?! Not sure if I should try first and then order the GRX FD...or just send it back...
I came across the same thing...seems like some are able to get it to work with a 105/Ultegra FD. Maybe it comes down to how the frame/hanger positions the FD?
I ended up replacing the entire groupset, so I never tried it with the 105 that was on the bike already.

Personally, I'd order both. And if you want to save some money, try it with the 105 and if it works, send the GRX one back. If not, then you have it hand, so you won't have to order it and wait.

tomh79

by tomh79

jmfreeman535 wrote:

Personally, I'd order both. And if you want to save some money, try it with the 105 and if it works, send the GRX one back. If not, then you have it hand, so you won't have to order it and wait.
Makes sense! Do you like it so far? I never seen it in real life..only internet/youtube - quality seems ok / Ultegra level?

by Weenie

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

tomh79 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:

Makes sense! Do you like it so far? I never seen it in real life..only internet/youtube - quality seems ok / Ultegra level?
The quality of it is really nice, and I'd rate it slightly higher than Ultegra, perfromance wise, even.

kytyree

by kytyree

I'd agree with that, I'm using GRX Di2 but being a more recent release I think the shape of the levers for example is an improvement. The cranks seem solid to me, and I've ridden the group quite a bit since I put it on my bike. Realistically though 105 also works very well right now. I've been saying for some time that the function of the 105 group, for the price, is to me the most impressive thing available.

robertbb

by robertbb

kytyree wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 pm
I'd agree with that, I'm using GRX Di2 but being a more recent release I think the shape of the levers for example is an improvement. The cranks seem solid to me, and I've ridden the group quite a bit since I put it on my bike. Realistically though 105 also works very well right now. I've been saying for some time that the function of the 105 group, for the price, is to me the most impressive thing available.
The 105 hydro levers are over 600 grams. It's extremely heavy.

If only there was a 105 small hands non-hydro brifter...