Light, Durable and Wide Rim Brake Wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

thelorax121

by thelorax121

I have a moots build Hampsten that I am looking to upgrade the wheels on and search for suggestions. It is set up for rim brakes and I am looking for a set of wheels that will work well with 32c tubeless tires, are durable enough for rough gravel riding (no technical singletrack) and 1600g or less. Currently looking at the Pacenti Forza wheelset as well as HED Ardennes+, any others that fit the bill? I weigh 84kg for reference. Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoO

by JoO

I like my velocity quill rims 622-21 (100 GBP per rim)

and kinlin XR22 622-19 (asymetric rear builds into a very stiff wheel and is very cheap 35 GBP per rim)

Go for 28 spokes in the rear and 24 in the front.

thelorax121

by thelorax121

JoO wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:45 pm
I like my velocity quill rims 622-21 (100 GBP per rim)

and kinlin XR22 622-19 (asymetric rear builds into a very stiff wheel and is very cheap 35 GBP per rim)

Go for 28 spokes in the rear and 24 in the front.
Thanks for the recommendations. You think 24/28 with these rims at my weight would be stiff enough?

JoO

by JoO

I am a lightweight myself.
84 kgs is not that heavy.
If you want more bombproof. :
-use thicker 1.8 spokes (sapim race or equivalent) instead of 1.5 (sapim laser or equivalent)
-choose kinlin XR26 (stiffer rim due to more material + marginally better bracing angle
-up the spoke count to 32/28

Hex

by Hex

I think i can contribute.

Besides the spoke count and spoke gauge discussed above (well recommended, by the way) my research has suggested that in the alloy world, the HED Ardennes (Belgium) plus are the wheels/rims to go to. Second to none. Great internal and external width. Very easy to make a strong wheel with those rims.

I'm in your weight category (80kg) and I'm seriously considering a set of those for my gravel build. You can't (as far as I know) find a wider rim, internal or external, in alloy. You'd need to go carbon to go wider than the HED.

JoO

by JoO

Hex wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 pm
I think i can contribute.

Besides the spoke count and spoke gauge discussed above (well recommended, by the way) my research has suggested that in the alloy world, the HED Ardennes (Belgium) plus are the wheels/rims to go to. Second to none. Great internal and external width. Very easy to make a strong wheel with those rims.

I'm in your weight category (80kg) and I'm seriously considering a set of those for my gravel build. You can't (as far as I know) find a wider rim, internal or external, in alloy. You'd need to go carbon to go wider than the HED.
Mavic all road wheels are wider 622-22
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-el ... #1028=3283

JoO

by JoO

This topic might also be usefull:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=152298&start=15

thelorax121

by thelorax121

Thanks for the input all.

I just ordered a set of the Hunt 4 Season wheels https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collectio ... ep-22wide to give me a starting point at 24 outer width 19 inner

Ill report back on my experience with them, at the very least, they will give me input on what I like/dont when putting together a set of handbuilts

Marin

by Marin

thelorax121 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 am
Thanks for the input all.

I just ordered a set of the Hunt 4 Season wheels https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collectio ... ep-22wide to give me a starting point at 24 outer width 19 inner

Ill report back on my experience with them, at the very least, they will give me input on what I like/dont when putting together a set of handbuilts
Please post a weight when you get them!

thelorax121

by thelorax121

Will do. They seem to get good reviews, basically, just Kinlin rims, bitex hubs with upgraded bearings and butted spokes, but for the price, I could barely purchase the individual components, nevermind a built wheelset. We'll see how long it takes for them to get across the pond to Colorado....

Bcoxa

by Bcoxa

I have two sets,
I'd recommend taking the freehub off and lubing the little collar that is on there. Has a tendency to speak otherwise.

Check the dust covers are done up.

Also the brake tracks are very narrow. Alignment needs to be checked regularly or you end up rubbing paint off.

Other than the odd trueing my older set have done around 10,000ks and now just replacing the bearings on the rear.

Have taken some abuse and still going round. Happy owner.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Bcoxa wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:39 pm
I have two sets,
I'd recommend taking the freehub off and lubing the little collar that is on there. Has a tendency to speak otherwise.

Check the dust covers are done up.

Also the brake tracks are very narrow. Alignment needs to be checked regularly or you end up rubbing paint off.

Other than the odd trueing my older set have done around 10,000ks and now just replacing the bearings on the rear.

Have taken some abuse and still going round. Happy owner.
My experince is similar. I have the 4Season disc and the dust cover on the front wheel came loose. It was making a right old racket on the ride when it happened! Since I tightened it it's been fine. Thanks for the tip on the freehub as mine has been slightly noisy as well. I'll try that and hopefully it helps :D
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

light wide rims. Well thats two then. The kinlin XR22T and the mavic open pro ust which is even lighter. the forza's are not light and the HED is pricey. the XR26T rim is 485g like the forza weight. You can build 1600g wheel with either rim but only with light tawianese hub like Bitex and then using thin spokes. Forget upping the spoke count and keeping to the weight target.

Lace to reliable hubs. A 24F/28R set of the Mavic rims on miche hubs with Sapim force spokes rear and lasers front would be 1570g. There you go. Light, wide and reliable.

All the other other suggestions above miss the OP objective. The Kinlin XR22T rims add 60g.

Mavic are charging 800USD for there version although it wider and lower spoke count. My version is alot cheaper and stffer/more reliable due to alot more spokes and not thin flinsy ones either while still being lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry to the OP for coming in after the purchase has already been made. But IMO there is one wheelset that rules them all when it comes to wide and strong for rim brake. Mavic Allroad Elite! The rim brake version is 22 mm wide internal, has the best tubeless design going, and weighs about 1600 grams. I just absolutely tortured the f**k out of a set for two weeks of rain and the worst roads and they did not budge. Super impressed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.